Cook continues to drop passes

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Stats don’t always reflect context.

Yes, he has a good catch %.  But the reason he is being criticized for drops is because he has too many very easy drops on TD’s.  Like balls you should catch nearly 100% of the time.  These are completely uncontested balls like he has them beat pretty well, away from traffic, ball not rocketed or fit in a tight space….just a perfectly thrown ball.

We win the Eagles game if he catches that ball.  Had his man beat on a vertical route and placed perfectly….drop.

Cowboys game isn’t talked about as much because we blew them out and he ran the ball well.  Still, very easy pass that he drops.

Chiefs playoff game.  I believe we scored a TD anyway but again, very easy 3-4 yard crossing route, hit him in the stomach and just dropped.  

The Dolphins game, down by 7 before the half.  Again, very simple ball to catch.  He is wide open, thrown perfectly.  It costs us 7 points.

He has a drop problem and basic non-contextual stats aren’t a good rebuttal against it. 

He also made an excellent catch for a TD during the Cowboys game.

On 8/14/2024 at 6:11 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

I think in the near future Cook will be relegated to a 3rd down RB.  He's talented but lacks focus.  Davis will be the #1RB down the road. 

Not impossible, not at all.

I doubt it, myself. 

We'll see.

It just seems to me to be an endless loop on these boards. The Bills draft Singletary in the 3rd. He's a good RB, not elite but quite good. Fans here moan, correctly, about how he hasn't got breakaway speed and he's not a pounder. They want someone new. The third round guy doesn't play like a 1st round guy. Fans need someone else.

We draft Moss in the 3rd. He's a pounder (until he isn't). Fans aren't happy, and here they've got really good reason, IMO. He's not performing like a 1st rounder. Hell, he didn't perform like a 3rd rounder here, even though he's now doing so.

We draft Cook in the 2nd. He's got breakaway speed. He's 4th in the league in production from scrimmage. It's still not enough. 

We draft Davis in the 4th. We haven't seen him yet, so now he's expected to perform not like a 4th rounder, but like a 1st rounder, expected to beat out Cook and to not have faults in his game.

We shouldn't draft an RB in the 1st, generally speaking. It's rarely a good efficient use of resources. 

And yet when we do the smart thing and draft backs a bit further down, we then expect first round, near-elite performance.

And recycle again.