So, let's talk about Warren Sharp's latest tweet, it's a good one

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah

When you have the 4th most productive RB and you're still calling exclusively QB keep on third/fourth and short...you have a run game issue

Do the Eagles have the same problem???

Short Yardage QB runs are the most successful, percentage wise, for a reason...They develop faster (taking advantage of the snap count advantage) and they don't render the QB as a useless player after the handoff. Tom Brady, aka the goat, used to use them all the time.

Edited by Mikey152

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's offensive line. We were better last year but still not a blow you off the line group and that is what you need there in short yardage. 

We also don't have a super efficient quick passing game anywhere on the field and that shows up down there.

This as well ^^^

As you said, this team has not been a an efficient quick pass team, during Allen’s tenure here it’s not been that way, it is imo, the one thing Josh doesn’t do well naturally, ( for whatever reasons) and would noticeably help the offense if it became part of what he does. Again jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Do the Eagles have the same problem???

Short Yardage QB runs are the most successful, percentage wise, for a reason...They develop faster (taking advantage of the snap count advantage) and they don't render the QB as a useless player after the handoff.

The eagles have had one of the best offensive lines in the league so no, they do not have the same problem

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, julian said:

Am I alone in my thinking that I don’t want to see them throwing the ball on the 3 yard line.

I mean... cincy we ran play action... allen pump faked and walked into the end zone.  That was a pass play, but doesn't meet this EPA formula.

He has 5 picks inside 10 yards in the last 3 years.  Considering how few pass plays you run in that area?  That probably kills it since every one of those is... a minimum -3, if not more considering down and distance.  

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

The eagles have had one of the best offensive lines in the league so no, they do not have the same problem

Then why do they use QB sneaks so frequently on short yardage plays?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I skimmed the thread and didnt see it posted, and it certainly isnt mentioned in the tweet, but: Where do the Chiefs rank in goal line passing? What teams are ranked at the top?

Better question is...shouldn't we care more about goalline scoring?  Does it really matter HOW you score, or that you score?

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/red-zone-stats/qb.php?yardline=5&range=full

Josh Allen scored 14 TDs from inside the 5 last season rushing and passing. Mahomes scored 12 (all passing). 28 attempts for Josh and 25 for Pat...

So, nothing to see here

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mikey152 said:

Better question is...shouldn't we care more about goalline scoring?  Does it really matter HOW you score, or that you score?

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/red-zone-stats/qb.php?yardline=5&range=full

Josh Allen scored 14 TDs from inside the 5 last season rushing and passing. Mahomes scored 12 (all passing). 28 attempts for Josh and 25 for Pat...

So, nothing to see here

Sure, maybe. But I still want to know since this thread got me curious. Interesting there was so little context given in the original tweet and video.

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean... cincy we ran play action... allen pump faked and walked into the end zone.  That was a pass play, but doesn't meet this EPA formula.

He has 5 picks inside 10 yards in the last 3 years.  Considering how few pass plays you run in that area?  That probably kills it since every one of those is... a minimum -3, if not more considering down and distance.  

Yeah… just get big inside the 3 and let Allen do what he does, and maybe, just maybe god forbid draw up some type of trickery off the big goal line look here and there.

I’m not worried about being 31st throwing from inside the 3 as long as we rarely do it.

18 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Or was it Rob Riddick?

No, it was Roosevelt Leaks. Whenever the Bills had 4th and 1, I'd just call out "It's 4th and Leaks." He seemed unstoppable on short yardage plays. Not so sure about inside the 3 though, but inside the one he was automatic (or at least that's how I remember it).

1 minute ago, julian said:

Yeah… just get big inside the 3 and let Allen do what he does, and maybe, just maybe god forbid draw up some type of trickery off the big goal line look here and there.

I’m not worried about being 31st throwing from inside the 3 as long as we rarely do it.

On the other hand...

Josh converted 8/14 rushing attempts into TDs...Mahomes was 0/6 (for negative 10 yards)

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This as well ^^^

As you said, this team has not been a an efficient quick pass team, during Allen’s tenure here it’s not been that way, it is imo, the one thing Josh doesn’t do well naturally, ( for whatever reasons) and would noticeably help the offense if it became part of what he does. Again jmo. 

Agree. It is an area Josh is not elite in. He has a tendency to be high in the quick game which gives defenders a split second to close. 

But it is definitely oline too. When a team can sell out and crash down on the middle of our line we are vulnerable.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sure, maybe. But I still want to know since this thread got me curious. Interesting there was so little context given in the original tweet and video.

Mahomes has the most passing TDs inside the 5 and was 4th in total behind Hurts, Josh and Russell Wilson

Not sure I see what the cause for alarm is here?  

Josh is 2/4 on goal line pass attempts for 2023.  Not great, but only 4 attempts the whole season.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-splits/passing/goalline/2023?sort=passatt

Mahomes only has 5 attempts, 3 scores.

And when you combine that with 7 rushing TD's on 8 attempts, that's a pretty good success rate when it's up to Josh to score.  

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-splits/rushing/goalline/2023

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1