We have a backup QB problem

Einstein

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

No. You simply ignored half of what I said.

Bucs won the Super Bowl a couple years ago. They would have missed the playoffs with 2 more losses.

Giants would have 2 less Lombardi Trophies if they had loss 2 more games that season.

The examples could go on and on. 2 games is a lot. And yes you can be good enough to win a SB but not great enough to be able to spare 2 games.

NFL history is LITTERED with examples. I could list another 15 examples.

You edited your post after I responded it lmao. We can all see

Edited by FireChans

I don't really care who the backup is. Not that I don't think its important. Im just one of those people that if Josh goes down the season is over. 

No one you bring in will be able to fill Joshes shoes or come close.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Bucs won the Super Bowl a couple years ago. They would have missed the playoffs with 2 more losses.

Giants would have 2 less Lombardi Trophies if they had loss 2 more games that season.

The examples could go on and on. 2 games is a lot. And yes you can be good enough to win a SB but not great enough to be able to spare 2 games.

The point is- if you are counting on your backup winning games you are SOL anywat

backups who can win games are starters

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

You edited your post after I responded it lmao. We can all see

And you continue to ignore the other half of what I said (which was added within seconds of me posting the original).

You also have no idea if the Chiefs would have still won the Super Bowl. They would have went from a 1st round Bye with the Divisional and AFCCG at home… to no bye week and one of those games on the road. 

Regardless - There are so many examples of Super Bowl teams that would have not made the playoffs with 2 more losses that your point is completely moot. 

The Line is blocking terribly and they aren't opening up the playbook at all. I'm not saying he's great. But the Backups always look like hot garbage in the Pre-Season league wide.

Most everyone in the league has a "Backup QB Problem". Hell, a fair amount have a "Starting QB Problem". 

As I've said a number of times, good QB's don't make it to Free Agency. And the halfway decent backup QB's are going to go to teams that:

a.) Are Drafting a QB that may sit a little while where they can be a bridge.

b.) Have nothing at QB and can't Draft one and they'll get a shot in a competition.

c.) Have someone they've Drafted recently that hasn't really impressed yet.

d.) Have a vet who really hasn't looked good lately (like a Daniel Jones)

e.) Have a QB who is injured (like Watson) or coming off injury.

f.) Have a QB that is often injured.

None of these apply. So we'll never be a landing spot for QB's on the market. It just is what it is.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

15 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The Line is blocking terribly and they aren't opening up the playbook at all. I'm not saying he's great. But the Backups always look like hot garbage in the Pre-Season league wide.

Most everyone in the league has a "Backup QB Problem". Hell, a fair amount have a "Starting QB Problem". 

As I've said a number of times, good QB's don't make it to Free Agency. And the halfway decent backup QB's are going to go to teams that:

a.) Are Drafting a QB that may sit a little while where they can be a bridge.

b.) Have nothing at QB and can't Draft one and they'll get a shot in a competition.

c.) Have someone they've Drafted recently that hasn't really impressed yet.

d.) Have a vet who really hasn't looked good lately (like a Daniel Jones)

e.) Have a QB who is injured (like Watson) or coming off injury.

f.) Have a QB that is often injured.

None of these apply. So we'll never be a landing spot for QB's on the market. It just is what it is.

Bills fans lived through an era where we couldn’t find a starting QB to play .500 ball. Now we are complaining we don’t have two of them lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I don't really care who the backup is. Not that I don't think its important. Im just one of those people that if Josh goes down the season is over. 

No one you bring in will be able to fill Joshes shoes or come close.

If Nick Foles can win the MVP than anything is possible 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think the only problem is the assumption that backup QBs are supposed to be good.

I could name 5-10 STARTING QBs who are terrible. The best backup in the league is worse than the worst starter.

Trubisky can throw somewhat accurately and has some physical tools. That’s more than what you get with most backup QBs.

Recall back was in 1991 or 92, Kelly got hurt, out for 3 weeks, maybe people thought the Bills would lose all 3, Reich came in and won all 3.  In those same years recall the Bills going 0-5 in pre-season and then went to SB.

If the games matter and Allen's hurt and not playing, then lets see where things are.  As other posts state, you can't base anything on pre-season.   Mitch has probably played as well as Wilson, so if a guy like that is NG, the Bills aren't getting a better backup.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm getting tired of the "if Josh goes down we're toast" mentality. Are we just going to give up because our backup sucks? I want competitive players at all positions first string or backup! Stop signing these retread veteran QBs. Invest a mid round draft spot for a above average QB and groom him behind Allen. I don't agree with Beane/McDermott's philosophy in this regard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We lost Super Bowl 25 to sims backup.   It could happen.  Why settle for this terrible back up where you could lose a game if Allen just misses a few series , which has happened.  Iwoulnt trust Mitch for even a couple if series.   Ask bill polian how nit having a backup for manning worked out for him. He was fired.  Backups do matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm getting tired of the "if Josh goes down we're toast" mentality. Are we just going to give up because our backup sucks? I want competitive players at all positions first string or backup! Stop signing these retread veteran QBs. Invest a mid round draft spot for a above average QB and groom him behind Allen. I don't agree with Beane/McDermott's philosophy in this regard.

By the way, I like what the Falcons did when drafting Pennix (sp?), while also signing Cousins. That's what I'm talking about!

• Disagree 1