We have a backup QB problem

Einstein

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Brock Purdy being anything at all is pure dumb luck. 

There’s no sense in trying to replicate such a scenario. It’s just as unlikely as a bum journeyman vet like Foles having an incredible 7 game stretch and winning a Super Bowl. 

You’re taking one statement (about Purdy) and turning that into the entire argument.

one win (or loss) could decide whether or not we make the playoffs.  A backup QB may have to play 1-5 games and could help us stay afloat.  Every game is likely to matter this season.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re taking one statement (about Purdy) and turning that into the entire argument.

one win (or loss) could decide whether or not we make the playoffs.  A backup QB may have to play 1-5 games and could help us stay afloat.  Every game is likely to matter this season.  

And this season I don’t think we are really title contenders, so if we miss the playoffs by a game or two because Josh gets hurt, oh well.

There’s 2 facets to this argument:

#1 There’s only a few specific scenarios where having a good backup QB in the wings is helpful. I.E. this very specific, Josh misses 2 games but we are on the cusp of missing the playoffs scenario.

#2 the ROI on mid round or later picks on QB’s is atrocious. Spending a third or a 4th on a guy who ideally will never see the field, when you could alternatively spend that kind of investment on ANY OTHER POSITION to actually help Josh win a SB is ludicrous. It’s completely backwards.

When Josh is on his last legs, sure, bring in some young talent with eyes on the future. When Josh is in his prime? I’d much rather see them draft a WR in the fourth over a backup freaking QB. We are fielding an offensive roster of backups in 2024 already, and we want to add more backups to the mix???

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Brock Purdy being anything at all is pure dumb luck. 

There’s no sense in trying to replicate such a scenario. It’s just as unlikely as a bum journeyman vet like Foles having an incredible 7 game stretch and winning a Super Bowl. 

And you miss the biggest point of his logical argument. If Allen goes down for a few games and we lose those games, knocking us out of the playoffs because we have ***** at backup QB, Beane should be held accountable. What we are seeing is pure negligence on his part and isn’t taking factors into account? There are a host of low seeded teams that have won a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

And you miss the biggest point of his logical argument. If Allen goes down for a few games and we lose those games, knocking us out of the playoffs because we have ***** at backup QB, Beane should be held accountable. What we are seeing is pure negligence on his part and isn’t taking factors into account? There are a host of low seeded teams that have won a Super Bowl. 

There are way more jobs for QBs than there are good QB’s. 

How hard do you try to invest in a backup QB? A QB that you won’t even know is worth a damn til they step on the field, and that you are hoping they never do?

”Pure negligence” lol. 

Very funny to me that Bills fans watched a 17 year playoff drought without a single quality QB on the roster, now they are demanding we need two even though half the teams in the league have 0.

19 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I read the Bills have been in discussions with Tannehill, which I think is good news because I believe we always win when he is on the field. 

Where did you read that?

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

There are way more jobs for QBs than there are good QB’s. 

How hard do you try to invest in a backup QB? A QB that you won’t even know is worth a damn til they step on the field, and that you are hoping they never do?

”Pure negligence” lol. 

Very funny to me that Bills fans watched a 17 year playoff drought without a single quality QB on the roster, now they are demanding we need two even though half the teams in the league have 0.

That’s pure BS. 

• Like (+1) 1

Trubisky always stunk but to make matters worse he is wearing cursed Bills #11:

Scott Norwood, Rob Johnson, TJ Graham, Deonte Harty, Roscoe Parrish, Percy Harvin, Zay Jones, Drew Bledsoe etc...

Bringing Trubisky back after his pathetic performance for the Steelers last year was one of the most bizarre decisions this regime has made. Why bother? Whatever skills he had are gone and his weaknesses of indecision and immobility have become ever present. Is he a big team guy? a mentor? a jokester in the locker room? A good Christian man? What do Beane and McD see in him? He literally should be cut after how bad he has been.

As for the other backups, they dont look like they can play in this league (at least not right now). They dont have the physical or mental abilities to even be a backup. I think signing Tannehill is a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think they brought Trubiski back because Josh relates well with him in the QB room.  But if his knee is a thing I expect he’ll IR and they’ll make a call to Tannehill.

Better a backup QB problem than a starting QB problem.

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

If Allen misses two games, the season shouldn’t be over, even if we lost both games.

so what are we talking about? A very specific scenario where we are bad enough to be in danger of missing the playoffs if we lose an extra game or two, but where we are also good enough to win a Super Bowl?

it makes zero sense. Backup QBs don’t matter

losing 2 games can be the difference between making the playoffs or not, and definitely makes a difference in seeding.  

Granted Mitch ain’t good, but most teams have a backup quarterback problem, they are all backup’s because they suck as starters. Is what it is,

Just now, clayboy54 said:

Dead.

Did they donate his spleen…,

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

And you miss the biggest point of his logical argument. If Allen goes down for a few games and we lose those games, knocking us out of the playoffs because we have ***** at backup QB

He is not missing the point - he is ignoring it.

He knows that NFL history is littered with Super Bowl attending teams that would have missed the playoffs had they lost 1 or 2 more games. Having a backup QB that will give you a fighting chance in the scenario of a starter missing a few games is crucial.

However, because it does not fit his preconceived notion and because humans have a terrible time admitting that they are wrong, he is digging his heels in.

• Agree 1