So, let's talk about Warren Sharp's latest tweet, it's a good one

On 8/14/2024 at 2:54 PM, folz said:

If this is actually a thing, it's probably due to our previous "smurf" receivers and small (Singletary) or ineffective (Moss) RBs. Damien Harris was supposed to help there last year, but got injured. We've had a lot of small skill players. That is why a lot of our goal line TDs were Josh running it in or Knox catching a TD (there is a reason Knox had so many TDs over a couple of years). Davis had some size, but was never a decent red zone threat.

Our receiver room is now much bigger and they drafted Davis in the backfield. Hopefully the extra size and strength is what this team needed (and not just at the goal line).

This is one thing I really like about what they have done, they built a team that can score with anyone in perfect conditions (well, ok, they have JA17), but they also added big bodies to try to win some physical battles in Dec/Jan.  They saw a problem and attempted to fix it? I’ll take that.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills don't have any problems scoring. Maybe we could be more efficient at the goal line, but that hasn't really mattered.

We need for our defense to stop collapsing in the playoffs. The defense is why we have been getting bounced every year. We have invested a metric *****-ton of resources in the DL, and it can never generate pressure when we need it. That's on McDermott and Beane.

15 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Josh Allen making snap decisions in tight spaces or under pressure typically doesn't bode well.

Yeah, if there's one place where Allen sucks, it's when he has to improvise and throw off-platform. 

Dumbass.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you look at his postseason games here against teams not named the Chiefs, he's been damn good.

Too bad in 3 of his 4 postseasons here it was the Chiefs who sent us home.

7 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It's Sharp's tweet, not mine.

But I had a pretty detailed plan for a franchise reset at the end of last season that was universally scoffed around here. We'll see how it works out

Sorry I didn't see your "plan." But you didn't answer my question. Is it Allen's fault? Should the Bills ditch him?

My question was in direct response to this, which you ignored: "So, three different OCs, the same ***** results within three yards of the goal line. What's the common denominator, everyone?"

Seems like you are saying it is Allen, which is stupid, but I want to hear you say it.

12 minutes ago, todd said:

Sorry I didn't see your "plan." But you didn't answer my question. Is it Allen's fault? Should the Bills ditch him?

My question was in direct response to this, which you ignored: "So, three different OCs, the same ***** results within three yards of the goal line. What's the common denominator, everyone?"

Seems like you are saying it is Allen, which is stupid, but I want to hear you say it.

My issues with Josh are well known

:lol:

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Are we randomly bad at it?

Or are we bad at it?

Randomness is one possible explanation. There are plenty of others.

Yes and no.

The stat isn't about scoring from the goalline ... but it also is not about passing touchdowns from the goalline.

It's about the success percentage on attempted passes from the goalline, or more specifically from the 3 and in. Success percentage, not total numbers.

We've been the top scoring offense and a great red zone offense over the past 3 years. 

Being bad at passing ONLY (not running) inside the 3 is random happenstance caused by a small sample size. Sharp's tweet had 7 plays over the last 3 years

On 8/14/2024 at 2:45 PM, GoBills808 said:

They've been similarly poor in short yardage situations in general for some time

It's an oline issue 

That’s an interesting point. You might think they would have been better last year with same line all season.  One thing I will say tho is they really have not helped take pressure off Josh as I don’t think the Bills have successfully brought in backs who thrive in short yardage and help divert attention off Josh and the passing game.  

Even tho cook had good overall rushing yardage , he is not great  w short yardage and goes down with contact  fairly easily.  Motor had the same issue  and so was used infrequently at the goal line with the BILLS.   THIS year we again drafted another back that is on the smaller side , but may be better in short yardage. These guys are great until the lines are compacted inside the ten or short yardage like on 4th or 3 rd and short.  Josh makes up for the BILLS  back issues often, , but this reporter was focused on passing game epa.  It seems disingenuous saying we were the number 2 offense , and only this limited play group/ stat separates us from KC’s success.  
     I guess the reporter never saw 13 seconds , our ridiculously injured d last year , or the fact that we can’t rely on Bass to perform under pressure that contributes to winning and has kept us from competing in superbowls. In contrast , he wants to lay it all at Josh’s feet even tho he is responsible for record amounts of combined passing / rushing td’s.  This is like ignoring certain data from a research study to comfirm your bias,  rather than an honest evaluation.   The internet is driven by he who puts out the most click bait, not by factual reporting any longer.  

I think its also possible teams feel like we lack power backs so don’t respect play action in those short yardage situations, common ever since mcd / beane have been here. So they can focus more on Josh in those situations , and it’s makes it harder for him to have time to pass in short yardage as they never face a true power back who would force their corners and safeties to hesitate just enough to make it feasible for our wr’s to get separation. In addition , we have had  some poor play development w both daboll / Dorsey compared to  coaches like Reid or Pedersen in that area.  We have rarely seen wrs schemed open from the 5 in,  unlike the times w Reid / pedersen who are more creative  play in play development, which was critical in both winning SB’ s.  Pretty easy to complete passes when you have someone running free with great play design.    Now we will see how Brady is with having control of the o for a FULL off season., and see if he is more creative than his predecessors.  

