When is it time for QB under Josh’s wings?

JROC INTEL

On 8/16/2024 at 10:37 AM, JROC INTEL said:

This is my first thread here. I’m wondering what you guys think. QB is obviously such an important position for the success of a franchise. At what point do you tailor a QB under Josh to better transition into the next era. I love how the Packers make an effort to do this and I think it’s very important personally. I know it’s expensive but it’s also a team investment. I also think it makes more sense when you have an elite QB to be a mentor. Maybe I just have PTSD from the 2000’s but I’d hate to see Buffalo without a promising QB. Thoughts?

I got a two-part answer for you…. Yes, Beane should be looking for a QB in every draft in rounds 3-7…. A young guy with potential to develop. Hopefully he looks great in preseason and we trade him to a team for a pick a few rounds higher …. Like Green Bay did all those years….

But I think to get a franchise QB the team probably needs to bottom out and then draft one very high and then rebuild.

7 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Exactly.  That's why I would love for the Bills to take a flyer on a QB in the later rounds of the draft every few years.  Yes, you are grooming a possible replacement in case the worst happens, like an Andrew Luck situation.  However, I think the bigger reason is as an asset.  Having a young unknown QB is the best way for good teams to collect on investment.  Yes, Matt Cassel is an example and if Bellichick hadn't done Garropolo a solid and traded him to SF, he could've gotten a mind for him from Cleveland or a similar team.  Look at what we paid for Rob Johnson, or what the Seahawks paid for Matt Flynn in free agency (and what GB could've gotten for him if they still had him under contract).  Teams fall in love with backups on great teams who appear in pre-season and a few spot regular season games.  It's a great investment.  If Josh goes down, this teams going nowhere so have a backup who you could flip for some picks.  Could you imagine what we could get for Nathan Peterman if he were drafted two years ago?

You had me until the Peterpick reference.  I wish you woulda started with that and saved me the read.......

4 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Unless you are Packers who have had three good ones in a row.

Two. Brett Favre was traded for from Atlanta in the early 90's. And he started pretty early in that 1st year with Green Bay.

In the sense that they got lucky and hit on both Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love, it's an ideal situation. But nothing about the Drafting of either of them and the situation leading to them starting should be looked at as an ideal situation for us.

Brett was pissed when Aaron was Drafted. He did nothing to "tailor" him as the OP stated he wants and allegedly treated him pretty poorly. It led to a pretty famous contentious exit for Favre that had him retiring, unretiring, and then being traded - claiming they forced him into it. Ending up playing for their Division rival to end their career.

Aaron was equally, if not more pissed by the Drafting of Jordan. Begging for help, they Drafted his successor. He treated Jordan the same way Brett did him, doing nothing to help him. Again, leading to his being traded away before wanting to retire.

This is definitely not what I or most fans would want or should want for the end of Josh's tenure here and is more of an example of why you don't do it that way then it is that you should.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Two. Brett Favre was traded for from Atlanta in the early 90's. And he started pretty early in that 1st year with Green Bay.

In the sense that they got lucky and hit on both Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love, it's an ideal situation. But nothing about the Drafting of either of them and the situation leading to them starting should be looked at as an ideal situation for us.

Brett was pissed when Aaron was Drafted. He did nothing to "tailor" him as the OP stated he wants and allegedly treated him pretty poorly. It led to a pretty famous contentious exit for Favre that had him retiring, unretiring, and then being traded - claiming they forced him into it. Ending up playing for their Division rival to end their career.

Aaron was equally, if not more pissed by the Drafting of Jordan. Begging for help, they Drafted his successor. He treated Jordan the same way Brett did him, doing nothing to help him. Again, leading to his being traded away before wanting to retire.

This is definitely not what I or most fans would want or should want for the end of Josh's tenure here and is more of an example of why you don't do it that way then it is that you should.

Which is why I said they need Josh Allen to buy in to getting a new backup QB and NOT a first round pick who would be looked at immediate rival.