Do the Bills make the playoffs?

Gman10

As usual, injuries will matter a lot, and a bit of luck. The team seems a tad weaker but lots of unproven players would be the more appropriate label. It could go in so many different ways that, hey, play the games and let's find out. Odds are not that great though for another 12-13 W season. If it happens, it's be great news as it means the new players are delivering the goods. 

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 2

Put me down as a solid.... Maybe :) LOL If that is good enough to make it. 

vs Cardinals - W

@ Fins - L

vs Jags - W

@ Ravens - W

@ Texans - L

@ Jets - L

vs Titans - W

@ Seahawks - W

Vs Fins - W

@ Colts - W

Vs KC - L

Vs 9ers - W

@ Rams - L 

@ Lions - L

Vs Pats - W 

vs Jets - W

@ Pats - W 

Edited by JP51
  • Like (+1) 1

Miami has a solid shot at winning the east this year.  They need to win soon due to the contract they gave Tua- won't be able to keep all of the truly great toys they have for long.

Jets need to win now or bust.  I predict bust.  

AFC East is Miami else buffalo.  Miami controls their destiny this season.  Can they get it done or will they remain Buffalo's B word?  

If bills don't win east then maybe 50-50 odds for wildcard.  Not our year - that's coming soon to a new stadium near you - but should be a fun year if we stay healthy.

Allen's floor is 9 wins if he plays at the same pace he has been.  

McD's defense might score us another 2 over the season.

11 wins should be enough to get into the playoffs, and maybe win the East. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gman10 said:

Im thinking Fins win east, Jets get 2 spot (great QB, great D and a very good RB). Bills hit 3rd at 9-8.

This is a real possibility. Injuries not considered.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gman10 said:

Im thinking Fins win east, Jets get 2 spot (great QB, great D and a very good RB). Bills hit 3rd at 9-8.

The QB is also 40 years old and has not enough practice with his team.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The schedule is absolutely brutal.  At least if you consider how teams finished last season.

The real question is whether the Bills can win the division.  Strength of schedule is a real hurdle this year, especially versus the Jets.

First of all, we play ALL of last year's Final Four to the Super Bowl.  Ravens (Road), Chiefs (Home), 49ers (Home), Lions (Road).

We also play two other tough playoff teams from last year's postseason, both unfortunately on the road.  Texans and Rams.

It would be optimistic to think we walk out of these games with a 3-3 record, even if we are just as good as in previous years.

The last few years, our record against the AFC East has been 4-2.  That seems about right again this season.

Split with the Dolphins and Jets, who are both good.  Sweep the Patriots, who suck and have a rookie Quarterback.

Jaguars (Home) were 9-8 and beat us last year.  Seahawks (Road) and Colts (Road) were also 9-8 a season ago, just missing the playoffs.

That leaves the only two bottom-level teams on our schedule, Cardinals (Home) and Titans (Home).

We should be favored to win in all of these.  But we also usually drop at least one game we should win each season.  So let's say 4-1 in these.

That gives us an overall record of 11-6 (same as last year), which would definitely make the playoffs. 

It was barely enough to win the East though.  Now consider the games we play different from our other AFC East competition:

- The Jets play the Broncos (instead of Chiefs), Vikings (instead of Lions) and Steelers (instead of Ravens).

- The Dolphins play the Raiders (instead of Chiefs), Packers (instead of Lions) and Browns (instead of Ravens).

23 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

As usual, injuries will matter a lot, and a bit of luck. The team seems a tad weaker but lots of unproven players would be the more appropriate label. It could go in so many different ways that, hey, play the games and let's find out. Odds are not that great though for another 12-13 W season. If it happens, it's be great news as it means the new players are delivering the goods. 

I expect both O and D to be better.  Go Bills!!

On 8/18/2024 at 12:34 PM, BeastMaster said:

It's going to come down to how we fair against Miami and the Jets

Whoever has the worst combined record in the division against each other is going to be out IMO 

Probably 2-2. I do think the Bills have a shot to sweep Miami. The Bills seem to own them with Allen. The Jets have given the Bills fits recently and their defense causes problems for Allen. I would say a split with them.

I’m not a big fan of how Beane is currently building this team, but we have Josh Allen. This league is more quarterback driven than anyone wants to admit. I don’t think this roster is great, but also don’t see many teams overtaking an Allen led football team. The Fish and Jets have yet to prove anything, but we seem afraid of them every season. I’m not a homer type, but no one in the AFC East has proven anything. I’ll never understand why we always try to crown those guys. We have major flaws that I believe prevent a championship run. That doesn’t mean we aren’t the best in the AFC East. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2024 at 2:26 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Not gonna lie...Milano injury hurts.  With so many changes on the defense, his absence sucks.  I am much more optimistic about our offense than our defense this season, and that was before the Milano injury.  My biggest concern on defense was the injury risk having 2 undersized LB's and not having the depth at certain positions we have had in the past to where additional injuries can be a big problem.  

Claypool changes nothing IMHO...he was already trending to not making the roster having missed so much time.  He was a low risk and high reward kind of pickup, he was never someone they needed to step up.  

That being said, I do think this team is still a playoff team and can still compete for the divisional title and even a Super Bowl if we can avoid too many significant injuries to key players.  Maybe more so than in even past years, how healthy we can stay is going to play a bigger role as we aren't as deep with all the transitions we had to make this year for cap and age reasons.  

Hey Dawg:  Why is there so much doom and gloom about the D??  Yes, there are the unknowns, but consider the patchwork D we had in Dec and Jan.  I say our D starting in game 1 this year is more athletic, faster, younger (less injury prone) and better.  It’s gotta be.  WSY?

21 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Hey Dawg:  Why is there so much doom and gloom about the D??  Yes, there are the unknowns, but consider the patchwork D we had in Dec and Jan.  I say our D starting in game 1 this year is more athletic, faster, younger (less injury prone) and better.  It’s gotta be.  WSY?

I think it’s more a result of the unknown than anything.  We didn’t make any significant additions to the defense while moving on from 4 starters in both safeties, White, and Floyd.  Now add in the loss of Milano, and filling in these spots with low cost vets and youth has people concerned how well it will work.  

I think the defense has the potential to still be good, but it’s more about staying healthy for me as I don’t think we are as deep as last year and losing Milano early was a blow as Bernard is also undersized and got hurt in his first year starting.  So fingers crossed Bernard doesn’t go down while Milano is still out.  

• Like (+1) 1