1. 1. Do you have a pool?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, what kind do you have?

• Kiddie pool
    • Above ground
    • In ground
    • None

Looking to put one in and weighing options and costs. Being in WNY, it can be a large investment for limited seasonal use. I’ve got two young kids, my wife and I don’t work over the summer, and love to entertain/grill with family and friends. We are leaning towards putting one in. The problem? You can do it for 5k-200k depending on what you want. 

So what do you have? Are you happy with it?

For those without, are you glad you don’t have one or wish you did? 

cannonball. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

I don't have one.  

My MiL had an above ground at her old house.  The grandkids all seemed to like it.  

My brother and a cousin both have in ground.  Syracuse/Central NY area.  They've both invested in heaters so they can use it earlier/later in the year, though not year-round.  

Edited by Just Jack

I had one growing up in WNY and it was great as a kid, but I think my parents used it 3 times in 10 years. It is a big investment if you go  inground so weigh it vs what the money would be used for otherwise. Oddly I live in Orlando area and don't have one due to layout of my yard but my kids only say, " I wish I had one" a few times a year but most of their friends have one here, so it is not a big deal

Our kids growing up in FL spent countless hours in the pool. We’d shower them off afterward a few times a week and that was that. 

Flying into Buffalo always shocks me with the number and variety of pools you see. Forget the few posters here who try to bring us down…WE ARE OPTIMISTS!  😂 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Looking to put one in and weighing options and costs. Being in WNY, it can be a large investment for limited seasonal use. I’ve got two young kids, my wife and I don’t work over the summer, and love to entertain/grill with family and friends. We are leaning towards putting one in. The problem? You can do it for 5k-200k depending on what you want. 

So what do you have? Are you happy with it?

For those without, are you glad you don’t have one or wish you did? 

cannonball. 

If you can think about it you can do it. Don’t chintz. Young kids and summer entertainment clinch it. You won’t regret it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I grew up with an in ground and have had two above grounds over the past 20+ years. Pluses and minuses to both. Both of my in grounds were 24' round. Thats's a nice size for an above, a bigger oval would probably be better, but I wouldn't want to go much smaller then 24' unless the property isn't big enough.

In grounds are great if you like to lounge around the pool, if you want it to blend into or enhance  a landscaped backyard or if you want a slide or diving board.

Above grounds are more utiltarian. Nobody I know ever looked at an above ground and thought it made the backyard look better.  But one thing I like about above grounds is once the kids get tall enough it's better suited for play: volley ball net, basketball hoop,etc... Treading water in the deep end of an in ground gets old quick imo. On the other hand you could consider an in ground without a deep end, pretty sure that's an option.

Another thing to consider is that above grounds are disposable. I was actually in an above ground at a party when the side blew out many years ago - epic. I remembered that when my first above ground showed signs of aging and I was able to easily take it down myself. On the other hand, my aging Mom hasn't used her in ground for years, but has to maintain it yearly - the cost to fill it in along with the collateral damage to the property makes it cheaper to keep the pool. 

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Our kids growing up in FL spent countless hours in the pool. We’d shower them off afterward a few times a week and that was that. 

Flying into Buffalo always shocks me with the number and variety of pools you see. Forget the few posters here who try to bring us down…WE ARE OPTIMISTS!  😂 

I flew into Montreal recently and what struck me was how many yards had pools.

• Like (+1) 1

we purchased our home with an in ground pool. We over our 30 years owning it have truly enjoyed it and made it a part of our lifestyle. Our pool season in San Diego is approx mid June- Mid October . 

I will say that  it is not only the initial purchase. There is continual maintenance including chemicals chlorine conditioners etc, replastering , we recently had to do a drain and acid pressure  wash. We replaced our pump and also recently our pool vacuum. We don't have a heater but in WNY you may need one? 

Be aware of those costs too and decide in your area the cost benefit ratio. Also do you do the annual labor yourself or hire someone to take care of it.

if your home is a long term investment or...

think pool safety and wether or not you want it fenced . we have an auto close gate SNAP. It gives me peace. But you can never be too careful

best to you

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I moved to Virginia when I was 5. I was always amazed at all of the pools I'd see in western NY from the plane and hardly any In Virginia.  

No pool for me but may get one in the next few years.  I still live in VA. 

• Agree 1

Had a large above ground FantaSea pool that came with the house.  30x15.

Great when the kids were young. Once they hit 13-14 years old, they stopped using it.  Because of its age and need for repairs, we had it a year or so longer and then took it down.  Would have made the repairs but the lack of anyone using didn’t make it worth it.  Maintenance was kind of a pain.  Hated winterizing and openeing.  Unless heated, limited time in WNY to enjoy.

Bought my wife a Coleman aluminum frame “pop up” pool.  Cheap and actually pretty nice. Had for the next 6 years. Only issue is having to take down when it gets cold.  Liner finally gave out and moved on to a hot tub.  Hot tub maintenance is pretty easy and can use year round.

Edited by davefan66

love the pool.  we bought a house with an in ground, but would have built one anyway.  it's a great tool when the kids are young.  if i feel they've been sitting around too much, we go right into the pool. if their friends come over, if we bbq, etc...there's always people in the pool.  we've had parties where we hire a local lifeguard just to watch because there's tons of kids in there.  we live in rochester, and it's open from the middle of may to the middle of september.  we never use it until june, and there's almost always a few days after it's closed that it get warm enough weather to wish we had kept it open a bit longer.

i'm sure as you're finding out, there's a lot to consider.  above ground vs in ground.  for in ground, do you go with a liner, fiberglass or gunite.  Size, shape, accessories.  some newer builds are great with a swim up bar, stools, etc.  they just get really expensive.  

we have the classic chlorine filter that i feed with 3" disks.  i'd probably go with saltwater as it seems easier, and less expensive.  chlorine tabs are amazingly expensive now.  get the heater too.  we're very lucky where i live because electric is cheap, so we have an electric heater that runs all the time.  gas can get pricy when you run it like that.

another point to consider is who is going to take car of the pool.  the woman we bought our house from said she never really enjoyed the pool until someone took care of it for her.  I do it myself for the week to week stuff.  monitor the water and drop the vacuum in to do its thing.  we do have someone open and close it.  a lot of people are willing to open it, but not close it on their own.

