We have a backup QB problem

Einstein

What about the scenario where Josh is only out 3 weeks? And we need our backup to win 2 out of 3.  Or we miss the playoffs by 1 game.  Everybody is fixated on if JA gets hurt, he's automatically out for the year and season is lost. My scenario is maybe avoidable if you go after  a Zach Wilson?  I'm sorry but Mitch is a bottom 10 backup, especially watching him these last 2 games. Beane can upgrade this position. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This kid has a chance to win a job on a team with big time aspirations in this second half. Let’s see what you got. 

Maybe in the court of fan public opinion.

But like poor Pre-Season play from Kyle Allen and Case Keenum before him, the play of a Practice Squad QB (especially one joining the team this late) in the 2nd half of Pre-Season games means nothing.

Trubisky has years of experience and was signed to a 2 year, 5.25m dollar contract with about 3m guaranteed. He's not going to be cut for Ben DiNucci.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

It will be interesting to see how many teams keep 2 vs 3 QBs because guys like Zappe, Rush/Lance, Sam Ehlinger, Davis Mills or Case Keenum etc etc 

There will be options out there for a different #2 option and PS guy

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

It will be interesting to see how many teams keep 2 vs 3 QBs because guys like Zappe, Rush/Lance, Sam Ehlinger, Davis Mills or Case Keenum etc etc 

There will be options out there for a different #2 option and PS guy

Again, they paid him approximately 3m guaranteed on a 2 year contract.

They aren't giving him even a fraction of the playbook to play with. They know what he is and what he isn't.

Did you see Kyle Allen last year? Mitch isn't getting cut. They aren't going to go with a guy who may or may not be slightly better who has to learn the playbook on the fly.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

They aren't giving him even a fraction of the playbook to play with. They know what he is and what he isn't.

Did you see Kyle Allen last year? Mitch isn't getting cut.

Did I say they were cutting him? I just said there should be other options out there if they decide to go that route. Notice I also included our PS QB. It wasn’t solely a discussion on # 2 

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Did I say they were cutting him? I just said there should be other options out there if they decide to go that route. Notice I also included our PS QB. It wasn’t solely a discussion on # 2 

You literally said...

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

There will be options out there for a different #2 option

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

You literally said...

Yea in what way did I say they were cutting him. I said there will be options out there for # 2 if they decide to go that route. Point me to where I said Trubisky was getting cut. 

There will be other options at # 2 if the Bills decide to go in a different direction at # 2 QB. There cleaned it up for you 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

If Allen misses two games, the season shouldn’t be over, even if we lost both games.

so what are we talking about? A very specific scenario where we are bad enough to be in danger of missing the playoffs if we lose an extra game or two, but where we are also good enough to win a Super Bowl?

it makes zero sense. Backup QBs don’t matter

You think we’re going to make the playoffs by 2+ games?  I’m pretty optimistic, but I think this season will come down week 17,18.  1 or 2 wins could certainly make or break the season 

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Did you see Kyle Allen last year? Mitch isn't getting cut. They aren't going to go with a guy who may or may not be slightly better who has to learn the playbook on the fly.

And they aren’t going to trade Diggs, dead cap. Remember?

If Mitch is hurt or plays like he has been, I’d be in favor of cutting him if one of the guys gonzo mentioned is available imo.  All likely better.  

they may not cut him, but I do t think it’s because of 3M

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

What about the scenario where Josh is only out 3 weeks? And we need our backup to win 2 out of 3.  Or we miss the playoffs by 1 game.  Everybody is fixated on if JA gets hurt, he's automatically out for the year and season is lost. My scenario is maybe avoidable if you go after  a Zach Wilson?  I'm sorry but Mitch is a bottom 10 backup, especially watching him these last 2 games. Beane can upgrade this position. 

Mitch is terrible and i’m kind of tired of Beane signing our main backup because they are friends of or vibe with Allen.  They need a gamer like a Minshew or draft a young guy with some wheels.  Mitch is so conservative that he will lead the league in 3 and outs if he plays. If he takes chances downfield he will turn the ball over for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, White Linen said:

In his defense, there's no game plan for pre season games.  I think if Josh goes down for a short period of time, we'll see a better version of Mitch.

I'm pretty sure the Steelers had gameplans for Mitch the last two years.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You think we’re going to make the playoffs by 2+ games?  I’m pretty optimistic, but I think this season will come down week 17,18.  1 or 2 wins could certainly make or break the season 

I think if we don’t make the playoffs by two games, we probably aren’t a real Super Bowl contender.

1 hour ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm getting tired of the "if Josh goes down we're toast" mentality. Are we just going to give up because our backup sucks? I want competitive players at all positions first string or backup! Stop signing these retread veteran QBs. Invest a mid round draft spot for an above average QB and groom him behind Allen. I don't agree with Beane/McDermott's philosophy in this regard.

Brother we can’t even draft WR’s to actually play. Now we wanna start investing actual assets to guys who won’t play?

I’m guessing they sign whoever the Broncos cut. I think that’s why Ben DiNicci is here, since he was with the Broncos last year he is familiar with Sean Payton’s offense which has some crossover with the Joe Brady’s stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1