We have a backup QB problem

Einstein

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Tanny isn't coming back to be a backup. And if he is it will be someone who can PAY him. The Bills can't. I think Hoyer is shot at this stage. 

I don't see how Tanny can hold out for a starting job after the year he had last year.  I think for him to start, it would need to be for an injured starting QB that's going to be down for awhile....like a Flacco situation.  

I was kinda viewing it as he's a seasoned vet and didn't want to go through camp or preseason.  Wait to see what his back up options are after that.  But I could very well be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't see how Tanny can hold out for a starting job after the year he had last year.  I think for him to start, it would need to be for an injured starting QB that's going to be down for awhile....like a Flacco situation.  

I was kinda viewing it as he's a seasoned vet and didn't want to go through camp or preseason.  Wait to see what his back up options are after that.  But I could very well be wrong.

If he signs anywhere as a backup it will either be paid like a starter or where the starter is on a short leash. He isn't coming here for a cheap vet deal to backup Josh. 

It’s no more of an issue than it was the previous season with Kyle Allen (who may be even worse than Trubisky), or a couple seasons ago with Trubisky (again). Im also not sure if Keenum was much better than trubisky last year…

Edited by BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What has happened to Trubisky?  He looked like a competent back up a few years ago.

Now he looks lost.  Did Pittsburgh ruin him?

Football ain’t a place to hide and collect a paycheck especially if you don’t wanna put your body in harms way.  He’s made tons of money.  Time to hang ‘em up.  Honestly, Russell Wilson looked the same on Saturday.  Afraid to take off and run.  Curl up in fetal position as soon as the rush gets near.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Football ain’t a place to hide and collect a paycheck especially if you don’t wanna put your body in harms way.  He’s made tons of money.  Time to hang ‘em up.  Honestly, Russell Wilson looked the same on Saturday.  Afraid to take off and run.  Curl up in fetal position as soon as the rush gets near.  

That's usually what happens to fighters at the end.  They don't lose their speed, they just flinch more to hits.  When that happens, you become trigger shy.

On 8/17/2024 at 7:53 PM, Einstein said:

I get it - If Allen goes down with a catastrophic injury, our season is over. That is the case for nearly every NFL team and their starting QB.

However, there also exists injuries that are not season ending. Sometimes you need your backup QB to keep things together for a few games until the star comes back. We need to think no farther than 2019 when Mahomes missed 3 games. The Chiefs went 2-1 without him and their backup was able to avoid a collapse. The Chiefs went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

Trubisky is an absolute disaster. He’s awful. To that point, two facts/statistics stick out to me:

- He was with the Steelers the past two seasons and he was 2-5 when Trubisky starters. That same team was 17-10 over the past two seasons with ANYONE else at QB. He was a handicap for Pitt and he is a handicap for us.

- He has started 57 games in the NFL. In that time, he has won a total of 5 times when his team was trailing in the 4th quarter. And his team was usually trailing in the 4th quarter.  In other words, if we are down in the 4th quarter, and Trubisky is playing, we are toast. 

yup. He almost got Coleman killed on a limp throw!

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If he signs anywhere as a backup it will either be paid like a starter or where the starter is on a short leash. He isn't coming here for a cheap vet deal to backup Josh. 

Surprised the Raidahs haven’t given him a call. Aiden O’Connell or Gardner Minshew as a 17 game starter? No thanks. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What has happened to Trubisky?  He looked like a competent back up a few years ago.

Trubisky plays like someone who was involved in a horrific car accident and is now afraid to get behind the wheel again. Whatever he had once upon a time is gone. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tanny isn't coming back to be a backup. And if he is it will be someone who can PAY him. The Bills can't. I think Hoyer is shot at this stage. 

I guess you have to be irrationally confident to be a pro athlete but he is out of his mind if he thinks someone wants him to start. He is a garbage starter but would be a top end backup and could milk a bunch of money that route. 

2 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

I have more confidence in Kyle than Mitch. Especially after watching Kyle carve up the Texans defense in the first Ps Pittsburgh game. 

