Cook continues to drop passes

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

The drops last season were killers and they continue to be baffling.  Cook was known as having “great hands” coming out of college

Aha!  It's the difference between the collegiate balls and the balls used in the NFL! :doh:
:flirt:

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

did "most outlets" predict that the Bills will have a bottom quartile passing Offense?

Passing offenses, you know, kinda rely on who is receiving the ball.  

I'll bet you were one of the people last year highlighting how Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield would make that passing offense better.  

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

I'll bet you were one of the people last year highlighting how Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield would make that passing offense better.  

Davis had one playoff game with multiple TD catches, early on he made some toe tapping exceptional catches. But over the last year and a half he provided little. In the end Diggs did little to stretch the field, seemed like most of his catches when he wasn’t taking himself out of games was in the 5 to 10 yard range. I’m very happy with what Shakir and Samual bring to the table. Those two should be more productive this season than Diggs and Davis were last year. If Diggs excels this year it will show that he put out little effort last year in an effort to get himself out of here. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Many outlets have ranked the Bills WR's as bottom quartile in the NFL.  Buffalo acknowledged their issues by signing guys who are one foot out of the league like MVS and Claypool after the draft because they offer no one who can stretch a defense.    

Josh will largely be throwing to a bunch of slot receivers and backs this year.  That's how you know what their offense is going to be and if you can't see that, I'm sorry.    

Jimmy?

Is that you?

30 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

you would lose that bet

But go ahead and link us to some outlets that predict a bottom 8 passing offense for the Bills this year.  Since passing offenses rely on who is receiving the ball…

17 hours ago, BillsClinton said:

The amount of James Cook hate on this forum is.... pretty hilarious. He has dropped some untimely passes (that's an understatement) but he was literally sixth in yards from scrimmage in the NFL last year. The only RBs with more were McCaffrey and Breece Hall (whom Cook has a higher rushing avg). He had a higher rushing avg (4.7) and more yards than Travis Etienne, Bijan Robinson, Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry, Gibbs, Saquon, etc. etc. But I guess he's a bum and we should move on from him as quickly as possible.

Yes it sucks that he has problems catching the ball. That's why he's a running back and not a slot receiver. Do I wish he was CMC? Of course. But the Bills could do, and have done, a lot worse than James Cook. 

it’s the challenge with around the league knowledge being stars and highlight reels. Very good players with those flubs look much worse than they really are compared to peers. 

we know cooks every miss but only see breece highlights 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They have to give Davis a fair shot to win the job.

Agree. Cook has cost us already with his drops and fumbles and it seems he is getting worse. Also missing blitz pickups. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Agree. Cook has cost us already with his drops and fumbles and it seems he is getting worse. Also missing blitz pickups. 

Apparently Davis has far worse issue fumbling.

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

“Far” worse?

Statistically that would seem very difficult to accomplish…

He has 5 fumbles in 2 seasons...can we please stop acting like the man fumbles Everytime he touches the ball?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The offense is going to be a lot different this season minus Diggs and Davis than it was last year.  They feature no decent options downfield and defenses will focus on defending a shorter field.  I don't see Cook replicating last season for that reason.  If he's dropping passes now, he'll do it in the regular season when the element of an intermediate passing game was in place.   

Fred Jackson had almost 1,400 yards in 10 games in 2011 when he went down with a season-ending injury.

And if there's a choice between a 2009-2011 era Fred Jackson or 2023 James Cook the choice is easy who I'd want on the field at RB.  And it ain't Cook.

In Fred Jackson’s 2nd year, he had 571 rushing yards and 317 receiving.

Cooks 2nd year, he had 1122 rushing yards and 445 receiving.

Comparing where they are in their careers, it’s not even close.

Cook caught 82% of his passes last year.  Did he have some critical drops - yes. Should we relegate him to the bench? 

Stats don’t always reflect context.

Yes, he has a good catch %.  But the reason he is being criticized for drops is because he has too many very easy drops on TD’s.  Like balls you should catch nearly 100% of the time.  These are completely uncontested balls like he has them beat pretty well, away from traffic, ball not rocketed or fit in a tight space….just a perfectly thrown ball.

We win the Eagles game if he catches that ball.  Had his man beat on a vertical route and placed perfectly….drop.

Cowboys game isn’t talked about as much because we blew them out and he ran the ball well.  Still, very easy pass that he drops.

Chiefs playoff game.  I believe we scored a TD anyway but again, very easy 3-4 yard crossing route, hit him in the stomach and just dropped.  

The Dolphins game, down by 7 before the half.  Again, very simple ball to catch.  He is wide open, thrown perfectly.  It costs us 7 points.

He has a drop problem and basic non-contextual stats aren’t a good rebuttal against it. 

Edited by Royale with Cheese

23 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The "yips" are a real thing.

Former Mets catcher Mackey Sasser reached a point where he couldn't toss the ball back to the pitcher after a pitch.

I think I read where he had to work with a psychotherapist to overcome the problem.

It could be concentration or it could be psychological.

It could also be that he needs to see an eye doctor... incredibly that is sometimes an issue even in pro sports.

I think the word is "quietly" not "sneaky."

Unfortunately, you’re sneaky wrong.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Stats always reflect context.

Yes, he has a good catch %.  But the reason he is being criticized for drops is because he has too many very easy drops on TD’s.  Like balls you should catch nearly 100% of the time.  These are completely non-contested balls like he has them beat pretty well, away from traffic, ball not rocketed or fit in a tight space….just a perfectly thrown ball.

We win the Eagles game if he catches that ball.  Had his man beat on a vertical route and placed perfectly….drop.

Cowboys game isn’t talked about as much because we blew them out and he ran the ball well.  Still, very easy pass that he drops.

Chiefs playoff game.  I believe we scored a TD anyway but again, very easy 3-4 yard crossing route, hit him in the stomach and just dropped.  

The Dolphins game, down by 7 before the half.  Again, very simple ball to catch.  He is wide open, thrown perfectly.  It costs us 7 points.

He has a drop problem and basic non-contextual stats aren’t a good rebuttal against it. 

You can have some concentration drops and not be in danger of losing your job to a 24 year old mid round pick.

no one is saying those drops don’t exist. He drops the ball. He’s still had one of the best individual seasons by a running back last year.