Matt Milano had surgery for "significant bicep injury", out indefinitely

Logic

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Could be a blessing in disguise if we get him for the late season and playoffs. Sorry, just trying to find some positive. 

But I wanted to see him get at least 4 sacks and an int in the preseason so I could be sure he was healthy. 

After reflecting on it for an entire day, I feel less concerned by this news than most. For several reasons:

1) The biggest reason is one that's been sifting through my head for months now, which is that I don't really care all that much about the defense... Milano was on the field for our first two Chiefs playoff matchups, and our Bengals playoff matchup. What good did that do us? No defensive player has been a difference maker for us in a post-wildcard game, Milano included. So I just can't bring myself to care.

2) Milano is our best defensive player but he's a WLB. That is not a position that really changes the game script. It's almost like having an elite RB. It's nice but it isn't going to be the main reason you win a championship. If you can't overcome it with talent at more premium positions, you were never a championship team to begin with.

3) I'm kind of excited to see Dorian Williams get his opportunity. Our run defense specifically I think will be even BETTER with him on the field. I'm worried that he is going to be lost out there in pass coverage at times, but baptism by fire might be just what he needs to get acquainted with NFL speed and processing. He has all the physical talent in the world, McDermott and Babich just need to get him to a baseline level on the mental side of the game.

Plus, Williams was likely to get meaningful starting reps at some point this year no matter what, given how injury prone Milano has been. With him now being the day one starter we won't have to suddenly throw him on the field without warning halfway through the season in a critical game. Get his feet wet and let him grow into the role.

4) Worst case scenario we have plenty of replacement level depth options ready to take over the job and none of them are named AJ Klein. This goes back to point 2 - it's just a WLB... You can get by with replacement level play at the position.

The narrative on the season hasn't changed at all with this injury. The season will still come down to more consistent defensive coaching from Babich/McDermott, the pass rush actually showing up when it counts, and most importantly Brady and the offensive weapons proving they can support Allen enough to deliver a top 5 offense. Those were the most important factors one month ago and they're still the most important factors today. Milano was an added bonus, not a fundamental piece of the puzzle.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

After reflecting on it for an entire day, I feel less concerned by this news than most. For several reasons:

1) The biggest reason is one that's been sifting through my head for months now, which is that I don't really care all that much about the defense... Milano was on the field for our first two Chiefs playoff matchups, and our Bengals playoff matchup. What good did that do us? No defensive player has been a difference maker for us in a post-wildcard game, Milano included. So I just can't bring myself to care.

2) Milano is our best defensive player but he's a WLB. That is not a position that really changes the game script. It's almost like having an elite RB. It's nice but it isn't going to be the main reason you win a championship. If you can't overcome it with talent at more premium positions, you were never a championship team to begin with.

3) I'm kind of excited to see Dorian Williams get his opportunity. Our run defense specifically I think will be even BETTER with him on the field. I'm worried that he is going to be lost out there in pass coverage at times, but baptism by fire might be just what he needs to get acquainted with NFL speed and processing. He has all the physical talent in the world, McDermott and Babich just need to get him to a baseline level on the mental side of the game. Plus he was likely to get meaningful starting reps at some point this year no matter what, given how injury prone Milano has been. With him now being the day one starter we won't have to suddenly throw him on the field halfway through the season in a critical game. Get his feet wet and let him grow into the role.

4) Worst case scenario we have plenty of replacement level depth options ready to take over the job and none of them are named AJ Klein. This goes back to point 2 - it's just a WLB... You can get by with replacement level play at the position.

The narrative on the season hasn't changed at all with this injury. The season will still come down to more consistent defensive coaching from Babich/McDermott, the pass rush actually showing up when it counts, and most importantly Brady and the offensive weapons proving they can support Allen enough to deliver a top 5 offense. Those were the most important factors one month ago and they're still the most important factors today. Milano was an added bonus, not a fundamental piece of the puzzle.

Great post man. I think we can all appreciate the optimism at this point. Gotta give you kudos as well for being on point with your info again, even if the news is bad. It's quite nice to have a reliable source on the message board you frequent.