I think your point about the o line factors in, yet it’s hard to believe that stat is solely related to line play and seems more multifactorial.  Just as I don’t think it’s fair to say “ Josh must figure it out” , I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s just poor line play.  I think it’s poor play development, in addition to the Bills never having backs that demand respect in short yardage ( cook , motor , aging backs like gore/ Murray who seemed to always get stuffed even if the line didn’t get pushed back; these backs never were great at gaining after contact , with the latter two falling with the Bills because they were ineffective at the end of their careers. They visibly got worse as the year progressed. 

Most teams don’t seem to struggle like the Bills do ( I wil say this epa  stat does fit with what our eyes have seen during the  mcd regime) as they somehow develop effective short yardage backs and I think that threat helps open up wr separation. How many other teams ask their qbs to be the most significant run threat in addition to assessing coverages from the five in, all while their oc’s  set up their qb to be in SHOTGUN formation, adding to the ineffectiveness of the backs in short yardage / goal line situations      How many other teams do we see use shotgun draws from the 3 for two downs, then expect their qb to be great in an obvious passing situation ?  This reporter has not really watched 3 years of BILLS football like he claims !  😂

On a side note , it’s terrible seeing Milano require surgery again , and a huge emotional blow and leadership loss in a year already challenging with so many critical player changes on D,  I love his intensity and he reminded me of how TALLEY always seemed to come up big at critical times.  In 2021, during peak panendemic time , I was lucky enough, and shocked that Milano’s then fiancé came up and introduced herself to me in a Target in Jax beach because I was wearing a BILLS HAT!  
     She was really kind , and we chatted for about 15 min in the store. She described MATT as a very quiet , intelligent , non-extravagant guy who loved reading whenever he had time.  She was on her way to meet him in Tampa before he was headed to camp   Great memory for me , ending with us getting a pic of each other ; she got mine only to prove to Matt there are Bills fans wherever she goes because he had said he rarely sees people in Bills gear outside Buffalo.
     It’s really even more heartbreaking for me now seeing them going through this in consecutive years, as it seems they are a great couple/ great people  and it’s always hard seeing young , kind , good people facing difficult times in life. Last year that was a very bad fracture , involving the tibial plateau and cartilage in the joint. That’s a pretty challenging fracture to return to walking normally from, let alone returning to pro football!. 
     It’s possible he might recover from this biceps tear enough to play late in the season and that could be a huge emotional lift for the team. I hope he just returns to good heath and I hope we haven’t seen the last of him as a Bill. Just another unlucky setback that I think could make the D  a legit limiting factor this year , rather than our O’s epa from 3 yards out !  Here’s hoping to see a SB run that makes this reporter spend all off season next year looking for a different obscure stat explaining why KC didn’t 3 peat!  😁👍

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/14/2024 at 2:54 PM, folz said:

If this is actually a thing, it's probably due to our previous "smurf" receivers and small (Singletary) or ineffective (Moss) RBs. Damien Harris was supposed to help there last year, but got injured. We've had a lot of small skill players. That is why a lot of our goal line TDs were Josh running it in or Knox catching a TD (there is a reason Knox had so many TDs over a couple of years). Davis had some size, but was never a decent red zone threat.

Our receiver room is now much bigger and they drafted Davis in the backfield. Hopefully the extra size and strength is what this team needed (and not just at the goal line).

As good of an answer as will be seen in the thread 

16 hours ago, Airseven said:

Josh Allen making snap decisions in tight spaces or under pressure typically doesn't bode well.

trolling failure 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Warren Sharp has a nice reputation but I would want to know

1) Are the Bills worse in the RZ than average?

2) Are the Bills worse in 1st and goal situations than average?

3) How does Josh's success running the ball in these situations negatively impact his EPA as a passer?  More TDs running means less TDs passing and that has to impact EPA.  But, by how much?  Quantify it then tell me about about your conclusion.

4) I suspect that QBR trumps passing EPA in this regard.  I do not know if that split exists but, if it does and he still ranks at the bottom, then ok, Warren has a point.  If not, and QBR is near the middle or toward the top, I say BS on his conclusion.

On 8/14/2024 at 2:34 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

So, three different OCs, the same ***** results within three yards of the goal line. What's the common denominator, everyone?

You make the call.

Brought back my PTSD

If we swapped coaching staffs with KC I believe the Bills would have at least one Super Bowl.

It almost seems puzzling that McDermott is such a bad coach when Reid was his mentor, but then I remembered how Reid's sons turned out...

On 8/15/2024 at 1:57 PM, stuvian said:

Offseason is clickbait season. With sport stalk shows screaming on every network every story must be exaggerated and conflated for effect

YEP. a voice of reason. It's all about the clicks *shuffles fingers**

On 8/14/2024 at 11:34 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

So, three different OCs, the same ***** results within three yards of the goal line. What's the common denominator, everyone?

You make the call.

We’re actually bad with the ball at either goal line. Embarrassingly so. 

On 8/15/2024 at 8:54 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

My issues with Josh are well known

:lol:

Not by me. Maybe I missed them. Care to share rather than a BS post like this?