Edited by teef
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When I put my inground in we were quoted for the pool and 3' of concrete around it.  It was like $19K.  Then add more concrete fence, etc. - it almost doubled.   I would highly recommend getting a robotic pool cleaner and you have to have a heater in WNY.   The robot is worth its weight in gold.  I have a Heyward Tigershark.  

Pool.jpg

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My family outgrew our first home about 5 years ago.   I bought a larger house with some property, and it came with an above ground pool.    I personally love the pool, as do a few of the kids, however my wife hates it.    Given the weather in WNY its only functional about 1/4th of the year.   

Part of the issue with ours is the previous owner put it very near a large maple tree in the yard.   Because of the propensity for high winds around here the maple tree often sheds leaves into the pool which quickly leads to algae issues.    Not to mention trying to keep a winter cover down during the winter.   We have found a few tricks to help this issue but it can be a real issue in terms of wear on the cover.     Because of the number of helicopters that fall onto the leaf cover during the fall and amount of water from the snow and ice, its also a pain to open every year.      Above ground pools may be less expensive to construct, but in comparison with my Father In Laws Inground pool, I spend a lot more on chemicals (mostly due to the Maple Tree) and in thd time it takes for me to sweep and vacuum weekly.    Robot cleaners seem to work a lot better in in ground pools and save you time and money.  

This wont be an issue for you because you're installing it, but the pool pump went three days after I bought the house.   The pool cost me 400 dollars in the first week I was there. 

Despite the fact I enjoy the pool, if the house hadnt come with it I dont think I would have put one in.   If the pool is available to use 90 days a year you have to think about how many of those days it rains, or how many of those days you wont be home due to the amount of things we WNYers try to cram in during the good weather. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

We currently have a budget above ground pool. Little 12ft guy from Intex. Got it going into COVID summer 2020 and it's been invaluable.

Great little investment for the amount of use my kid (and us parents) get out of it. Being in Atlanta we use it from May 1 to October. All in, with all the accessories and upgraded filter pump etc, it's only been about $500 total. We've had it for 4 years now and no issues.

If anyone is looking for a cheap and easy pool for the kids, you cant beat it.

That said, we are to the point of redoing the house and yard and looking at in-ground pools next. So far, we got some pricing on some fiberglass, molded in-ground pools. We're looking about $35k-50k for the pool, pumps, plumbing, and concrete. Not too bad.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I only shower off a few times a week and I don't even have a pool.

😆🤣

We have a pool. A pond and a pool. The pond would be good for you……

:)

• Haha (+1) 4

7 hours ago, teef said:

love the pool.  we bought a house with an in ground, but would have built one anyway.  it's a great tool when the kids are young.  if i feel they've been sitting around too much, we go right into the pool. if their friends come over, if we bbq, etc...there's always people in the pool.  we've had parties where we hire a local lifeguard just to watch because there's tons of kids in there.  we live in rochester, and it's open from the middle of may to the middle of september.  we never use it until june, and there's almost always a few days after it's closed that it get warm enough weather to wish we had kept it open a bit longer.

i'm sure as you're finding out, there's a lot to consider.  above ground vs in ground.  for in ground, do you go with a liner, fiberglass or gunite.  Size, shape, accessories.  some newer builds are great with a swim up bar, stools, etc.  they just get really expensive.  

we have the classic chlorine filter that i feed with 3" disks.  i'd probably go with saltwater as it seems easier, and less expensive.  chlorine tabs are amazingly expensive now.  get the heater too.  we're very lucky where i live because electric is cheap, so we have an electric heater that runs all the time.  gas can get pricy when you run it like that.

another point to consider is who is going to take car of the pool.  the woman we bought our house from said she never really enjoyed the pool until someone took care of it for her.  I do it myself for the week to week stuff.  monitor the water and drop the vacuum in to do its thing.  we do have someone open and close it.  a lot of people are willing to open it, but not close it on their own.

........can i be your pool boy?

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We currently have a budget above ground pool. Little 12ft guy from Intex. Got it going into COVID summer 2020 and it's been invaluable.

Great little investment for the amount of use my kid (and us parents) get out of it. Being in Atlanta we use it from May 1 to October. All in, with all the accessories and upgraded filter pump etc, it's only been about $500 total. We've had it for 4 years now and no issues.

If anyone is looking for a cheap and easy pool for the kids, you cant beat it.

That said, we are to the point of redoing the house and yard and looking at in-ground pools next. So far, we got some pricing on some fiberglass, molded in-ground pools. We're looking about $35k-50k for the pool, pumps, plumbing, and concrete. Not too bad.

That’s a helluva run and a lot of family fun for a $500 investment!  Is that right? Pump and everything? 

We built a pool at our last house in Sarasota. It strangely was missing, and it’s pretty much expected in houses at all price points. I looked in our last neighborhood and 48 of the last 50 sales had a pool. It was a fortune to build, and that was almost 20 years ago. A huge chunk of the expense you wouldn’t have in WNY was a pool cage. It was a big area and the cage alone was over $20k! 

EDIT: We did a saltwater pool because we had a son with allergies and sensitive skin. It was awesome, and I’d make that decision again. Also, as we got older and the kids moved on we found ourselves using the spa more and the pool less. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1