Do the Bills make the playoffs?

Gman10

Yea I’ve told myself they aren’t getting it done this year and I’m ok with that. The past few years built up enough good will to have 1 down year. Now if they cannot continue to rebuild and bounce back the following year that’s when heads should roll.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2024 at 11:58 AM, MikePJ76 said:

You didn't think Chase Claypool was going to make a difference here did you?  Seems like you are trolling here.

as the old saying goes if you want me to tell you who is going to win first you have to tell me who is going to play.

So lets just wait and see what the roster is going to week 1 and then the changes going into week 2 before we start with the playoff worries

This is a troll thread.  Why do Jets, Pats, and Fish fans feel somehow better about themselves when you attack their opponents websites. I don’t care about their websites. Small minded people with small minds.

• Like (+1) 1

I kind of like the lowered expectations - here and nationally.

I mean, no one nationally has Buffalo in the title conversation this year.  

Under the radar is a good place to be.  They might be right nationally, but I really like this team, and I definitely like this quarterback.  The Bills rarely get blown out - games will be close, and if we can eek out enough of them, we can can be there in the end.

• Like (+1) 2

Ultimately, it mostly depends on how well Allen plays,  but my initial impression going into the season is that the two weakest position groups are the safeties and wide receivers.  That's not a good combination and we may be in for a season where the defense can't stop big downfield plays in the passing game and the offense can't generate them. 

27 minutes ago, gjv said:

This year I don't have us making the playoffs. Sorry!

Cardinals  W

Dolphins    L

Jaguars     W

Ravens      L

Texans      L

Jets           L

Titans        W

Seahawks W

Dolphins    W

Colts          W

Chiefs        L

49ers         L

Rams         L

Lions          L

Patriots      W

Jets           L

Patriots      W

A 3 games losing streak AND 4 games losing streak? No way that’s possible with Allen at qb. 

• Agree 1

Jets and Dolphins have tough schedules too. Sure: not as tough as the Bills but there's a lot working against them.

For the Jets: They start off with a loss to the 49ers before 4 very winnable games (Titans. Patriots, Broncos, Vikings). If they slip up and lose one of those games and start 3-2 their path starts to look lurky. As 3 of the next 4 are Bills, Steelers and Texans (with the Patriots in there). Sure they beat the Pats last year and Belichick is gone but do the Pats still just have their number? Maybe they split. So let's say after 9 weeks they are 5-4. They then go @Cardinals, vs. Colts, vs. Seahawks, @Dolphins, @Jags, vs. Rams, @ Bills, vs Dolphins. That's a tough 8 games there. If they split and go 9-8 that's not going to be enough

Jets: 9-8

Dolphins are in a worse spot. They have 3 of their first 4 games at home and don't really get the heat advantage until game 4. They open against the Jags, and being a fellow Florida team, are more prepared for the hot weather. They then get the Bills on Thursday night. Get a winnable away game at Seahawks and then get the Titans at home. They couild be 2-2. Then @Pats, @Colts, vs Cardinals. 2-1 so they are 4-3. Then @ Bills and @ Rams..... lets say they split so they are 5-4 on the season. Then Raiders and Pats at home. So they are 7-4 and then their final 6: @Packers, vs. Jets, @ Texans, vs. 49ers, @ Browns, @ Jets.  So they close out with two cold weather games. They'll probably lose to the 49ers. LEts even say they go 2-1 in the Packers, Jets, Texans stretch. That's 9-8

Dolphins: 9-8

So the question is do the Bills get to 10 wins? They absolutely can't be swept by the Dolphins or Jets and have to sweep the Pats and beat the Titans. If that happens that 5 wins (and I assume they'll beat the DOlphins twice but we;ll see). So can the Bills win 5 out of these games: vs. Cardinals, vs. Jags, @ RAvens, @ TExans, @ Seahawks, @Colts, vs. Chiefs, vs. 49ers, @Rams, @Lions. I think they'll split and ultimately go 11-6 (extra win vs Dolphins).

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Yea I’ve told myself they aren’t getting it done this year and I’m ok with that. The past few years built up enough good will to have 1 down year. Now if they cannot continue to rebuild and bounce back the following year that’s when heads should roll.

Good post - good logic!

