MPox: The next scamdemic??

Just now, Tommy Callahan said:

you doubt it, but are sure of it, at the same time.

that's some amazing logic

Yup.  I’m sure of my doubt.  Much better than doubting that I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Amazing to have gone our whole lives with no global pandemics then you get 2 in four years - both during a U.S. presidential election. 

Incredible coincidence.   

I see it’s time for me to invest in Reynolds Wrap again 

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

I mean...is the premise here that we should ignore deadly disease?

If/when we are hit by something, which is inevitable, we are going to be well and truly *****.

And i say that while agreeing that while Covid was quite terrible, our response was mostly terrible.

Yes.  Because people googled and think they did research.   That's how some people function nowadays.  They read 3 articles and they are experts.  They then spread their poison on X, Facebook, insta....

41 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Yes.  Because people googled and think they did research.   That's how some people function nowadays.  They read 3 articles and they are experts.  They then spread their poison on X, Facebook, insta....

You will be fine. Just leave the ***** with pocks alone. 

3 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

Liberalism is the decision to lie to protect a person's feelings while simultaneously putting them in a much more dangerous situation. Monkeypox is a gay centric disease and those most likely to get it are promiscuous men. Lying about it does not protect them and being a monogamous gay relationship should keep them safe. 

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/mpox/vaccines/vaccine-recommendations.html

so this seems right then. much ado about nothing?

45 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

totally agree. i think most doctors are culpable in particular. which hurts to say because i know many who risked much to get us through. they just need to stop pretending they are epidemiologists.

6 hours ago, OrangeBills said:

Nobody dies "from the flu", and nobody dies "from COVID".  These are viruses that can potentially stimulate other ailments that can create harm, but it's a huge public disservice for everyone for the "Medical Community" to suddenly switch how they manage these communications

Whatever doc?

47 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Reads like the usual money maker for the industry.

Or one can just avoid anyone with the pocks on their junk.  

The point is, it specifically addresses the high risk for gay men. I was told that was not being done.

2 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

Did you respond to the wrong post? This is unrelated to what I said

you said: "Monkeypox is a gay centric disease and those most likely to get it are promiscuous men. Lying about it does not protect them and being a monogamous gay relationship should keep them safe."

i suppose i interpreted the "lying about it" to mean the (so called) experts (CDC, WHO, etc). maybe you just meant the poster you were responding to. i think i conflated your comment with others here who are saying the experts are not talking about gay men being at high risk. anyways, no harm was intended.

1 minute ago, dickleyjones said:

you said: "Monkeypox is a gay centric disease and those most likely to get it are promiscuous men. Lying about it does not protect them and being a monogamous gay relationship should keep them safe."

i suppose i interpreted the "lying about it" to mean the (so called) experts (CDC, WHO, etc). maybe you just meant the poster you were responding to. i think i conflated your comment with others here who are saying the experts are not talking about gay men being at high risk. anyways, no harm was intended.

The flow of conversation can lead to that, I have certainly done it from time to time. No harm at all 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

One slight modification.  I can accept that the science involved with the virus was evolving, and at times they advocated the equivalent of hiding under the desk in the event a nuclear bomb detonated overhead.  I alos understand that politicians were flying without a net (which is a whole 'nother issue engtirely), and that nobody wanted to be the big dog if this thing turned really, really sideways.  I tried to view Andrew Cuomo's position with significant latitude, though looking back he botched several elements very badly. 

Our leadership, however, did not simply 'cry wolf'.  They cried wolf and then in many cases, completely and irrefutably ignored the rules and guidelines they established as THE ground rules to prevent millions from dying.  I'm in my office setting up plexiglass sneeze guards (the gold standard in avoiding the zombie apocalypse) under threat of criminal/civil penalty, and politicians were encouraging/participating in mass gatherings where people walked arm in arm for hours at a clip.   Governors and Senators were seen dining in vacant restaurants, or bypassing restrictions on flights to see family members, or claiming 'mischief' afoot when seen maskless at baseball games with their friends immediately to their right or left. 

I can forgive crying wolf, but I have always been quite certain that high ranking officials behave hypocritically not because they ignore the rule, but because they have better access to inside information not readily available for the public.  We it time and again while politicians raise alarms over climate change and pollute on a massive scale.  I don't believe any of the offenders wanted to come down with a case of COIVD--or infect their family members, but I do believe they knew the fallout if they did was likely going to mild, temporary and short-lived. 

As for mpox, not a concern of mine at this point.  I'll stay tuned though. 

i don't even give them that much credit. they didn't "know" ***** (for a while, anyways). just like us plebs, there are some politicians who think complying with such a rule is below them.

"rules for thee not for me" - now that's something all politicians can agree on!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

As I stated, you worry more about the stigma than solving the problem. Why are you not proud of yourself, you are differentiating yourself from me, I tell uncomfortable truths and you worry about their feelings, damn the results. I am going to add pretending the American reaction to gays and American reaction is similar is disingenuous. 

you are wrong. The stigma is part of the problem. (Look at all the I’m not gay so doesn’t matter to me posts on here).

Look mr uncomfortable truths, my point is and has been it’s not a gay disease or caused by pride month(yes a poster said that in the thread some Kid some don’t) and the article and quote pretty nearly sums up why it’s important to make that clear. They already face a lot of stigma in society. Gay transgender and any non cis lifestyle is often on this board attacked mocked or made fun of, and sure I love a good couch joke as much as the next dem/commie/libtard but also there is a significant rise in authoritarian tendencies in this country, and those marginalized populations deserve protection not ridicule. That is a slippery slope to all kinds of dehumanization (you know like calling people litards, commies, Marxist or trumpers/fascists). I lived through the AIDS crisis when it was unknown what caused it and watched the president actively ignore those people, those Americans, who he didn’t approve of who suffered and died. And they weren’t all gay.

you want to tell uncomfortable truths, try not shaming people who you “don’t approve of” while doing it.

note I’m not arguing the fact that it is prevalent in the gay community, but it is not cause by and not limited to gay lifestyles. And as we learned in the 80’s you rarely know all the people your partner has slept with and all of the people they have slept with etc, and virus don’t care.

The not ‘billstime’ guy out.