1. 1. Do you have a pool?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, what kind do you have?

• Kiddie pool
    • Above ground
    • In ground
    • None

A buddy of mine just sold his McMansion. He is entering the empty nest phase of life, but he really wanted to flee from pool ownership.

It cost him $700 to open, and $700 to close it each season, not to mention the utilities and chemicals.

It was nice for the kids for a couple of years, but the smiles per dollar were low.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:02 AM, teef said:

you are correct.  we're on fairport electric.  from what i understand some of the suburbs years ago had the option to buy in from a different energy source.  a few did, and as a result, the electric is very inexpensive.  a lot of the homes in our area are all electric as a result.  we had to put a propane tank in just to have gas fireplaces and a range.  

i'm far more interested in your mind and personality over anything else.  if we can make this work, i'd like to wear matching speedos.  possibly one with a pattern.

Dance Speedo GIF

.......are you really sure you wanna see me in a Speedo?

On 8/13/2024 at 8:18 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Looking to put one in and weighing options and costs. Being in WNY, it can be a large investment for limited seasonal use. I’ve got two young kids, my wife and I don’t work over the summer, and love to entertain/grill with family and friends. We are leaning towards putting one in. The problem? You can do it for 5k-200k depending on what you want. 

So what do you have? Are you happy with it?

For those without, are you glad you don’t have one or wish you did? 

cannonball. 

I grew up with a 4 ft above ground in the back yard that I lived in during the summer. Ehrn us kids moved out my parents got rid of it.

they replaced it with one of those smaller depth 3 ft high at most and 6 ft in diameter ones that my dad would just sit in on hot days. My brother started having kids in the late 90s so when thry came in to visit we’d set it up.

thr big issue since it was a permanent structure over winter was the cleaning thst had to be done in the spring and it requires fencing of some sort to prevent lawsuits 

On 8/15/2024 at 5:55 PM, boater said:

A buddy of mine just sold his McMansion. He is entering the empty nest phase of life, but he really wanted to flee from pool ownership.

It cost him $700 to open, and $700 to close it each season, not to mention the utilities and chemicals.

It was nice for the kids for a couple of years, but the smiles per dollar were low.

Where does he live? I pay 1/2 of that to have mine done 

Local companies are offering discounts for an end of season install. Looking at the following:

18x36 vinyl in ground, salt system and electric heat pump. Figuring out the patio, fencing and additional expenses such as regrading/hydroseeding. It’s all a lot to process. 

Sprayed the pool shape and potential patio onto the lawn and love the flow and set up with existing deck and grill space. 

Just trying to figure out if I can swallow writing the check. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Local companies are offering discounts for an end of season install. Looking at the following:

18x36 vinyl in ground, salt system and electric heat pump. Figuring out the patio, fencing and additional expenses such as regrading/hydroseeding. It’s all a lot to process. 

Sprayed the pool shape and potential patio onto the lawn and love the flow and set up with existing deck and grill space. 

Just trying to figure out if I can swallow writing the check. 

We’ve had one for since 2010. We had it built. It’s nice cuz you can decided the shape and what you want. Back then we were coming out of the financial crisis so companies were desperate and ending up swinging a really nice deal. Cannot believe the price of pools now in WNY. It is not a cheap endeavor and the cost of maintenance and running it a is costly. But if you can do a lot of the maintanece yourself then you can save some money. We never leave the pool during the summer so it effectively pays for itself.. don’t let them tell you a salt generator makes it maintenance free cuz that’s a straight lie. I am constantly checking the chemical levels. Once you get a good balance it’s usually good for the season but will need to always check once weekly. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/18/2024 at 8:49 PM, billsfanmiamioh said:

Where does he live? I pay 1/2 of that to have mine done 

Williamsville NY.

I just double-checked. He spends about $500 to open or close the pool. That includes putting the cover on or off.

4 hours ago, boater said:

Williamsville NY.