As to your points, I particularly agree with #3. The athletic ability of Williams is not in question. Instincts and pass coverage need improvement, but I am optimistic these will only get better with experience and reps. I look back to last year and remember how many (including myself) were terrified of letting a completely unproven 3rd rounder take the place of Edmunds. Let's hope Dorian can seize the moment just like Bernard did. 

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Groot is legit an elite edge setter though. He has a claim as the best run stopping EDGE in the entire NFL, since his rookie season really. Sure that's not exactly what you're hoping for from a 1st round EDGE so hopefully the pass rush production improves, but he is much more impactful than Shaq Lawson ever was. The NFL at large will probably value him more than you think when he hits FA. Being able to shut down run plays on an entire side of the field isn't sexy but it's very valuable.

The only thing that has value anymore is putting Mahomes on his ass during the playoffs.  The rest is just noise.  I couldn't care less about hits, pressures, hurries or setting the edge. Until we learn the value of sacking Patricia consistently,  he'll continue to break our hearts every January.  If our bar is finding pass rushers like Groot or Lawson, then we're already done.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The only thing that has value anymore is putting Mahomes on his ass during the playoffs.  The rest is just noise.  I couldn't care less about hits, pressures, hurries or setting the edge. Until we learn the value of sacking Patricia consistently,  he'll continue to break our hearts every January.  If our bar is finding pass rushers like Groot or Lawson, then we're already done.

Love this take brother. I also think groot is going to beast this year though

All I got is we played good defense the last 14 games without him.   

Beat KC without him.  

Beat Dallas without him.  

Beat Miami without him.  

It’s a loss yea but can’t afford anymore on D.  And it’s a long season they’re inevitable.  

And I think he’ll be back for the playoff run.  

3 straight wins get hot and healthy.  Same as every freaking year for the team that survives the AFC meat grinder.   

Edited by Big Blitz

The guy is also getting really close to being in replacement mode as a player.   He has been hurt much more often than he has played lately, not his fault but it's time to look at more options to permanently replace him on this team.  We need a younger bigger LB to fill this position. 

His injury sucks, but he's now on the down slope of his career,  where injuries like this are going to plague him moving forward.

Time to look for his replacement.

Edited by Toyo321

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Groot is legit an elite edge setter though. He has a claim as the best run stopping EDGE in the entire NFL, since his rookie season really.

Groot wasn’t even in the top 10 DEs for run stop win rate. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

3) I'm kind of excited to see Dorian Williams get his opportunity. Our run defense specifically I think will be even BETTER with him on the field. I'm worried that he is going to be lost out there in pass coverage at times, but baptism by fire might be just what he needs to get acquainted with NFL speed and processing. He has all the physical talent in the world, McDermott and Babich just need to get him to a baseline level on the mental side of the game.

Plus, Williams was likely to get meaningful starting reps at some point this year no matter what, given how injury prone Milano has been. With him now being the day one starter we won't have to suddenly throw him on the field without warning halfway through the season in a critical game. Get his feet wet and let him grow into the role.

And maybe Milano isn’t the same guy.  Btw,  thanks for the impressive scoop.  Let us know any scoop if Elam is named starter.  

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

All I got is we played good defense the last 14 games without him.   

Beat KC without him.  

Beat Dallas without him.  

Beat Miami without him.  

both playofff games were rough defense-wise though…. granted we had even more injuries compounding things by then (weren’t Bernard and Douglas both out for the Divisional Round game vs KC?)

11 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

both playofff games were rough defense-wise though…. granted we had even more injuries compounding things by then (weren’t Bernard and Douglas both out for the Divisional Round game vs KC?)

Yes both.  

And Spector who I thought was playing well missed the game too and that decimated the depth.   

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

My biggest concern is it's just not that hard to picture Bernard getting hurt. He's undersized and got hurt at Baylor for the entire year before. He plays like Poyer used to. Just all out reckless with his body. Then you have guys like Spector who can't seem to stay healthy. I feel like this group has a quicker path to being completely depleted than making it to the end of the season. 

• Agree 1