This Andrewwson kid is good!!

I know, as fans on the board, tend to overhype preseason wonders. We see an undiscovered underdog and we jump to support them, even if the talent doesn't match up. But, in this case, I really don't see the harm in rostering the guy.

Milano will start the season on PUP or IR. Last year, the team rostered 6 LBs (Milano, Bernard, Dorian Williams, Dodson, Spector Manaketitch)

Dodson and Manny are gone. Right now our depth chart is Bernard, Williams, Spector, Nicolas Morrow (who Eagles fans are cheering the departure of) and then...
Edefuan Ulofoshio (5th round rookie, likely practice squad fit)? Shayne Simon? Deion Jones?

You're telling me that even if one spot is held for a guaranteed special teams players that Andreessen can't beat one of those guys for spot #6?

UPDATE: And he's a special teams player! When was the last time we saw Manakevitch come off the bench and tackle like that?

At this point I'll be shocked if he's not on the roster 

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Warning: paid subscriber exclusive story for which my Seamonkey opened w/o issue.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/08/how-bills-joe-andreessen-a-may-tryout-player-flipped-script-to-enter-roster-battle.html

Three months later, he was responsible for calling and leading the Bills defense against former Super Bowl-winning quarterback Russell Wilson. Twelve tackles later - with an entire fan base buzzing about Andreessen - the 24-year-old has firmly placed himself in contention to make the team for real when general manager Brandon Beane selects the final 53 players.

“A lot of people aren’t really expecting me to make the team,” he said. “You know, I’m a rookie tryout guy, so it was just something to take full advantage of, and hopefully I showed it to people out there today.”

“He’s that guy,” Rousseau said. “You couldn’t sense any fear with Joe. He stepped up to the plate, called it with the ones, and it was great seeing him flying around here and making open-field tackles. He was doing his thing.”

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

UPDATE: And he's a special teams player! When was the last time we saw Manakevitch come off the bench and tackle like that?

At this point I'll be shocked if he's not on the roster 

Matakevich made multiple tackles on defense when he was given opportunity to play on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

FWIW...Haven't searched this thread, but also need to bear in mind that a player is no longer eligible for the practice squad if he is on the 53-man roster for more than 6 games in a season. So if the Bills keep him as a backup and make him active for game days, by the time Milano comes back he may no longer be able to be stashed on the PS. At least I think that's the case...

11 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

good,  let him be the run tackler and let Bernard run around in coverage.   not sure Dorian is ready yet.

It's crap like this ^

It's Bernard and Jones as the starters.

Andreeson looked good last night BUT IT"S PRESEASON!!! I bet he makes the team... but in no way will he start over Jones and Bernard. Nice to have solid depth though, no doubt. Go BILLS!

• Dislike 1

Every once in a while you come across a player that lacks the physical blessings that other players have at their positions.

They make up for it with football smarts, desire and playing all out on every snap(heart), and they just KNOW how to play football.  Steve Tasker is another name that comes to mind

Edited by Rich Stadium Original

7 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Didn't we think he sucked after game 1?

I didn’t watch game one but maybe more nerves or learning the system 

I thought he looked like he could hang out there should be a depth player for now but who knows 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

I didn’t watch game one but maybe more nerves or learning the system 

I thought he looked like he could hang out there should be a depth player for now but who knows 

Oh ok I thought we buried him after one preseason game. 

From draft report

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2024/4/24/24138585/2024-nfl-draft-profile-joe-andreessen-ilb-buffalo-bulls-ub-mac-inside-linebacker#:~:text=Overall%2C Andreessen is an excellent,in his lone FBS season.

If Andreessen makes a roster for the 2024 NFL season, it is likely he is tasked with kickoff and punt coverage duties. That being said, one other plus the Depew, NY native offers is vast special teams experience, and the quality of effort he provides in that facet of the game could come in handy for a first-year linebacker — especially a late-round pick or undrafted free agent.

Maybe @PromoTheRobot can comment on what he saw at UB?

It is interesting he got Tyler Matakevich's number.

26 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Every once in a while you come across a player that lacks the physical blessings that other players have at their positions.

They make up for it with football smarts, desire and playing all out on every snap(heart), and they just KNOW how to play football.  Steve Tasker is another name that comes to mind

Why do you think he lacks in physical blessings? He's a bit short, but he's no lightweight, and his RAS score is very good (like a 9.25 or something.) As someone pointed out, his 40 time is faster than Milano's. 

This kid showed more instincts in his first preseason start than Edmunds did his career with us. 

Some players just have it and you can easily see it. He’ll make the roster, this is a McBeane type of player. He’s not ready to start, he’s not going to the pro bowl, he’s not replacing Milano. He’s a raw, young guy who probably has a higher ceiling than many thought and is the type you keep, develop, and maybe strike gold.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If the Bills keep 5 LBers, I have a hard time keeping Morrow or Spector over Buffalo Joe.

Bernard

Williams

Jones

Eddy U

Buffalo Joe

Spector to the practice squad

Agree except Eddy U to the practice squad instead of Spector, who's a reliable player. 

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Spector is not reliable at all, I’d rather protect our 5th round pick from being poached than a 7th rounder who gets hurt every week. 

Yeah, Spector also looks the part when he’s on the field, to the point I was curious when he didn’t get more time with the 1s at MLB last year (Beane said he wasn’t ready), but of course his problem is staying on the field. Injury bug seems to have it in for some players and he may be one of them.