Bills at Steelers Joint Practice 8/15/24

MikePJ76

1 minute ago, ShakAttack said:

Major or Minor, Pre-season or regular season, Bills injuries always seem to occur in bunches. Strangest thing... and frustrating too.

I don't remember them being so injured when they sucked. Now they are contenders that can't win in the playoffs partly because they are riddled with injuries. It's been a lot to overcome. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So Allen has a 50% completion percentage at the goaline....Warren Sharp is correct about him. 

It doesn't matter that we scored, it matters that half of Allen's passes went incomplete at the goaline.  

Yeah.  Sharp’s “analysis” was one of the dumbest I have ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Well this thread is a fun read after the Milano news. 

Either we’re being insanely careful or we need to yeet our training staff into the sun. 

Allen is built like a brick wall and the rest of the team is made of glass

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Two different turfs seems like a terrible idea.

A lot of plays result in players running out of bounds and players tend to be pretty particular with their cleats on different turfs and field conditions.

The sidelines just turn to mud, particularly when the weather is bad. Lots of places cover the grass where people stand with a heavy tarp to help prevent it but it shouldn't be a huge issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The sidelines just turn to mud, particularly when the weather is bad. Lots of places cover the grass where people stand with a heavy tarp to help prevent it but it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Miami uses it as an excuse to put a reflective tarp to reflect heat back up onto visiting teams. Of course their side is out of the sun.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think you realized how much these guys workout in the offseason.  You don't get the bodies they do by not working hard.

Yes, you're going to have your handful of lazy ones but most of these guys work with personnel trainers in the offseason.

I have a pretty firm idea about how much these guys are working. It’s certainly a lot. I’m not necessarily asking for more. I’m asking for more team sanctioned practices. 

Updates from Matt Parrino:

Let's start with Khalil Shakir, who was the star of the day on offense for the Bills. It continues to impress just how consistent his hands are and the way defenses struggle to handle him. Shakir was unguarable during 1-on-1s and then he took over in team drills. The highlight of the day was a 40 yard TD down the seam from Allen. The Steelers had 3 defenders in the area and it was a special throw and unreal job by #10 to get separation and haul it in.

Daequan Hardy was my standout player from today's practice, but Dorian Williams was right on his heels.

Early in 11-on-11s, Williams had a nice run stop. This came after two big runs by the Steelers. Later in practice, Williams recorded a pass breakup one play after Terrel Bernard had a PBU of his own. 

He continued his strong play in 7-on-7s. Williams jumped in front of a receiver on a pass from Russell Wilson and forced an incompletion. Definitely a ball that he felt he could intercept. He followed that up with a stop on a short pass.

He showed some excellent closing speed on the next play taking away Wilson's target and forcing him to scramble and have the play blown dead. He later added some pressure that forced a throwaway in practice. 

All in all, an excellent practice for Dorian Williams.

The Shakir play and subsequent catches throughout team drills serves as a great reminder of the upside that remains for this offense. In one of the closing periods, Allen found Shakir for another touchdown to put an exclamation point on the day.

Shakir was outstanding but there might be a case for Dalton Kincaid for the player of practice. He had at least 7 catches that I wrote down in my notes and he was visibly frustrating the Pittsburgh secondary in all three levels of the field. He set up a score with a nice catch on the left sideline and then came back on the next play and abused Corey Trice Jr.

Kincaid struggled on 1 play during 1v1s when he slipped after failing to create separation. I didn't love the route he was running but that's only negative mark on his day. He was all over the field and he made several big catches. 

We may be seeing the start of Spencer Brown's surge after missing the spring. I thought this was his best practice of the summer and he had a few highlights. The offensive line in general felt like they held up well against the Steelers pass rush - mostly the team OL. He had one play early in practice where he got out in space and opened a monster hole for Ray Davis, blasting a Dlinemen to the ground.

One more on Spencer Brown. He absolutely destroyed a Dlinemen during 1v1s. It was borderline embarrassing as he tossed the guy to the ground and then put his hand down to try and help him up!

Deion Jones had an up and down practice. He recorded an interception on a play that bounced right off of George Pickens' hands, but really struggled in one on ones. He was beaten on consecutive reps where he just grabbed Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren to avoid completions down the field.

Zach Davidson with another big TD as two Steelers defenders tried to catch him down the seam on a bullet from Mitch Trubisky. Davidson continues to flash with the big plays but don't look now - Quintin Morris with his best offensive practice of the summer!

I had him with 3 TDs on the day and it's the way he was winning today. He was crisp on his routes and the hands were off the charts. I think he made some real noise today with his performance and continues to show why he shouldn't be counted out. He's a factor at all three levels.

Josh Allen had one interception on the day and it was on a pass intended for Marquez Valdes Scantling. Not great.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 6