EPL equivalent of the Bills

16 hours ago, TheMightyMaxio said:

I would say Newcastle...we were really good a long time ago...then we were middling...then good again. Then disappeared for a large chunk...and now we are back and we aren't great but we are up there...and we boast some of the games all-time greats however our trophy case is largely "meh". (Some div titles, some AFC titles but no SB's obviously)

I’ll go with Newcastle because they have an awesome intro song which the Bills should borrow.  Their crowds always look great.

Just now, OGTEleven said:

I’ll go with Newcastle because they have an awesome intro song which the Bills should borrow.  Their crowds always look great.

The crowds are great and Blaydon Races is the best song in the Premier League. But it is about an old race track in County Durham and the references in it are very particular to that part of the world. Not sure it can be picked up and used anywhere else. 

Best ground and best football city in England though IMO. It feels like what football used to be (the Bills probably has a bit of that vibe in the NFL). It is a one club city and the ground is up on the hill and looks down on everything around it. People walking up the hill on match day is like a pilgimage. Love it. 

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The crowds are great and Blaydon Races is the best song in the Premier League. But it is about an old race track in County Durham and the references in it are very particular to that part of the world. Not sure it can be picked up and used anywhere else. 

Best ground and best football city in England though IMO. It feels like what football used to be (the Bills probably has a bit of that vibe in the NFL). It is a one club city and the ground is up on the hill and looks down on everything around it. People walking up the hill on match day is like a pilgimage. Love it. 

I was referencing Going Home (Local Hero) by the great Geordie Mark Knopfler.

On 8/16/2024 at 4:37 PM, GoBills808 said:

Probably spurs

It's absolutely Spurs and it's fitting we will have nearly identical stadiums.

They get Spursy, we get Billsy, the outcome is generally the same.

On 8/16/2024 at 5:11 PM, Low Positive said:

The Bills would have been relegated in 1984 so no Super Bowl run in the early 90's. 

they'd have come back up in 88

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, OGTEleven said:

This is my favorite football song.  I made it my ringtone when the Sabres played the Rags in the playoffs many many moons ago.

From a purely footballing perspective, Spurs makes sense. Nearly men, often near the top but never quite getting over the line despite having some sensational individual players.

But from a cultural standpoint - and this is the reason I’m a Bills fan - Everton is a great fit.

- team based in a “smaller” city away from the biggest media market

- city has a reputation for friendliness and distinctive character

- blue collar, working class roots 

- team plays in blue

- team has had a golden period followed by decades in decline

- large loyal fan base that has put up with absolute crap for a long time but turns up week in week out

- team plays in a stadium which has been left behind by others and desperately needs change (with a new stadium actively being built)

- stadium nevertheless has an incredible atmosphere and away teams hate visiting it

- team has been in the shadow of a huge rival which wins loads of trophies and seems to repeatedly receive preferential treatment from the league 

- team has one of the largest catalogues of “hard luck” stories and “couldn’t make it up” travesties known to man.

Bills and Everton - it’s a match made in heaven…or hell.

welcome to my life 

I am a Citizen myself and it balances me as a fan given I am a long suffering Bills fan.

As to a comparable team in the Premier to the Bills it is difficult given there is no salary cap and so many competitions like Champions League, FA Cup, Carbaro, etc. but may I suggest West Ham.

On 8/16/2024 at 5:05 PM, GunnerBill said:

I see the Spursy - Billsy comparison. Ability to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory in a way that goes across eras and regimes because it just seems built into the organisation. 

But I also wonder if there isn't some Arsenal in there. A long drought followed by a lot of very good but not quite good enough. 

That said the Bills are realistically one of the smallest markets in the NFL. In that way it has some Ipswich Town about it. Had a glory period some time ago. 

There is no perfect comparison but those are the three comparisons that spring to mind.

LUFC