On 8/16/2024 at 11:52 AM, Gman10 said:

I know its still VERY early....but Jets and Fins both have an easier SOS. Milano out, no real WR, Claypool gone....I think we are in trouble. 9-8 or if we are lucky 10-7 is my guess and thats probably not enough to get us to the playoffs

OMG STOP it. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are a team too much in transition right now.  Our receivers are a hodgepodge of non all pro talent, and we are not tested in a single NFL game that counts yet.  No experience as a group in a single NFL game when it matters,  W's & L's.    Preseason does not count there is not enough time to gell as an team on offense to start the regular season being in some sort of a groove,  and that is a big concern.  Tonight against the Steelers you are going to get a real look at how bad this year might be on O side of the ball and with this years WR's corp.  If we make the playoffs this year we are one and done team.  Our defense is going to get man handled up front this year.  We did nothing to fix it and we had no money to fix it.  Von is not the answer and Milano now gone again, this will really show that we are just average at best this year.  Not to mention I have real concerns with our RB's this year and our Safety's too.  Cook was supposed to take the next step and hasn't in training camp, he looked bad.  This year is going to be very frustrating as a fan but I will still watch the games. 

Josh can't do everything..for this team.  he has done that the last two years.

That's why I guess we play the games.  We will have to wait & see.

This team is the exact analogy of these words " Is the glass half empty or is the glass half full. "   It all depends how you look at this team right now.

Edited by Toyo321

5 hours ago, major said:

Unfortunately, yes. They need to stick with Grimace 

I seriously don’t get any uproar over this.  I don’t follow the Mets or baseball in general, but It’s certainly no worse than any of the “theme nights “ they probably have throughout the season. 

On 8/16/2024 at 11:52 AM, Gman10 said:

I know its still VERY early....but Jets and Fins both have an easier SOS. Milano out, no real WR, Claypool gone....I think we are in trouble. 9-8 or if we are lucky 10-7 is my guess and thats probably not enough to get us to the playoffs

Look, don’t let these w rose colored glasses get to you. These are legit issues , and throw in guys underperforming like cook, bass , mvs,etc , and after that first game last week , 33-6 , you have to have some questions or it’s just burying your head. I don’t think we’ll know till final roster is settled , and we get 4 games under our belt. By then we will know if Brady , Allen and the o can operate with one really skilled tight end and a bunch of journeymen wr ‘s   If some break out , we may have a good 10-11 win season. 

This d is a real question mark. They always underperform in clutch games , regardless of their stats that so many rely on to argue how great they are.  But the fact is this regime has made just one afc championship game , and regressed to losing their last playoff game AT HOME!  All the injuries were cited as the reason , and that was a factor..   Yet now many more guys are permanently gone and somebody has to prove they can step up at the safety positions, plus stay healthy now at the lb position as depth took a huge hit. , and even the dl has to stay healthy as they have had injury issues every year and they need to finally see if they can ever turn pressures into sacks!     

They are in this position of question because many if beans moves have not worked like he expected, and he complicated things by giving out huge contracts to aging players or to bass before he proved he was indeed the guy. Now he can’t be depended on and they can’t afford to cut or move on from him despite obvious struggles.     So I don’t know how anyone can be totally confident ; the odds are against us as they have not even made a SB yet under mcd , and they have underperformed in all but one postseason where they blew their best chance in 13 seconds. Could they have a good year ? Yes.  But now it’s results time , show me you can at least get to a SB, overcoming the d always choking  when Josh left the field with the lead. I’m only stating facts,,,,,not opinion or arguments based on a team / roster that  has yet to play a full real game together with two newish coordinators , and a real SOS that has better qbs than they often faced last year.   Hoping they will be great ,,, but prove it for once!  

( bears looking good , they have a vibe I would love to start seeing from the Bills !  That’s not hating on the Bills , just want to see them play w confidence and not play down to lesser talented teams as they have a habit of doing ).   Go BILLS ,,,, LETS start having potential turn into results!  

3 hours ago, gjv said:

This year I don't have us making the playoffs. Sorry!

Cardinals  W

Dolphins    L

Jaguars     W

Ravens      L

Texans      L

Jets           L

Titans        W

Seahawks W

Dolphins    W

Colts          W

Chiefs        L

49ers         L

Rams         L

Lions          L

Patriots      W

Jets           L

Patriots      W

Is it OK if we watch the games anyway? 

• Like (+1) 1

I know people are freaking out about the defense, but how different is the D this season from the one that finished last season playing very well?

Last season - DL - Rousseau, Oliver, with a rotation of Floyd, Epenesa, Miller, Settle, Joseph, P Ford and S Lawson

This season - DL - Rousseau, Oliver, D Jones with a rotation of Miller, Epenesa, A Johnson, Smoot, Carter, Solomon, and Jonathan.

This year's group is much stronger.

