We have a backup QB problem

Einstein

24 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

You all are right. Mitch was terrible. 

But I think the Nooch can get the job done.

He was on a very limited playbook last night. But with more time I think he can be decent

I’d like to see more from Dinucci.  He actually looked quick and decisive in the pocket on the couple throws they let him make.  Trubisky is done.  His indecisiveness will continue to get him hurt.  Move on.  

• Like (+1) 1

what sucks about starting and playing the whole game with Mitch and DiNucci.  Our wide receivers get no work whatsoever because these quarterbacks stink and can’t get the ball to them or too scared to throw down field to anyone other than a tight end or running back.

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

what sucks about starting and playing the whole game with Mitch and DiNucci.  Our wide receivers get no work whatsoever because these quarterbacks stink and can’t get the ball to them or too scared to throw down field to anyone other than a tight end or running back.

I agree somewhat, except they got a lot of reps with Josh in the joint practices this week.  I totally agree that Trubisky was awful.  This was his chance to shine with the first team players and crapped the bed.  DiNucci is just learning the offense. He’ll hopefully be better next week.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2

I still refer to how the Falcons dealt with their Quarterback situation. They got an excellent veteran in Cousins and drafted an above average QB in Pennix. I don't view this as a wasted pick (omg! that pick could have gotten another offensive weapon, or difference maker on defense!). In MHO, is was a wise strategy by Atlanta.

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Enough w the backup QB whining ffs it's not important 

Here's a thought - every time the Chiefs, Ravens, or Bengals backup QB takes the field their offense still looks at least competent. Every time our backup QB takes the field our offense is unwatchable. I don't really believe that Jake Browning for example is leagues better than Trubisky so there might be something else going on there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Everyone thought the 49ers season was done when Jimmy G got hurt. In comes Purdy and because the 49ers GM did their job well, the 49ers still went to an NFC title game with a factual backup QB that year.

My hot take is that if Purdy played in place of Trubisky last night the passing offense wouldn't have looked much better. No Kincaid and no Samuel. We're really expecting a backup QB to look good throwing to Mack Hollins and Tyrell Shavers? The Bills have intentionally chosen to build a room of offensive personnel that only an elite QB can make chicken salad out of. Anyone expecting to find a magical solution at backup QB is going to be disappointed in anyone that we bring in IMO. Kyle Allen, Case Keenum, Mitch Trubisky. Different names, same result.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

My hot take is that if Purdy played in place of Trubisky last night the passing offense wouldn't have looked much better. No Kincaid and no Samuel. We're really expecting a backup QB to look good throwing to Mack Hollins and Tyrell Shavers? The Bills have intentionally chosen to build a room of offensive personnel that only an elite QB can make chicken salad out of. Anyone expecting to find a magical solution at backup QB is going to be disappointed in anyone that we bring in IMO. Kyle Allen, Case Keenum, Mitch Trubisky. Different names, same result.

Why would you intentionally limit your potential that way? It's almost as dim as taking Bryce Young over C.J. Stroud.

I love how people watch a couple of preseason games and make these dramatic pronouncements about how good or bad a particular player is.  They have a 50/50 chance of being correct, obviously.  With some of these players, we have their track record as a more detailed frame of reference.  Trubisky is a guy that we have seen a lot.  Most of it has been terrible and a small amount of it has been marginally okay.  Some people will say that the Bills don't game plan for the preseason and that makes a difference.  I see a guy that can't move quickly through his progressions and does not throw with anticipation (doesn't throw his receivers open).  He generally has bad ball placement and throws his receivers into some big hits.  It seems the Bills are comfortable with him because of his mobility and knowledge of the offence.  I don't think those attributes make him viable.  I've seen enough.

There are going to be some teams trying to move some guys to their practice squads that the Bills should try to pick up.  Even though they are not widely recognized names, it is probably worth the risk to get them on the team and see what they have.  Can the result really be worse than what we have already seen?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My hot take is that if Purdy played in place of Trubisky last night the passing offense wouldn't have looked much better.

Disagree. That’s saying there weren’t throws there to be made. There are, every down. Trubisky was late getting the ball out or missed the player entirely. Plays in the passing game are almost always there to be made, but who’s throwing the ball is the difference and Purdy is a definite step up from Mitchell Trubisky. 

As far as the playoff argument and missing the chance to participate by losing a couple games… of course a team could still be a SB contender. It only takes getting hot at the right time. There are plenty SB winning teams in NFL history that wouldn’t have had the opportunity if they simply lost one or two more games in the regular season. Could we use a better backup? Absolutely. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Here's a thought - every time the Chiefs, Ravens, or Bengals backup QB takes the field their offense still looks at least competent. Every time our backup QB takes the field our offense is unwatchable. I don't really believe that Jake Browning for example is leagues better than Trubisky so there might be something else going on there.

Has a Bills backup QB ever taken the field during the regular season for non-garbage time? Pre-season offenses are pretty vanilla and not always reflective of what a QB can do.

14 minutes ago, Brand J said:

That’s saying there weren’t throws there to be made. There are, every down.

I just don't agree with that. There are plays where no pass catchers get open in the rhythm of the play. A lack of offensive talent means those plays are going to happen more often. We'll see what the all-22 shows. It's hard to tell on broadcast footage but in the limited camera views we got of the field I wasn't seeing a lot of separation or leverage for Trubisky to fit the ball.

