Anybody hiring?

Draconator

First of all that sucks, and best of luck. I've been there.

Define incident management.  Was it working for HR with accusations or something involving like that?  The reason I ask is  I worked for a ARC down here in management (Finance) and we we had a incident/quality department. A lot of was investigations of allegations of abuse of clients. I would think the ARC of Erie or People Inc would be good places to check out and see what they have. Same with hospitals, nursing homes and that type.  

Like I said best of luck.

14 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

First of all that sucks, and best of luck. I've been there.

Define incident management.  Was it working for HR with accusations or something involving like that?  The reason I ask is  I worked for a ARC down here in management (Finance) and we we had a incident/quality department. A lot of was investigations of allegations of abuse of clients. I would think the ARC of Erie or People Inc would be good places to check out and see what they have. Same with hospitals, nursing homes and that type.  

Like I said best of luck.

Thanks for the well wishes. 

Incident Management is where something happens, usually an engineer makes a change that breaks something, and it degrades the performance of the product. Be it a website, news feed, etc. Incident Management is contacted, and we work with other engineers who can fix the issue, or work with the original engineers to revert the change they made to the last known working instance. We then schedule post-mortems for higher-priority incidents to discuss what went wrong and what steps can be taken to prevent the mishap from happening again. 

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Incident Management is where something happens, usually an engineer makes a change that breaks something, and it degrades the performance of the product. Be it a website, news feed, etc. Incident Management is contacted, and we work with other engineers who can fix the issue, or work with the original engineers to revert the change they made to the last known working instance. We then schedule post-mortems for higher-priority incidents to discuss what went wrong and what steps can be taken to prevent the mishap from happening again. 

Ya thats different then the human services/health version a bit (LOL).  Don't rule that out and be sure to sign up with Indeed.  .... Mike

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have gone thru that @Draconator and my advice is make sure you have some good references who know what jobs you are trying to get and can talk up right points.  I have got leads in past from some of the banks in Buffalo but they wanted people already living in WNY area even if someone was not looking for moving expenses.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

I have gone thru that @Draconator and my advice is make sure you have some good references who know what jobs you are trying to get and can talk up right points.  I have got leads in past from some of the banks in Buffalo but they wanted people already living in WNY area even if someone was not looking for moving expenses.

I've had a bunch of people reach out to me, asking for my resume, and sending it along to their company hiring managers. 

• Like (+1) 1

networking and personal contacts are always the best. God bless you brother.

In Cali you can input your resume to the city OR county and its own system will report back to you when positions are available you may be qualified for.  Job openings they post. I don't know if such a system exists in NYS

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

Sorry to hear the news, good luck with the job search. 

I work in IT but for a very small company. I've never heard of Incident Management - sounds like a pipe dream for us. What you described sounds like it has tentacles into areas like business/requirements analysis, project management, tech support, etc. (all areas where we struggle as a small org). Might be opportunities to bring your experience from a large org like Yahoo to a smaller org.

Good luck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Sorry to hear the news, good luck with the job search. 

I work in IT but for a very small company. I've never heard of Incident Management - sounds like a pipe dream for us. What you described sounds like it has tentacles into areas like business/requirements analysis, project management, tech support, etc. (all areas where we struggle as a small org). Might be opportunities to bring your experience from a large org like Yahoo to a smaller org.

Good luck.

Incident Management is part of the ITIL protocol. (Information Technology Infrastructure Library). Here is a good, but long, article defining ITIL and the different areas that make it up. https://www.ivanti.com/glossary/itil#:~:text=ITIL%2C or Information Technology Infrastructure,value and benefits to customers.

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What's your thoughts on the locks & dams biz?😏 

bc6c6f094b38fab6a55da6a0923792a5.gif

131249096da4696.gif?r=124917

a5040964-e5ed-420d-94ce-dcc328337943.gif

It's a dam fine business model.

Note: I'm trying to get a new gig too.  Need to switch states as a teacher, the one I work in is a hot mess of a disaster.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It's a dam fine business model.

Note: I'm trying to get a new gig too.  Need to switch states as a teacher, the one I work in is a hot mess of a disaster.

If you want a dam job... Just fill in the parameters, and where you want to be, etc...

Try:

Https://USAjobs.gov

8 hours ago, Draconator said:

That's all you boo

It's also "All duties needed and/or assigned" is in the job description. 

Little bit of this, little bit of that... 😏 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/13/2024 at 5:22 PM, Draconator said:

Yahoo had another round of mass layoffs today, and I was caught up in it. I worked in Incident Management. So if anyone knows of a job lead in that, please let me know. Thanks. 

If there's something good to this it will give you probably some much needed downtime and apply for unemployment benefits if you hadn't done so already.

But yeah it sucks.  I have more stuff at my age to put on my resume but truly my whole projective would be: A Job that minimizes human interaction as much as possibly along with unnecessary nonsense.  

best of luck 

• Thank you (+1) 1