Bills at Steelers Joint Practice 8/15/24

MikePJ76

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I think Davis will be more than that by midseason. 

In terms of the skills required of a starting NFL running back, I can't think of anything Cook does better than Davis. He's faster/quicker, and that's about it.

All indications from camp seem to suggest that Davis is better at catching the ball, better at pass blocking, and is as effective -- if not more so -- as an actual rusher as Cook.

I realize Cook had a productive season last year, but inability to consistently catch the ball and pass block, if not remedied, will pave the way to his ceding snaps to Davis.

Well let's see:

-He was 4th in rushing yards in the NFL as a first year starter to go with dealing with McDermott's benching and putting him in the dog house. (While being 10th in carries)

-He was 6th in total scrimmage yards - even though he can't catch apparently? 

-He was 4th lowest in % of being "stuffed at the LOS"- only Kyren Williams, Khalil Herbert and Justice Hill were better. Despite your quote in the italics.

-Even though he "can't catch" he was #8 RB for receiving yards despite being 15th in routes ran

-Even though he has an "inability to consistently catch the ball" he had an 81% catch rate, best for 11th among all RB

-He had 5 drops but was #2 in yards per reception

-He was 5th in yards per touch

I can go on and on. 

Will he ever be a good pass blocker? probably not.... but dude, to say you can't think of anything Cook does better is actually incredible and I'm not sure you even believe that. The misconception that he can't catch ... when he only had 5 drops last year, hilarious. 

So since you can't think of anything Cook does better than Ray Davis, we should expect Ray to be a top 3 yard getter as an RB(1,200 +) and 500+ receiving yards? 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think you realized how much these guys workout in the offseason.  You don't get the bodies they do by not working hard.

Yes, you're going to have your handful of lazy ones but most of these guys work with personnel trainers in the offseason.

Maybe there is too much working out.  Muscles get too tight with too much torque on the joints.  Causes lots of strains and sprains, pulled muscles, etc type stuff to hamstrings, achilles.  You name it.

These guys are young.  They shouldn't always be so nicked up.  You can be strong without having to be so tight.  You can go and lift in the offseason and do some jogging.  But dam these guys should let their bodies rest.  Eat drink smoke some weed and relax.  Personal training is the biggest waste of money industry ever invented.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Maybe there is too much working out.  Muscles get too tight with too much torque on the joints.  Causes lots of strains and sprains, pulled muscles, etc type stuff to hamstrings, achilles.  You name it.

These guys are young.  They shouldn't always be so nicked up.  You can be strong without having to be so tight.  You can go and lift in the offseason and do some jogging.  But dam these guys should let their bodies rest.  Eat drink smoke some weed and relax.  Personal training is the biggest waste of money industry ever invented.  

I think honestly what's happening is these players bodies are getting beat up younger and younger now.

The training is getting more advanced at earlier ages.  I've seen some built and very athletic looking 12 year olds.  They hit harder today, I see it all the time.

Our LT signed with Auburn out of HS when Auburn was a powerhouse.  He was 270 lbs and he was our biggest offensive lineman.  The HS where my son is going to go to in 5 years has 3 starters OVER 300 lbs...3.  One of them is a stud that runs a sub 5.0 forty.  

Our starting linebacker that signed with the Citadel was 185 lbs as a Senior in HS.  I think all HS LB's are over 200 lbs now.  The sophomore across the street is 210 MLB.  For reference, I graduated in 2000.

I think rest is the key.  The get beat up more with each hit now.  You need that recovery time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Matt Parrino reporting today that Spencer Brown dominated the Steelers to the point where he pancaked 2 different Steelers, also mentioned that O’Cyrus was almost as good and the line as a whole gave Allen plenty of time against a good Pittsburgh pass rush.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, julian said:

Matt Parrino reporting today that Spencer Brown dominated the Steelers to the point where he pancaked 2 different Steelers, also mentioned that O’Cyrus was almost as good and the line as a whole gave Allen plenty of time against a good Pittsburgh pass rush.

One would expect that they were gently motivated to improve this week after last week's debacle.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, julian said:

They got their asses kicked last week by McDermott for that pity of a show they put at High Mark Stadium

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Roundybout said:

I think he’s dead

They should donate his spleen in that case,

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

can barely make it through training camp, how is this going to work with 18 games?

Insane that the NFL is pushing for 18 games. I hate to see the players constantly capitulating to adding games. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

The last few days feels like......

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475l8ggjki1cbn46u5i8

You mean the last few years feels like . McDs built in excuse. Injuries from undersized players. It’s time to move on from our coach and trainers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't doubt the $$ greed of NFL ..... But three years ago the Bills were one of the least injured teams in the league. ... These young men are getting bigger, stronger and faster due to the evolution of sports/athletic science.  .... Meanwhile, cartilage, bones and ligaments can't keep up. .... 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Insane that the NFL is pushing for 18 games. I hate to see the players constantly capitulating to adding games. 

The Steve Tasker compromise: The league can go to an 18 game season but every player gets on game off and he has to be healthy that week. 

36 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The Steve Tasker compromise: The league can go to an 18 game season but every player gets on game off and he has to be healthy that week. 

Gonna be near impossible to enforce the health component. If the NFL cared about player safety and the quality of the product they would do the following. 

1. Add a second bye week, allows players with nagging injuries to get some additional in season rest while also adding in a longer season which should help the NFL pad out their media rights packages. 
  2. Expand rosters to 60 players and no players required to be inactive. Having 7 additional roster spots and no inactive minimums allows teams to add a little more depth sprinkling in 7 additional roster spots allows players to not feel the need to "go out there" because there aren't enough backups. Suring up the roster numbers to add some extra third stringers makes the act of attrition that is the regular season a bit less tough to get through. 
  3. Get rid of OTA's but include a 10-12 day "warm up" period in mid-July right before camp (this one may actually happen both sides seem to want it). 

But we all know the NFL just views the players as meat they throw into a grinder knowing there is a whole line of people lining up to be thrown into the grinder.