Do the Bills make the playoffs?

Gman10

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Right, as the new Panthers DC

McD would get a HC job if he ever got fired here. He’d be at the top of the list for teams looking. People can dog him all they want and explain away the success he has had but he’s had great success in his time here. That’s what teams will look at. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I hope they go 14-3, of course, but I can't help but think we're in for a fallow rebuilding year and grind it out to 9-8, akin to some of those Brees and Roethlisberger years for the Saints/Steelers. I think the defense is going to disappoint and cost the team a number of games. The talent on the D now is very, very average.

• Like (+1) 3

McDermott is a good coach.  Not sure he’s a great coach.  

McDermott likely isn’t coaching here right now if not for Josh Allen, but thats

how the NFL goes.  If you have a QB, HC/GM have tenure.. if not, 2-4 years and try again. 

If we don’t make the playoffs with a healthy JA in his prime .. you have to, at least, have the conversation. 

But absent a locker room mutiny, he’s probably safe regardless.

And yes, I think we make the Playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I hope they go 14-3, of course, but I can't help but think we're in for a fallow rebuilding year and grind it out to 9-8, akin to some of those Brees and Roethlisberger years for the Saints/Steelers. I think the defense is going to disappoint and cost the team a number of games. The talent on the D now is very, very average.

Average for past two plus years in my opinion. Stats or no stats.

If Von is Von again, Oliver plays like a stud again and Bernard makes a step forward - we will win the Division. It's ALL up to our D. Our O can score but the Defense needs to do their part and right now we look light.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Radar said:

Average for past two plus years in my opinion. Stats or no stats.

I don't buy that. They were 2nd and 4th in points allowed in 2022 and 2023, and 6th and 9th in yards allowed. They were fourth in turnovers forced in 2022 and third in 2023. Those are elite numbers. But the personnel now is very average and the alarmingly bad safety situation is going to really expose the CBs. The Bills under McDermott have excelled at stopping big plays. I predict that ends this season because of the problems on the back end combined with pretty average pass rush talent.  

2 hours ago, Gman10 said:

I know its still VERY early....but Jets and Fins both have an easier SOS. Milano out, no real WR, Claypool gone....I think we are in trouble. 9-8 or if we are lucky 10-7 is my guess and thats probably not enough to get us to the playoffs

I think that’s reasonable. I think that they still make the playoffs because of Josh Allen. 10-7 is about where I have them. They have a shot at the division still imo.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s reasonable. I think that they still make the playoffs because of Josh Allen. 10-7 is about where I have them. They have a shot at the division still imo.

I hope you're right, but I think the Fins finally put it together and win 11 or 12 games. They are not without weaknesses, but by and large they have too much talent, sadly. I don't know what to think of the Jets, but if Rogers is healthy and at least pretty good, I think the Bills wind up in 3rd place. As I said above, the Bills' defensive talent level now is pretty sobering. I can't see NE winning more than 4-5 games max.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gman10 said:

I know its still VERY early....but Jets and Fins both have an easier SOS. Milano out, no real WR, Claypool gone....I think we are in trouble. 9-8 or if we are lucky 10-7 is my guess and thats probably not enough to get us to the playoffs

Not gonna lie...Milano injury hurts.  With so many changes on the defense, his absence sucks.  I am much more optimistic about our offense than our defense this season, and that was before the Milano injury.  My biggest concern on defense was the injury risk having 2 undersized LB's and not having the depth at certain positions we have had in the past to where additional injuries can be a big problem.  

Claypool changes nothing IMHO...he was already trending to not making the roster having missed so much time.  He was a low risk and high reward kind of pickup, he was never someone they needed to step up.  

That being said, I do think this team is still a playoff team and can still compete for the divisional title and even a Super Bowl if we can avoid too many significant injuries to key players.  Maybe more so than in even past years, how healthy we can stay is going to play a bigger role as we aren't as deep with all the transitions we had to make this year for cap and age reasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I hope you're right, but I think the Fins finally put it together and win 11 or 12 games. They are not without weaknesses, but by and large they have too much talent, sadly. I don't know what to think of the Jets, but if Rogers is healthy and at least pretty good, I think the Bills wind up in 3rd place. As I said above, the Bills' defensive talent level now is pretty sobering. I can't see NE winning more than 4-5 games max.

This is certainly possible. This Bills team lacks talent. It’s the worst roster since Josh’s rookie season. With that being said, prime Josh Allen is probably good for 8 wins by himself. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't buy that. They were 2nd and 4th in points allowed in 2022 and 2023, and 6th and 9th in yards allowed. They were fourth in turnovers forced in 2022 and third in 2023. Those are elite numbers. But the personnel now is very average and the alarmingly bad safety situation is going to really expose the CBs. The Bills under McDermott have excelled at stopping big plays. I predict that ends this season because of the problems on the back end combined with pretty average pass rush talent.  

That's the reason I said stats or no stats. Third and long, protecting leads. A touchdown lead minutes to go time and time again they played soft but we all have rights to our opinions. Stats aren't unimportant but don't always tell the whole story.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

The Jets split with the Bills the last two years. If anything, they have proven it will be a tough game (at MetLife at least) especially with that defense. 

The Patriots beat us last year!!! The Patriots!!!

Our only way in this year is winning the AFCE. If Rogers stays on his feet the Jets take the division.
I’m currently at 9 wins and I don’t see the playoffs for this team.