Matt Milano had surgery for "significant bicep injury", out indefinitely

Logic

Well this sucks. Bad. The guy is a star, period. And so fun to watch play too.

While all long injuries are always a huge letdown, getting injured outside of games has always felt extra wrong to me. Dude never played one down, not even in preseason. Yet he is out till at least december! With so many injuries in camp, WTH are they doing?

He’ll be back in time to win Super Bowl MVP! 

No, I’m not drinking. 

Yet.

This blows but we played without him most of last year, and we can do it again. It would be great to get a guy of his talent back late in the season. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I made no comment about where Klein lined up.

I stated only that he was abused in the passing game and was a huge factor in the Bills' inability to stop the Chiefs offense. These things are objectively true.

Yes but that was because Bernard missed the game not because Milano missed the game.  Milano isnt even that good in man to man coaverage and no LB can cover Kelce in man to man.  

Milano was an amazing zone coverage LB but he is 30 and it's time to let Williams play.  If he can't play and McD can't coach him up, then why the hell do we keep letting McD and Beane make these decisions.  

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It does not and it’s really a flaw in the system.

I'm not sure "flaw" is the right term. The cap is a percentage of league revenue that is paid to the players; everything works backwards from that. So as long as they pay the player on IR, it needs to count. Now maybe there could be a mechanism to spread the cap hit out for an IR'ed player to not ruin a season, but it all needs to balance out to the CBA's specific percentage of revenue.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, crap. That sucks. I feel bad for Milano too.

About the only positive I got is that at least it happened before roster cuts. Hopefully the Bills can find a better replacement than what they currently have on the roster. Fingers crossed a starting caliber player shakes loose or Beane’s able to make a trade.

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yes but that was because Bernard missed the game not because Milano missed the game.  Milano isnt even that good in man to man coaverage and no LB can cover Kelce in man to man.  

Milano was an amazing zone coverage LB but he is 30 and it's time to let Williams play.  If he can't play and McD can't coach him up, then why the hell do we keep letting McD and Beane make these decisions.  

I was simply replying to the comment "a linebacker will not decide the destiny of this team".

A linebacker kind of DID decide the destiny of this team just last year.

I was simply pointing out that the notion that the absence of an off-ball linebacker (or the performance of his replacement) can't swing a season -- based on recent evidence -- seems inaccurate. That's all.

6 minutes ago, agilen said:

I'm not sure "flaw" is the right term. The cap is a percentage of league revenue that is paid to the players; everything works backwards from that. So as long as they pay the player on IR, it needs to count. Now maybe there could be a mechanism to spread the cap hit out for an IR'ed player to not ruin a season, but it all needs to balance out to the CBA's specific percentage of revenue.

A team should be able to absorb that if they want to or have some way to deal with it. 

at least it gives his ankle more time to heal. 

Even with Milano out Safety is a much much bigger concern for me. 

6 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

My question is why was he doing tackling drills so soon after coming back? Does McD deserve some blame here?

He didn't break his arm and even NFL players need to do occasional form drills to keep fundamentals going. This is football. People get hurt

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Anyone know when the Bills can get out of his contract with minimal impact? 

After 2025, but he'll be back hopefully by December, fresh as hell

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

I was simply replying to the comment "a linebacker will not decide the destiny of this team".

A linebacker kind of DID decide the destiny of this team just last year.

I was simply pointing out that the notion that the absence of an off-ball linebacker (or the performance of his replacement) can't swing a season -- based on recent evidence -- seems inaccurate. That's all.

Also, Milano was our Will/Sam, and was quite good in man coverage. We changed our backer coverages when we went from Edmunds to Bernard specifically because Milano was so good in man coverage