Kyle Allen sucks worse than Mitch and Barkley sucks more than both of them (nice guys). 

maybe stop with garbage retread backups. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He was never good. He had one season of good player in college that got him completely over drafted over pre molestor Watson (it’s even dumber looking back at his college career and how great he was) and Mahomes (who threw 50 tds in a season). One of the dumbest moves in history. 

the bears had a great defense and hide Mitch with quick throws and RPOs. He’s why college qbs are hard to evaluate because they can have good numbers but never really make big boy throws. 

mitch, good guy, bad nfl qb

I'm not sure if Kyle Allen is much of an upgrade over Mitch, but I'd feel better about our chances if we had both of them than only 1 of them. We at least need some Mitch insurance.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I'm not sure if Kyle Allen is much of an upgrade over Mitch, but I'd feel better about our chances if we had both of them than only 1 of them. We at least need some Mitch insurance.

They're both hot sticky garbage 

7 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Those are bold words, but a toss up.  MILF Hunter was loathed as a teammate, but has better tools, maybe just no brain to go with them. 

I don't care if Wilson has adhd. He lines up better athletically as Josh's backup then Mitch and Kyle.  We just need someone capable of winning a couple games. Not Mr. Congeniality. 

Tannehill, Hoyer, Gabbert, McCarron, Barkley, Siemian 

Those are the trash that's available... Tannehill is an upgrade to Trubisky most likely but he'll probably be priced out pluse want to wait it out tonsee if a starter goes down so he can try and maximize value and start again.

After that McCarron and Barkley were already here at some point and weren't very good, plus them and the others I'm not convinced are upgrads to Trubisky. 

Watching cuts is more likely but it's not like someone with lots of value will shake loose...

7 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Tannehill, Hoyer, Gabbert, McCarron, Barkley, Siemian 

Those are the trash that's available... Tannehill is an upgrade to Trubisky most likely but he'll probably be priced out pluse want to wait it out tonsee if a starter goes down so he can try and maximize value and start again.

After that McCarron and Barkley were already here at some point and weren't very good, plus them and the others I'm not convinced are upgrads to Trubisky. 

Watching cuts is more likely but it's not like someone with lots of value will shake loose...

I'd take a flier on Max Duggan as a 3rd guy, he just got cut by the Chargers. 

28 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd take a flier on Max Duggan as a 3rd guy, he just got cut by the Chargers. 

I mean, sure, but do want him as the only guy if Allen were down? He's equal in experience to DiNucci who I never want to see take a snap.

That's what he tough part of backup QBs ... Either you pay for a guy or you have to slog through hot garbage hoping you never need him, and if you do, praying you get a flash in the pan. 

I wanted Mike White when the Jests let him go, I'm reading the Fins are between him and Skylar Thompson for the 53, if white is let go, I'd happily sign him.  Experience, NFL wins, he's seen a few NFL systems... I see more upside in the kids abilities, and more NFL experience.

18 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Did you watch Sam Howell play all last season?  Is he great, no.  Does he have ability and moxie to play well for a short period?  Certainly.  He plays like Fitzie used to.  Can make a lot of plays and then can make some mistakes.  Trubisky has no upside anymore.  It’s weak that he’s on our team.  Hopefully not for long.  

And I would take Jarrett Stidham over Trubisky also.  And certainly Ryan Tannehill.  Bills are short sighted not drafting a guy w some upside like a Joe Milton.  Instead we keep drafting OT’s in the later rounds who aren’t making any NFL team’s roster in the late rounds. 

I actually like Sam Howell a lot, but as a starting quarterback, he offers you basically the same thing that QBs 20-64 do. Any of them can win a game on a given day, but you never know what day that will be. Through my life I've seen runs put together by guys like Bruce Gradkowski, Shane Matthews, Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, and even Frank Reich. And then the very next time they played they were so awful it looked like they had no business in the league.

What makes backups backups, is that you never know which version you're going to get. Maybe, if we need him, we'll get the Trubisky who scored 6 TDs to 0 ints for a 154.8 passer rating, or maybe we'll get the guy who played in Pittsburgh last year. There's no way to know and there's probably 25 or more teams in the league that have the same problem.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I get the feeling Tannehill is happy sitting at home and waiting for a starter to get injured or for someone to pay his number. He's not on the couch just hoping for any backup job. If that were the case, someone would have signed him by now.

• Agree 1