We have a backup QB problem

Einstein

Just finished watching the pre-season game.

1. The defense looked much much better.  

2. All the o-lines created running lanes

3. Mitch Trubisky is just awful.  It looked like he can't read defenses, has no idea how to get the ball out quickly and has happy feet in the pocket.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Trubisky's teams win 53% of his starts

Reich's teams won 25% of his starts

Wait you are honestly comparing the Bears, who had the number 1 defense with Mitch, to the expansion Panthers reich played with? Holy crap, that is absolutely insane.  Mitch is the exact reason why qb records are absolutely worthless. 

he seems like a good dude. He has is living off one good year in college. He looks worse the more he plays. Veteran scrub qb destroy backup defenses in the preseason. We may have the worst backup qb in the nfl. 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wait you are honestly comparing the Bears, who had the number 1 defense with Mitch, to the expansion Panthers reich played with? Holy crap, that is absolutely insane.  Mitch is the exact reason why qb records are absolutely worthless. 

he seems like a good dude. He has is living off one good year in college. He looks worse the more he plays. Veteran scrub qb destroy backup defenses in the preseason. We may have the worst backup qb in the nfl. 

Yeah it's not like the Bills teams he played on had multiple HoFers or anything

Enough w the backup QB whining ffs it's not important 

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

In his defense, there's no game plan for pre season games.  I think if Josh goes down for a short period of time, we'll see a better version of Mitch.

The better version of Mitch disappeared a long time ago.  Just another "buddy" overpaid retread who God help us has to win a couple games to keep us in a playoff hunt. 

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think if we don’t make the playoffs by two games, we probably aren’t a real Super Bowl contender.

I mean last year we were the #2 seed and like 1.5 games from being out of the playoffs entirely. In fact, going into the final week, the Bills could have either finished the 2 seed, which they did, or missed the playoffs all together.

And do you really think the Bills were not a real Super Bowl contender last year just because they made the playoffs by 1.5 games? They played a back and forth game with the Super Bowl champ and lost by 3 points. They arguably played the most competitive game of any of the other three teams the Chiefs faced in the playoffs last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

We were having this same conversation with Kyle Allen last year and they kept him.  Hell, if I remember correctly Case Keenum didn't look good in the preseason and we kept him.  Unless the knee injury is serious I don't see them trying to upgrade.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Stop signing these retread veteran QBs. Invest a mid round draft spot for a above average QB and groom him behind Allen. I don't agree with Beane/McDermott's philosophy in this regard.

Who is that mid round QB who is above average... and is above average if forced to play as a rookie w no prior game experience?

I do think this year, in contrast the last few, I am less concerned. I am not sure I see this as a true "window" year. It is a bit of a re-set point. The Bills have no more than an outside shot of a title. 

If Josh Allen goes down this year (let's all hope he doesn't) I am up for trying to get a top 10 draft pick and let Beane try and find a stud difference maker at receiver or pass rusher or tackle. This team needs more studs. 

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Didn't they clinch a playoff birth before the Miami game? I think the Jags loss on Saturday the day before clinched a playoff spot. 

It did (although think was earlier the same day rather than the day before).  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I actually like the idea of Tannehill.  We have a little wiggle room with maneuvering some $ to get him and once Trubisky heals to release him. As many know you cannot cut an injured player.  You can negotiate an injury settlement, but Trubisky has to be willing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think if we don’t make the playoffs by two games, we probably aren’t a real Super Bowl contender.

That’s short sighted-  if we don’t make the playoffs by a game or by a half game, the backup QB could’ve been the difference.  

Another example:  if we don’t make the playoffs by 1-2-3 games…..and 17 misses 5 games and we lose all 5.  Doesn’t mean we aren’t sb contenders. 

there are so many instances in which a backup can make a difference.

3rd string Mr irrelevant-  2 starters go down-  leads the team to the nfccg, before he gets hurt and his terrible backup gets hurt and we have a RB playing QB.  

the backup QB MAY not matter at all- but it definitely may matter and could decide seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

If Josh gets hurt it’s best to lose as many as possible for a stud draft pick.

whatever 

True. Why have to trade up to draft a cornerback when one is available with a very early pick? I mean really!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I mean last year we were the #2 seed and like 1.5 games from being out of the playoffs entirely. In fact, going into the final week, the Bills could have either finished the 2 seed, which they did, or missed the playoffs all together.

And do you really think the Bills were not a real Super Bowl contender last year just because they made the playoffs by 1.5 games? They played a back and forth game with the Super Bowl champ and lost by 3 points. They arguably played the most competitive game of any of the other three teams the Chiefs faced in the playoffs last year. 

Did we win the Super Bowl? Did we make the conference championship?

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

So sick of hearing how we are done if Josh misses games.  It’s as if you’ve never watched the NFL. 

Or we just have high expectations that aren't exactly impossible to get? Everyone thought the 49ers season was done when Jimmy G got hurt. In comes Purdy and because the 49ers GM did their job well, the 49ers still went to an NFC title game with a factual backup QB that year. Eagles once lost Wentz for part of a season and because Foles was a competent backup, still went to the playoffs and won games with him. 

Bills have one of the worst backup QBs in the league. We should be giving Tannenhil a look at this point. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

That’s short sighted-  if we don’t make the playoffs by a game or by a half game, the backup QB could’ve been the difference.  

Another example:  if we don’t make the playoffs by 1-2-3 games…..and 17 misses 5 games and we lose all 5.  Doesn’t mean we aren’t sb contenders. 

there are so many instances in which a backup can make a difference.

3rd string Mr irrelevant-  2 starters go down-  leads the team to the nfccg, before he gets hurt and his terrible backup gets hurt and we have a RB playing QB.  

the backup QB MAY not matter at all- but it definitely may matter and could decide seasons.

Brock Purdy being anything at all is pure dumb luck. 

There’s no sense in trying to replicate such a scenario. It’s just as unlikely as a bum journeyman vet like Foles having an incredible 7 game stretch and winning a Super Bowl. 

The Bills at least need a semi competent qb who can hold the fort down and protect the ball if Josh has to miss a few games. They have been very lucky that Josh is so durable. A Tyrod Taylor type who can go .500 playing a conservative game that lets your defense give you a chance. None of the back up qb’s the Bills have had behind Allen give them any chance to win a game and Trubisky looks awful. There has to be someone available that is better.

• Like (+1) 1