Postgame thread (8/17/24) - Bills at Steelers

Good Nights:

The Entire RB room- All of them made the most of their opportunities

The Entire 2nd team OL- Most will give credit to SVP and Anderson but Gouriage and Grable we're moving guys as well. I actually think that VanDeMark had the worst game out of the 2nd team OL (even though he didn't play bad)

Javon Solomon- Looked very good tonight getting around and has explosion to get to the QB

DeAndre Carter- Saw him on some reps get in the backfield and scrape down the line on the run and got the pressure on Fields that almost led to a sack. Good night for the rookie.

DaQuan Hardy- Kid looks very competent at both inside and outside CB despite his smaller stature. Can he take hold of the punt return job and threaten Cam Lewis for the backup Nickle spot while providing depth on the outside.

Joe Andreessen- I mean what can you say. He was all over the field in the run game and hustling around the football field. Would like to go back and see how he did in the passing game but he looked like he was hustling to at least find a man to cover. Definetely has given him a shot to make the roster as a ST's/depth LB.

The Starting secondary and DL was also good but I'll let that be.

Bad Nights:

Mitch Trubisky- I mean he needs to be better.

Kingsley Jonathan- Last week he had 3 penalties and this week he allowed Fields to escape contain for a big run and missed a tackle albeit while being held.

The WR Room- If only for a lack of opportunities trying to keep everyone healthy, Allen not playing, DiNucci barely being here to learn the playbook, and the sloppy weather conditions.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, Turbo44 said:

I thought run blocking was 200% better than the CHI game. Yes, RB's ran hard and made some very good cuts, but when you run for 167 yards at 4.9 per clip, the oline blocked well in the running game

they opened a hole for the rb..that was about all  they did...but...we'll see what happens come reg season.    

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Not sure if it was posted in the game thread but here is the pass to coleman in the endzone.

Nice to see it closer. Definitely catchable, but a poor ball and I think this is an easy TD with Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Not sure if it was posted in the game thread but here is the pass to coleman in the endzone.

First it was a wobbly too far out in front throw. Trubisky also needed to hit that immediately when Coleman got separation instead he held it too long allowing the safety to get into the play. With that said Coleman can still catch that but I don't blame him for not putting himself at risk in a preseason game

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

First it was a wobbly too far out in front throw. Trubisky also needed to hit that immediately when Coleman got separation instead he held it too long allowing the safety to get into the play. With that said Coleman can still catch that but I don't blame him for not putting himself at risk in a preseason game

Exactly.  In a game that counted we will see if Keon lays it all out or not.  No need to do it there.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He's gotta catch that. Looks like he alligator-armed it with the incoming hit. It's preseason so probably the wise move. Would hate to see this when the games matter though.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you get your hands on it you need to catch it.

It barely hit his back hand and was a wobbly ball.  Should he catch it, yes.  Was a pretty bad ball and placement.

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

that is a terrible pass.  That ball has to hit him between the numbers or down low.  Not to mention it looked like phil niekro threw it.

textbook definition of a medicine ball.  If he goes all out and extends he is going to get hammered.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

My top concerns this year, safety and ability to pressure off the edges. This game provided very little information about safety but I feel a whole lot better about the pressure from the outside.

50 looks ready to explode this year but I’m really intrigued by Solomon, we may have struck gold here folks, he looks quick and powerful.

Leads the nation in sacks at irrelevant Troy at 6’1” and because of those details is available to the first team lucky enough on day 3 to turn in the card.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 2

How about the rookie class so far..

Due to injury and lack of opportunity, not sure what we have in Keon or Bishop yet, but hard not to get excited about the roster building potential of guys like Carter, Davis, Solomon, Van Pran Granger, Harty, Grable, Andreeson and Gore. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, julian said:

My top concerns this year, safety and ability to pressure off the edges. This game provided very little information about safety but I feel a whole lot better about the pressure from the outside.

50 looks ready to explode this year but I’m really intrigued by Solomon, we may have struck gold here folks, he looks quick and powerful.

Leads the nation in sacks at irrelevant Troy at 6’1” and because of those details is available to the first team lucky enough on day 3 to turn in the card.

Hey osi umenyiora and demarcus ware went to troy so there is a precedent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1