MPox: The next scamdemic??

7 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Wow dude I’m sorry you are so dumb. It must be really hard in life.

The poster I was talking to said we should cancel pride month because after there is some kind of pox.

I pointed out that we should cancel the GOP convention because hurricanes hit then.

Correlation doesn’t imply causation. 

Just because pox outbreaks happen after pride month doesn’t mean pride causes it. Just because hurricanes happen during GOP conventions doesn’t mean GOP conventions cause them.

Now go take your morning nap and let the grown ups talk. 

I'll say you appear to be proficient at the use of logic.

I think the major problem we face as an ongoing nation is that almost everyone of all political persuasions in government leadership positions running the country lack that skill set.

28 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The premise is the general population is at low risk if they avoid gay sex. The data on cases to date makes that clear. That's the message but its something we're not supposed to say. Because we're not supposed to offend anyone we need to play this charade that everyone is at high risk.

I agree with you, proper messaging seems to elude our society at the moment and that's a shame. Happened with covid as well.

However, imo "scamdemic, plandemic" is equally shameful. Maybe mpox will come and go and most people will be fine. Hope so. But it is inevitable that we will be hit by something in the future which makes that rhetoric really dumb. Maybe we won't live long enough to see it. But geez, you would think the lesson learned from covid could be better than "it's always a scam".

Governments around the world blew any trust they had with the people on public health matters.

And deservedly so.

If we get a respiratory pathogen pandemic that legitimately calls for the measures instituted during covid like influenza H5N1 etc.?

We're *****.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Well it’s a pretty messed up thing to call the COVID pandemic a scam when people (me) know multiple people who died and some who will be dealing with long COVID or affects to their health for the rest of their life. 

Nobody dies "from the flu", and nobody dies "from COVID".  These are viruses that can potentially stimulate other ailments that can create harm, but it's a huge public disservice for everyone for the "Medical Community" to suddenly switch how they manage these communications

• Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, phypon said:

Are you denying that MPox is associated with the gay community?  The poster you replied to was making a joke but also pointed out the correlation.  The poster didn't imply that pride month caused it.  If you were as smart as you think you are you would have picked up on that.  Instead you pull a deflection move which has nothing to do with the conversation.

Since you are so smart, I expect an actual response to my question.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna45326

I absolutely implied pride month caused it

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

I agree with you, proper messaging seems to elude our society at the moment and that's a shame. Happened with covid as well.

However, imo "scamdemic, plandemic" is equally shameful. Maybe mpox will come and go and most people will be fine. Hope so. But it is inevitable that we will be hit by something in the future which makes that rhetoric really dumb. Maybe we won't live long enough to see it. But geez, you would think the lesson learned from covid could be better than "it's always a scam".

Will you get the MPox vaccine?  Do you think it should be labeled as a global pandemic?

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/mpox/vaccines/vaccine-recommendations.html

10 minutes ago, phypon said:

Will you get the MPox vaccine?  Do you think it should be labeled as a global pandemic?

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/mpox/vaccines/vaccine-recommendations.html

according to those recommendations, no. although if it starts to become more prevalent and my doc is offering it i probably would even though the risk to me is supposedly low. 

i do find it interesting that i was just told here (not by you) that the problem is "we arent allowed to talk about the increased risk for gay men and mpox." yet here we have the cdc specifically addressing that?

i dont understand why you think it is a good idea to preemptively call a disease outbreak a scam.

Edited by dickleyjones
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dickleyjones said:

according to those recommendations, no. although if it starts to become more prevalent and my doc is offering it i probably would.

i do find it interesting that i was just told here (not by you) that the problem is "we arent allowed to talk about the increased risk for gay men and mpox." yet here we have the cdc specifically addressing that?

do you really think it is a good idea to preemptively call a disease outbreak a scam?

To the bolded, yes, I do.  We've had covid, bird flu, and now MPox.  I don't think it's a good idea to blindly trust the WHO or any other "authority" when they've been proven wrong with regards to how they have handled such situations and have been wrong concerning their implications of such diseases and hastily implemented protocols that have been detrimental.

It's at the point of a "crying wolf" scenario.  I also think we need to ask "why are they doing this?".  The people that we trusted have broken that trust and acted without sufficient data.  Their actions have raised a lot of questions.  The consequences of those actions have also raised a lot of questions where I think skepticism is warranted.  

1 hour ago, phypon said:

Are you denying that MPox is associated with the gay community?  The poster you replied to was making a joke but also pointed out the correlation.  The poster didn't imply that pride month caused it.  If you were as smart as you think you are you would have picked up on that.  Instead you pull a deflection move which has nothing to do with the conversation.

It’s not a “gay disease” grow up. Try reading something. Try learning something for a change. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

Governments around the world blew any trust they had with the people on public health matters.

And deservedly so.

If we get a respiratory pathogen pandemic that legitimately calls for the measures instituted during covid like influenza H5N1 etc.?

We're *****.

Agreed. Very very unfortunate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, phypon said:

Good nap?

It’s ok if you don’t understand logic, analogy or English writing. We all have our faults.

To make it clear I’m answering your question:

”Are you denying that MPox is associated with the gay community?”

My answer: No.

If we want to just cancel gay events, let’s go back to cancelling the RNC:

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/20/the-grindr-super-bowl-gay-dating-app-saw-influx-of-users-during-national-convention/

"Grindr executives are calling the RNC convention the Grindr Superbowl."

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, phypon said:

To the bolded, yes, I do.  We've had covid, bird flu, and now MPox.  I don't think it's a good idea to blindly trust the WHO or any other "authority" when they've been proven wrong with regards to how they have handled such situations and have been wrong concerning their implications of such diseases and hastily implemented protocols that have been detrimental.