Last season - LB - Dodson & Benard - with depth of AJ Klein, Williams & Spector

This season - LB  - Williams & Benard - with depth of D Jones, Morrow & Spector (or Jones & Benard - with depth of Morrow, Williams & Spector

Honestly, I don't see much difference.  When Milano went down last year, they tried Williams and when he failed, the inserted Dodson.  This season it's a battle between Williams and D Jones to replace Milano.  I really don't see much difference at all, except Williams and Jones have the potential to be better than Dodson. Benard should also be better as a 2nd year starter.

Last Season - CB - Douglas, Johnson & Benford with Elam and Lewis for depth

This season - CB - Douglas, Johnson & Benford with Elam, Lewis, Ingram and Hardy for depth

Benford should be even better as a 2nd year starter and Elam looks vastly improved

Last season - S Rapp & Poyer - 

This season - S Rapp & Hamlin - with Bishop and maybe Edwards as depth. 

This is the only area that looks like a problem, but Bishop is back to practicing and Hamlin has looked good in camp.  He has starter experience of 13 games in 2022 including 91 tackles before his injury.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Which is the hot take, mine or his?

I believe @MikeClayNFL holds a little more heat than yours. really both are just opinions based off paper right now. when the real bullets start flying I think if rodgers were to stay healthy, a big if, the jets could make some noise. but not enough to surpass buffalo. again it's always barring injuries, staying healthy. which, unfortunately the injuries have come before the seasons even started. the bills could be a surprise and compete on both sides of the ball or, this could be a down season where they may not see the postseason. big "ifs" as always going in to a new season but this one seems to have more questions about how this season will go with a lot of the transitioning.

hope for the best as always and hang on for the ride...

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

9 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

It's hard to see that without homervision, 60% of this board falls in that category after seeing the thread "Who represents the AFC in the SB" and at least 60% said Buffalo.  It's hard to reason with people with that mindset lol

Buffalo Bills fans on a Buffalo Bills fan board picking the Buffalo Bills to go to the Superbowl.

It's shocking, shocking I say.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Kinda wish our season and McDermott’s tenure ended on a loss to Easton stick and some interim HC. 

Then we’d still have Diggs and all this roster turnover which is happening anyway would be worth it.

We could have already tried out a couple HCs since 13 seconds. Never forget 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I know people are freaking out about the defense, but how different is the D this season from the one that finished last season playing very well?

Last season - DL - Rousseau, Oliver, with a rotation of Floyd, Epenesa, Miller, Settle, Joseph, P Ford and S Lawson

This season - DL - Rousseau, Oliver, D Jones with a rotation of Miller, Epenesa, A Johnson, Smoot, Carter, Solomon, and Jonathan.

This year's group is much stronger.

Last season - LB - Dodson & Benard - with depth of AJ Klein, Williams & Spector

This season - LB  - Williams & Benard - with depth of D Jones, Morrow & Spector (or Jones & Benard - with depth of Morrow, Williams & Spector

Honestly, I don't see much difference.  When Milano went down last year, they tried Williams and when he failed, the inserted Dodson.  This season it's a battle between Williams and D Jones to replace Milano.  I really don't see much difference at all, except Williams and Jones have the potential to be better than Dodson. Benard should also be better as a 2nd year starter.

Last Season - CB - Douglas, Johnson & Benford with Elam and Lewis for depth

This season - CB - Douglas, Johnson & Benford with Elam, Lewis, Ingram and Hardy for depth

Benford should be even better as a 2nd year starter and Elam looks vastly improved

Last season - S Rapp & Poyer - 

This season - S Rapp & Hamlin - with Bishop and maybe Edwards as depth. 

This is the only area that looks like a problem, but Bishop is back to practicing and Hamlin has looked good in camp.  He has starter experience of 13 games in 2022 including 91 tackles before his injury.  

So we are the same?! Coupdnt  stop the chiefs last year either.the goal is to get bette r

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Kinda wish our season and McDermott’s tenure ended on a loss to Easton stick and some interim HC. 

Then we’d still have Diggs and all this roster turnover which is happening anyway would be worth it.

We could have already tried out a couple HCs since 13 seconds. Never forget 

So we are the same?! Coupdnt  stop the chiefs last year either.the goal is to get bette r

Fair question, but the injuries continued to mount.  Against KC Klein started for Benard, and Dane Jackson started for Benford.  Losing those two young starters really made things tough. 

The D still held KC to 27 points, and the Bills didn't score in the 4th qtr.  In fact, the offense had 3 possessions in the 4th qtr after KC took the lead.  The first 2 possession resulted in 5 net yards.  They then moved 54 yards, but missed the game tying 44 yard FG.  After KC took the lead, the D allowed only 47 yards to the KC offense on 3 possession.  So was it the defense or offense that lost the game? 

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1