EPL equivalent of the Bills

I would say Newcastle...we were really good a long time ago...then we were middling...then good again. Then disappeared for a large chunk...and now we are back and we aren't great but we are up there...and we boast some of the games all-time greats however our trophy case is largely "meh". (Some div titles, some AFC titles but no SB's obviously)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheMightyMaxio said:

I would say Newcastle...we were really good a long time ago...then we were middling...then good again. Then disappeared for a large chunk...and now we are back and we aren't great but we are up there...and we boast some of the games all-time greats however our trophy case is largely "meh". (Some div titles, some AFC titles but no SB's obviously)

Good call. I agree.

6 minutes ago, TheMightyMaxio said:

Yes I could get behind the Newcastle comparison... Newcastle are also known for their wonderful fan base, similar to the Bills.

• Agree 1

I think the Spurs are a better choice -- no championship since 1960.  A lot of heart-breaking losses often due to their own teams stupidity and the terms "Spursy" and  "Billsy" are synomyn.

Newcastle, would have been a good choice a few years ago but they are now owned by the Saudi sovereign fund and have infinite resources (unless you see Pegula and the Saudi royal family as equivalent).

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Probably spurs

I see the Spursy - Billsy comparison. Ability to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory in a way that goes across eras and regimes because it just seems built into the organisation. 

But I also wonder if there isn't some Arsenal in there. A long drought followed by a lot of very good but not quite good enough. 

That said the Bills are realistically one of the smallest markets in the NFL. In that way it has some Ipswich Town about it. Had a glory period some time ago. 

There is no perfect comparison but those are the three comparisons that spring to mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Probably spurs

Because we will play in similar stadiums?  :)

It’s funny, I just sent a buddy the video of them trying to distribute beer at that place last year. They do this funny thing where they place the cup on something and it fills from the bottom up. Of course, when it’s full you still have a cup with a small hole in the bottom, and it will leak all over you. If you put your second beer cup inside your first, it buys you some time before it leaks on you.

So at concessions they would fill one cup, ruining the bottom, then pour that beer into a cup that had not yet been perforated. But they foam up, so it’s happening at glacier speed. It was HYSTERICAL! (But very frustrating to spend half the 2nd quarter trying to get a beer.) The video is 27 seconds, and in that time 8 people behind the counter mange to crank out a whopping 5-6 beers. If our new stadium is like that, it will be torn down after the first preseason game!  😂 

I am not a big soccer fan but the Spurs are the one who I see as snake bitten. They definitely have been close and their fans are considered crazier than most. Truly until 5 years ago I would have said Liverpool but they have completely broken through and no longer resemble us.