Bills ask for Draft in Buffalo

Mr. WEO

47 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Agree with those thinking that this being at the stadium wouldn't make a lot of sense.

It needs to be within walking distance of a lot of other things to do. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of people just sitting in the "theater" watching all the picks on day 2 and day 3. That needs to be the type of thing people can wander in and out of.

A stage somewhere around Canalside seems like the best bet for a successful event.

The Dallas draft was the worst of the recent drafts for that very reason. It was at the stadium and all they had were some things happening around the stadium grounds. Nothing to do there whatsoever unless you had actual tickets to the draft theater (stadium). There's no way they would have it at the stadium given how they have structured recent drafts. Canalside or Niagara Square would be the likely spot IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

The Dallas draft was the worst of the recent drafts for that very reason. It was at the stadium and all they had were some things happening around the stadium grounds. Nothing to do there whatsoever unless you had actual tickets to the draft theater (stadium). There's no way they would have it at the stadium given how they have structured recent drafts. Canalside or Niagara Square would be the likely spot IMO. 

Well we could do it like the Olympics they had the surfing 🏄‍♀️ in tahti  some 4000 miles away from france.

2 hours ago, teef said:

the weather should be perfect.

Doubtful. It really could vary widely from a temp anywhere from 30 degrees  - 75.

The average high on April 25th in buffalo is 59 degrees with an average low of 40 degrees.

2024 temp: 49 degrees. At night during draft time it was 39.

2023 temp: 71 degrees during the day.

2022 temp: 73 degrees on the 25th , 52 degrees on the 26th , and 41 degrees with a low of 31 on the 27th!

Not sure the NFL would want to risk it.

12 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Niagara Square with a huge monument right in the middle?  Yeah, that makes sense for horrible sight lines for anyone who goes down there. 

1 hour ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Doubtful. It really could vary widely from a temp anywhere from 30 degrees  - 75.

The average high on April 25th in buffalo is 59 degrees with an average low of 40 degrees.

2024 temp: 49 degrees. At night during draft time it was 39.

2023 temp: 71 degrees during the day.

2022 temp: 73 degrees on the 25th , 52 degrees on the 26th , and 41 degrees with a low of 31 on the 27th!

Not sure the NFL would want to risk it.

I was trying to be sarcastic,  but I don’t think it worked. 

2 hours ago, Metal Man said:

Agree with those thinking that this being at the stadium wouldn't make a lot of sense.

It needs to be within walking distance of a lot of other things to do. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of people just sitting in the "theater" watching all the picks on day 2 and day 3. That needs to be the type of thing people can wander in and out of.

A stage somewhere around Canalside seems like the best bet for a successful event.

Move it to Manhattan...

4 hours ago, transient said:

I mean... didn't they leave, in part, due to over-the-top coaching about their hygiene?

If you’re gonna wear raw chicken wings, you need good hygiene coaching. 

Given that the league has held the draft in Detroit and Cleveland, I don't think they could legitimately use weather as an excuse not to have it in Buffalo.  Hotel capacity is another issue.  What numbers does the league have in mind when it comes to available rooms?

15 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I can see the Bills getting a draft here to showcase their new stadium. We can’t have a SB so it seems fair to get a draft. 

I have mentioned this before, but I would say it's a very good bet that the Sabres will get another Winter Classic at the new stadium.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I have mentioned this before, but I would say it's a very good bet that the Sabres will get another Winter Classic at the new stadium.

I could see them doing it in 2028.  Would be the 20 year anniversary of the original one and the stadium will still be considered a new shiny toy at this point.  

• Agree 1