We have a backup QB problem

Einstein

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is an every year thing. The NFL doesn't have 32 capable QBs, let alone enough for us to have two. the only time that happens is when you have a vet and a rookie. Trubisky is within margin of error of most of the backups int he league. He may be "terrible", but so is everyone else. Would having Sam Howell, Easton Stick, Desmond Ridder, Josh Johnson, Jarret Stidham be meaningfully better?

If our team thought it was a priority to get someone better than Mitch, they should have drafted one.

This is what's out there. Take your pick.

image.png

Did you watch Sam Howell play all last season?  Is he great, no.  Does he have ability and moxie to play well for a short period?  Certainly.  He plays like Fitzie used to.  Can make a lot of plays and then can make some mistakes.  Trubisky has no upside anymore.  It’s weak that he’s on our team.  Hopefully not for long.  

And I would take Jarrett Stidham over Trubisky also.  And certainly Ryan Tannehill.  Bills are short sighted not drafting a guy w some upside like a Joe Milton.  Instead we keep drafting OT’s in the later rounds who aren’t making any NFL team’s roster in the late rounds. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

OK. 2022 season- SF named starter Trey Lance knocked out for the season and Brock Purdy led them to the NFC Championship game.

Carson Wentz got injured during the playoffs and Nick Foles led them to a Super Bowl win.  

You are welcome to think that either of those dudes could take the 2024 Bills to the conference championship or win the SB. 

I think you’d be alone though. 

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

You are welcome to think that either of those dudes could take the 2024 Bills to the conference championship or win the SB. 

I think you’d be alone though. 

I believe Purdy was the starting QB for the Niners in the Super Bowl.

12 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I believe Purdy was the starting QB for the Niners in the Super Bowl.

The Niners have Kyle Shanahan, Deebo Samuel, Trent Williams, Brandon Aiyuk, Nick Bosa, George Kittle, Fred Warner, Hufunga, Dre Greenlaw.

We don’t. 

I agree that if the Bills had 2 great WR’s, an elite offensive coach, a HoF LT, a top 4 EDGE, two of the best linebackers in the NFL, a top 3 TE, and a really good safety, maybe a backup QB could do some damage on this roster.

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Recent opinion ranking of NFL backup QBs:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-backup-qb-rankings/

As a teaser... 

1) Justin Fields

2) Jimmy Garroppolo

3) Jameis Winston

4) Jake Browning

5) Joe Flacco

6) Gardner Minshew

7) Andy Dalton

8 Tyrod Taylor

9) Joshua Dobbs

Minshew was just named the starter in LV so remove him from the list. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody is preparing for the non season ending injury scenario.  The one where Josh is out 2-4 weeks. The one where we need a competent backup to maybe win you a couple games and keep you in the playoff hunt. This is what good organizations do. Not waste $ on embarrassing retreads like Barkley, Keenun, K. Allen or the worst one, Trubisky. Mark my words someday it will bite this team in the ass. And Josh's next injury will Not be season ending.

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Recent opinion ranking of NFL backup QBs:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-backup-qb-rankings/

As a teaser... 

1) Justin Fields

2) Jimmy Garroppolo

3) Jameis Winston

4) Jake Browning

5) Joe Flacco

6) Gardner Minshew

7) Andy Dalton

8 Tyrod Taylor

9) Joshua Dobbs

Boy, they dislike Mitch almost as much as the we do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As well they should.  I'd even take Zach Wilson over MT. 

Those are bold words, but a toss up.  MILF Hunter was loathed as a teammate, but has better tools, maybe just no brain to go with them. 

I agree that Trubisky was brutal against the Steelers.  But let's start here.  Does anyone have a better, reasonable idea right now?  I'll hear Heinecke.  I guess I'll listen to Josh Dobbs.  But where are we otherwise? 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I agree that Trubisky was brutal against the Steelers.  But let's start here.  Does anyone have a better, reasonable idea right now?  I'll hear Heinecke.  I guess I'll listen to Josh Dobbs.  But where are we otherwise? 

Heinicke would be my call. 

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As well they should.  I'd even take Zach Wilson over MT. 

No. Wilson has the athletic ability to play QB at the NFL level. But mentally is lost. He is lost out there trying to read what looks the opposing defenses are giving him. He makes poor decisions with the ball which lead to turnovers or taking unnecessary sacks. You might be able to get away with that at the high school or college level. In the NFL a QB is dead meat if doesn't understand the mental part of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

No. Wilson has the athletic ability to play QB at the NFL level. But mentally is lost. He is lost out there trying to read what looks the opposing defenses are giving him. He makes poor decisions with the ball which lead to turnovers or taking unnecessary sacks. You might be able to get away with that at the high school or college level. In the NFL a QB is dead meat if doesn't understand the mental part of the game. 

Kinda sounds like what we just saw from MT.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Kinda sounds like what we just saw from MT.

Could be worse. We could be the Giants who have a starting QB problem. Did you see the awful INT Jones threw for a pick 6. He should know better at this point.

NFL on X: "Jalen Pitre with the pick-6 ‼️ 📱: Stream #NYGvsHOU on #NFLPlus https://t.co/oYafzSWyjG" / X

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Me too.  Him or Tanny....3rd would be Hoyer.

Tanny isn't coming back to be a backup. And if he is it will be someone who can PAY him. The Bills can't. I think Hoyer is shot at this stage.