I don't want to oversell my point either though. Trubisky was really bad. He missed a hot read to a wide open Cook on one play that ended in a sack, and on the INT it doesn't matter if no one is open that is an inexcusable mistake for any QB in any circumstance.

Still I struggle to think of any backup QB out there that could move the ball through the air with any level of consistency in this offense.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just don't agree with that. There are plays where no pass catchers get open in the rhythm of the play. A lack of offensive talent means those plays are going to happen more often. We'll see what the all-22 shows. It's hard to tell on broadcast footage but in the limited camera views we got of the field I wasn't seeing a lot of separation or leverage for Trubisky to fit the ball.

I don't want to oversell my point either though. Trubisky was really bad. He missed a hot read to a wide open Cook on one play that ended in a sack, and on the INT it doesn't matter if no one is open that is an inexcusable mistake for any QB in any circumstance.

Still I struggle to think of any backup QB out there that could move the ball through the air with any level of consistency in this offense.

Coleman was wide open on the interception.  Had potential for a huge play.

watched some of seattle this morning and Sam Howell looks like an excellent backup.  

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I still refer to how the Falcons dealt with their Quarterback situation. They got an excellent veteran in Cousins and drafted an above average QB in Pennix. I don't view this as a wasted pick (omg! that pick could have gotten another offensive weapon, or difference maker on defense!). In MHO, is was a wise strategy by Atlanta.

If the QB you drafted turns out to be good, it’s never a bad pick.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The original post I responded to seemed to absolve Trubisky of blame (as well as the other backup QBs that have been on the Bills) and pointed the finger squarely at the offensive talent. You suggested that only Josh Allen (or some other elite QB) could capably run this offense because the personnel around him was that bad. Even brought up a QB who was an MVP candidate on another team and said the results would’ve been the same if he had played in front of Trubisky.

Remember the pass Trubisky hit to Davidson? We saw it happen because the ball found him. There are winning routes on other play calls as well, but we never see those wins if the ball doesn’t find them. You’re right in that we have to wait for the All-22. The passing offense was bad because Trubisky was bad, not because Mack Hollins, Tyrell Shavers, Zach Davidson, Quinton Morris, etc., etc., etc., were on the field. The rest of your post was reasonable - not a ton of other backup QBs in the league would’ve looked markedly better than Trubisky, but that’s because they lack starting ability.

I didn't see the game and I haven't read all the pros and cons, but I have trouble believing that the Bills have a backup QB problem.  

First, everyone agrees that if Josh goes down for an extended period, no backup QB is going to save them.   The only circumstance where a backup QB is likely to be important is a three-or-four-game stretch.  Yes, Nick Foles had a Super Bowl run, and that can happen to pretty much any veteran backup when everything falls just right.  

For the three or four game stretch, you need someone who understands pro football at the QB level (i.e., a veteran with some starting experience) and someone who can mimic, to some extent, your starter.   In Josh's case, have a big arm and has some mobility.   That's not Foles, that's not Flacco.  Trubisky is ideal in that regard.   Yes, I'd replace him with Tannehill if Tannehill were option, but I doubt he is.  

But your #2 has to be more than that.  He has to be a guy who adds to the team by his presence in the QB room, a guy who has a good relationship with the starter and can talk to the starter about what he's seeing.  I think Trubisky is good in those roles, and I think that for one reason:   The Bills wouldn't have brought him back if he hadn't been good at it in his first stint in Buffalo.  Then, everyone, including the Bills, knew he was a short-termer, because he wanted and needed another shot at starting.  But while he was in Buffalo, Beane, McDermott, and Allen all got to see him in the number two role and to understand what he adds to the team.  If McDermott or Allen didn't like what they saw from him in that season, they never would have brought him back.  It's significant that he replaced Kyle Allen.  Maybe Josh and Kyle's relationship changed (possibly because of the personnel change Josh made at girlfriend), but whatever the reason, it mush be the case that Josh feels good being around Trubisky.  Maybe Kyle Allen was just playing out a three or four year ride in the NFL that he always knew would end, and Mitch can see and accept a ten-year career or more as a journeyman, and maybe Josh can see that that's what he needs.  

Whatever is going on behind the scenes, I think it's likely the Bills are happy with Trubisky as the #2.  They may not be happy with what they saw last night, and we all can be sure Trubisky wasn't happy, either.  Everyone will get to work on that.  But he's a seven-year veteran with 57 starts and a passer rating of 85, which is a pretty good combination to bring off the bench when Josh dislocates his pinky.  

2 minutes ago, Brand J said:

The original post I responded to seemed to absolve Trubisky of blame

I don't want to absolve him of blame, his performance speaks for itself, but it is consecutive years of backup QBs performing poorly for us in the preseason. Other teams' backup QBs are able to pass the ball in preseason. Case Keenum and Kyle Allen have gone to new teams and looked better in their preseason opportunities than they looked here. So my larger point is that if we are expecting something like Purdy stepping onto the field and leading a stacked offense with an elite offensive coach to a top 3 offense, that is not close to realistic. It will be an impressive accomplishment if we have even a top 10 offense even with Allen missing zero games.