Postgame thread (8/17/24) - Bills at Steelers

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hardy is gonna make this team as a DB regardless if he wins the returner job IMHO.  He’s really impressed me 2 weeks in a row.

I think he already won the KR job.  McD is working at CB to see how valuable he can be besides returning kicks.

I thought Jonathan played well tonight.  

Wilson and Fields are terrible.  That said, I'd take Fields over what I saw from Trubisky.  Fields can at least make something happen with his legs.  Give him to Brady for a couple of years and he'll turn him into a QB.

Edited by GASabresIUFan

42 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Joe Brady has good run schemes but is absolutely clueless with any semblance of a pass attack.  Blame Trubisky all you want but it’s Brady.

It’s too early for any meaningful game plans at this point.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It seems like there are very few roster battles. There are like 45-50 guys we know that are going to make it and 2 or 3 battles for back end spots. Not sure what that says about our depth but I’m expecting very few surprises on cut down day

Agree, but it will be about injuries and how many guys they get to IR that will be the big questions.

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It seems like there are very few roster battles. There are like 45-50 guys we know that are going to make it and 2 or 3 battles for back end spots. Not sure what that says about our depth but I’m expecting very few surprises on cut down day

this is probably true.  They have numbers at Offensive Line, Tight End and running back.  They are going to have to cut good players there.

They are short on players at safety because of injuries and now possibly at wr.  

not to mention they must be frightened with the way Trubisky played tonight.

also what happens to gilliam?

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Thad Brown just roasted Coleman for turtling up on that pass.  He said if he were established as a receiver in the league, he could understand it...why risk injury in a preseason game.  But since Coleman isn't an established receiver, he needs to lay out to make the catch. Seriously?  So he lays out, makes the catch and gets seriously injured.  What sense does that make?

Thad is a dillweed.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I know we are all complaining about Trubisky, but Fields looked terrible. He has no ability to make a throw from the pocket. 

Lots of QBs have looked bad this preseason.  Defenses have evolved to where very few can really implement a timing and rhythm offense.

fields and Wilson both looked very bad in pocket

2 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

God bless anyone who actually watched that game. 

I'll watch the condensed version later. I was busy and couldn't watch it live. Looking at the final score, I'm happy I didn't.

7 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Lots of QBs have looked bad this preseason.  Defenses have evolved to where very few can really implement a timing and rhythm offense.

fields and Wilson both looked very bad in pocket

To me, Wilson looked okay. At least he made throws from the pocket. He took sacks, but that has always been a problem for him.

Fields just ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good

"Buffalo" Joe Andreessen.  Bills MVP, was all over the field, TFLs, PDs, taking on bigger OL and TEs and stuffing them.  Kid was a highlight reel and played himself onto the team.  Looked better than Williams against the Squeelers 1's.  Love this guy.

Greg "Groot" Rousseau - Terrorized Russell Wilson.  If not for the game, would have been arrested for assault.  Need to see this from Groot more often.

Ray Davis, Frank Gore Jr. - Best RBs for the Bills, by a wide margin.  Cook and Abbey we're OK, but Davis and Gore just popped off the screen.  Would like to see Gore get some work with the 1's.  All of a sudden, very crowded at RB.

Bad

Gable Steveson - Did not see him play at all, even on the Squeelers final drive.  Freakin' Eli Ankou was in, but don't we know all about Ankou already?  I was hoping to see Steveson get some game reps, so we could see if there's anything there.  Either McD has already written him off, or he's penciled in on the PS.  Hope it's the latter.

Tyrell "Earnie" Shavers - Running OB on your own as an ST gunner is a bad look.  At least make it look like you were pushed out.

Ugly

Inability of the Bills offense once again to score a TD. FGs ain't gonna cut it.  As soon as Bass misses one, the Bass haterz will rise up and smite him by demanding he be replaced.  Take some pressure off our kicker offense.  C'mon man.....

4 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Thad Brown just roasted Coleman for turtling up on that pass.  He said if he were established as a receiver in the league, he could understand it...why risk injury in a preseason game.  But since Coleman isn't an established receiver, he needs to lay out to make the catch. Seriously?  So he lays out, makes the catch and gets seriously injured.  What sense does that make?

It's about the 1000th time this exact same scenario plays in my head with respect to Thud Brown:

me: "Thud, that is the stupidest thing you have ever written. There's no way you'll ever top that one."

Thud: "Hold my beer..."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

This is the bigs. That was a catchable football.  He heard footsteps. Disturbing.

Yeah, he got hit anyways, although not as hard as if he stretched for the ball.  May have dropped it with the hit anyways, but let’s show some toughness.  Catch the ball, take the hit, hold onto the ball, pop up and look at the DB and say “Nice try”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

I thought run blocking was 200% better than the CHI game. Yes, RB's ran hard and made some very good cuts, but when you run for 167 yards at 4.9 per clip, the oline blocked well in the running game

200%?

2 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

It rained a bit. The field was wet. That’s what I gathered…

Makes sense...no need to risk the franchise for reps he likely doesn't really need that much.