It's at the point of a "crying wolf" scenario.  I also think we need to ask "why are they doing this?".  The people that we trusted have broken that trust and acted without sufficient data.  Their actions have raised a lot of questions.  The consequences of those actions have also raised a lot of questions where I think skepticism is warranted.  

I agree re blind trust. Cry wolf, maybe. I think it was/is simply authority figures who don't have a clue about epidemiology being afraid of being wrong so they hid behind doctors (who also have no clue about epidemiology). Damn shame, the epidemiologists i know were pissed off the whole time as doctors were viewed as experts instead of the real experts. And of course we know anyone who dared speak out got the stick (my brother, an er doc, included).

The problem is if we assume cry wolf then we end up like the story ie eaten by wolves ie *****. "it's all a conspiracy" isn't helping.

2 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

It’s not a “gay disease” grow up. Try reading something. Try learning something for a change. 

As another poster posted this link, try reading for yourself.  Also, the point isn't that it's a "gay" disease.  How concerned are you that this is going to be a global pandemic?

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-health-and-wellness/monkeypox-spoiled-gay-mens-plans-invincible-summer-rcna45326

18 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Good nap?

It’s ok if you don’t understand logic, analogy or English writing. We all have our faults.

To make it clear I’m answering your question:

”Are you denying that MPox is associated with the gay community?”

My answer: No.

If we want to just cancel gay events, let’s go back to cancelling the RNC:

https://www.salon.com/2024/07/20/the-grindr-super-bowl-gay-dating-app-saw-influx-of-users-during-national-convention/

"Grindr executives are calling the RNC convention the Grindr Superbowl."

I hope you feel better now with your insults.

So you agree that the people most likely to acquire MPox is the gay community.  With that out of the way, the point of this thread is not about the gay community.  Do you think, as it stands now, that we should be so concerned about MPox to label it a global pandemic that warrants lockdowns and mandatory vaccines?

Go take your nap so you can answer.

49 minutes ago, phypon said:

You don't think Covid was a pandemic?  What recommendations have they made regarding bird flu or MPox that is an over reaction?

Are you aware that with any novel virus the WHO and other public health organizations never have sufficient data?

Edited by Scraps

35 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

Liberalism is the decision to lie to protect a person's feelings while simultaneously putting them in a much more dangerous situation. Monkeypox is a gay centric disease and those most likely to get it are promiscuous men. Lying about it does not protect them and being a monogamous gay relationship should keep them safe. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

You don't think Covid was a pandemic?  What recommendations have they made regarding bird flu or MPox that is an over reaction?

I don't think covid was a pandemic anymore than the common cold or the flu.  I think the vaccines did more damage than covid.  They have killed and culled millions of livestock for the bird flu and now they are naming MPox as a global threat, who knows what they will do in the name of MPox.

21 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

I agree re blind trust. Cry wolf, maybe. I think it was/is simply authority figures who don't have a clue about epidemiology being afraid of being wrong so they hid behind doctors (who also have no clue about epidemiology). Damn shame, the epidemiologists i know were pissed off the whole time as doctors were viewed as experts instead of the real experts. And of course we know anyone who dared speak out got the stick (my brother, an er doc, included).

The problem is if we assume cry wolf then we end up like the story ie eaten by wolves ie *****. "it's all a conspiracy" isn't helping.

The problem is lockdowns, overreaction, closed businesses, untested vaccines, detrimental effects to economies, food shortages, supply chain issues, etc...  If you are going to say a disease is an existential threat, you better be right.  This is the 3rd one in as many years.  The odds of that happening are slim to none.  Also, stop messing with "gain of function" and introducing new diseases or strengthening existing ones.  If you want to trust the "powers that be", good on you.  I do not trust them and I will no longer listen to them or accept them as an authority over my life.  Which then begs the question, why is this continuing?   Why are govt's pushing vaccines and lockdowns?

6 minutes ago, phypon said:

I don't think covid was a pandemic anymore than the common cold or the flu.  I think the vaccines did more damage than covid.  They have killed and culled millions of livestock for the bird flu and now they are naming MPox as a global threat, who knows what they will do in the name of MPox.

The common cold and flu are pandemics.  We just live with the consequences.

Covid is more deadly than the common cold or flu.  It was even more deadly 4 years ago when the virus was novel.

By what measure have the vaccines been more damaging than the virus?    

Culling infected domestic flocks might prevent and infection of humans and prevent a pandemic.

MPox might be a pandemic but so what?  It isn't easily transmitted, unlike Covid, and there isn't much of a threat of infection to the vast majority of the population.

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The common cold and flu are pandemics.  We just live with the consequences.

Covid is more deadly than the common cold or flu.  It was even more deadly 4 years ago when the virus was novel.

By what measure have the vaccines been more damaging than the virus?    

Culling infected domestic flocks might prevent and infection of humans and prevent a pandemic.

MPox might be a pandemic but so what?  It isn't easily transmitted, unlike Covid, and there isn't much of a threat of infection to the vast majority of the population.

I was going to address your points one by one, but the end answer is do some research.  You are wrong on every point you tried to make.  Also, we don't close businesses or mandate vaccines or mandate a quarantine for people for the common cold or flu (which killed more people than covid).  When you do your own research you will see that for yourself.

And another note, livestock was culled for the bird flu but when it was detected in milk the fda said it was still safe to drink.  

In your own words: "MPox might be a pandemic but so what?".  The point of the thread is, will you comply or think that MPox warrants mandatory vaccines or lockdowns?  Based on your own words, I'm guessing you do not think those measures are necessary.