I just double-checked. He spends about $500 to open or close the pool. That includes putting the cover on or off.

One of the best parts of having a pool in the South is that it’s usually a visual focal point. It’s something pretty to look out at, usually from most rooms in the house. If I had to cover it for much of the year, I might look toward landscaping and/or hardscaping for my focal point. But I do enjoy a pool! 

I’m curious: for the WNY pool owners, about how long is your open pool season? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m curious: for the WNY pool owners, about how long is your open pool season? 

About 1/3 of the year, mid May-late Sept., in it 100 of those days. 

It’s 65 here now. Waters 88. Wife’s swimming now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I have a 18x40 ft in ground, 10  ft deep with spa and waterfall feature. I would be happy to donate it to anyone willing to come pick it up.

I don’t think U-Haul has a truck for that. That’s a big ass pool. 

On 8/20/2024 at 5:07 PM, US Egg said:

About 1/3 of the year, mid May-late Sept., in it 100 of those days. 

It’s 65 here now. Waters 88. Wife’s swimming now.

I remember getting in trouble for sneaking into our community pool one night before the season opened. It was not heated. You would need a gun to get me in the water at that temp today. 

5 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I have a 18x40 ft in ground, 10  ft deep with spa and waterfall feature. I would be happy to donate it to anyone willing to come pick it up.

Almost identical dimensions. I’m at 40K gallons, had to add 800 lbs of salt for initial startup this year! Back was feeling it that day! 

On 8/13/2024 at 8:18 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Looking to put one in and weighing options and costs. Being in WNY, it can be a large investment for limited seasonal use. I’ve got two young kids, my wife and I don’t work over the summer, and love to entertain/grill with family and friends. We are leaning towards putting one in. The problem? You can do it for 5k-200k depending on what you want. 

So what do you have? Are you happy with it?

For those without, are you glad you don’t have one or wish you did? 

cannonball. 

We live in ROC, NY, and will tell you my story.

My wife wanted a pool as the kids were like 3 and 6. I agreed even though i felt they would never use it - So glad to be wrong - they were in it every day and loved it - through parts of high school. Now we barely use it but it is nice to have and brings back memories.

i have heard you can put balloons out when neighbors are invited, but we kept it low key - just our kids and their friends. Got a better grade above ground, increased insurance (glad a claim hasn't been needed), and invested in a robotic vacuum - drop it in when needed and better than being a pool boy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone pool-hop when they were younger?

Back in my mid-teens in the Buffalo suburbs, we didn't have a pool. In the summer, my friends and I would go out late at night and find a neighborhood with a decent amount of pools. We'd find a long stretch with limited fences or fences we could easily negotiate. Jump in one end of the first pool get to the other end and back out, then on to the next yard. Sometimes we'd see a light come on, but by the time anyone got to a window or door, we'd be 2 or 3 houses down by then. It was obviously dark, so close calls at times; stubbed toes, getting caught or scraped on fences. 

Yep, I was a trouble-maker, but we never stole or damaged anything. It was more of the adventure than the swims. We'd get to the end and have victory-sprint out of the neighborhood. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Anyone pool-hop when they were younger?

Back in my mid-teens in the Buffalo suburbs, we didn't have a pool. In the summer, my friends and I would go out late at night and find a neighborhood with a decent amount of pools. We'd find a long stretch with limited fences or fences we could easily negotiate. Jump in one end of the first pool get to the other end and back out, then on to the next yard. Sometimes we'd see a light come on, but by the time anyone got to a window or door, we'd be 2 or 3 houses down by then. It was obviously dark, so close calls at times; stubbed toes, getting caught or scraped on fences. 

Yep, I was a trouble-maker, but we never stole or damaged anything. It was more of the adventure than the swims. We'd get to the end and have victory-sprint out of the neighborhood. 

Yes! We did this all the time in West Seneca. My sister and her family currently live in my old favorite pool hopping neighborhood. Brings back good memories whenever I visit.

• Awesome! (+1) 1