Cook continues to drop passes

Just now, That's No Moon said:

How can you be the 3rd down back of you can't catch and suck at pass blocking? It would more likely be the opposite with Davis coming in on 3rd down.

Because you post 10 YPC and 4 TD’s on decent volume when you actually play the game.

Cook has ball security and concentration drops. He’s also one of the few explosive players on this offense. He will be a heavy focus.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, stinky finger said:

Who wants  3rd down RB that isn't reliable in the passing game and has a tendency to cough it up?

You're right...if he continues to make focus mistakes, he won't even have that role. He'll be lucky to be a change of pace RB2.  I'm hoping to be wrong but he's trending that way with Davis's play.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Because you post 10 YPC and 4 TD’s on decent volume when you actually play the game.

Cook has ball security and concentration drops. He’s also one of the few explosive players on this offense. He will be a heavy focus.

I'm sorry, how does this respond to my response to another person who asserted that Cook could become a 3rd down back if he keeps putting the ball on the ground?

I'm suggesting that even in that scenario where they try to get Davis on the field more that it would more likely be on 3rd down than Cook because Davis actually catches the football reliably.

Just now, That's No Moon said:

I'm sorry, how does this respond to my response to another person who asserted that Cook could become a 3rd down back if he keeps putting the ball on the ground?

I'm suggesting that even in that scenario where they try to get Davis on the field more that it would more likely be on 3rd down than Cook because Davis actually catches the football reliably.

Because he’s already the third down back. 

Because he’s already had a great season catching the football out of the backfield. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Except when he didn't.

Everyone drops balls. Even Larry Fitzgerald had a ton of drops. Cooks' drops unfortunately came on a couple of potentially big plays that would likely have been TDs. But I dont buy that he was any less reliable than most pass-catching RBs.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Except when he didn't.

Huh?

He was top 6 in receiving yards by RB’s last season.

He was 2nd in yards per catch among RB’s.

3rd in TD catches among RB’s.

This is just ignorant commentary. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My Negative Nancy side thinks this:  It's not good when you're a passing team and your starting RB can't catch and neither can the guy you brought in to be your speedster/deep threat.  

But I have some thoughts about Nancy's negativity.  Cook had some critical drops last season.  But his catch rate (81.5%) was actually above average for a RB.  Maybe because his big-moment failures stick in my memory, I'm underestimating his hands.  And maybe there's a little confirmation bias going on.  I'm noticing every drop, even the ones reported from the practice field, and saying, "Ah.  That confirms it.  He's a mutant who was born with hands of stone."

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Everyone drops balls. Even Larry Fitzgerald had a ton of drops. Cooks' drops unfortunately came on a couple of potentially big plays that would likely have been TDs. But I dont buy that he was any less reliable than most pass-catching RBs.

That's fair. He dropped at least two touchdowns at really important times that I can remember off the top of my head. It's probably recent bias, but he's a little bit in the Tyler Bass category in terms of needing to earn back some trust in that way. His God awful pass blocking doesn't help in that regard either. Whatever.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It’s certainly possible that the gravity of those moments might have had a negative sphincter reaction. The big moment needs to feel like the regular moment. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huh?

Think of it this way. Tyler Bass missed 5 FGs all year. It wasn't an issue. Then he missed 3 in two games and everyone is now nervous.

Cook caught a ton of passes during the season. He dropped at least two really important ones late in the year. Those are stuck in my head.

Blame Ronnie Harmon for this PTSD.

Edited by That's No Moon

Wasn’t cook a football catching vacuum in college? I’m not overly concerned, I think his couple of bad drops on easy TDs have skewed a lot of perception. It’s gotta be just a concentration thing, he has the skill. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Think of it this way. Tyler Bass missed 5 FGs all year. It wasn't an issue. Then he missed 3 in two games and everyone is now nervous.

Cook caught a ton of passes during the season. He dropped at least two really important ones late in the year. Those are stuck in my head.

Blame Ronnie Harmon for this PTSD.

Look at it this way.

Tyler Bass has ranked in his career in FG%

20th

15th

11th

23rd

He is quite literally a below average kicker who kicks a DREADFUL 70.6% in the postseason (and an unfathomable 89% on XP’s in the playoffs).

Tyler Bass may be the most overrated Bills player on the roster. He had a good stretch of play from the end of 21 to the beginning of 22 and has never recaptured that form.

James Cook was a far better RB last season than Bass’s best season EVER as a kicker. 

you should not worry about Bass not because he missed a couple FG’s last year. You should worry about Bass because he’s been streaky and overall nothing special at best his entire Bills tenure.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Every job has to be earned, and kept. I’m glad we have the talent on the roster to have a real competition. Cook proved he can be VERY effective, but you can’t have glaring weaknesses in your game.  Trust is earned. 

His collegiate strength was he had the hands and route running ability of a WR coming out of Georgia.

seems no longer the case

39 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huh?

1 minute ago, iccrewman112 said:

His collegiate strength was he had the hands and route running ability of a WR coming out of Georgia.

seems no longer the case

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, iccrewman112 said:

seems no longer the case

….and this is now. 

I pray he can chill and get it back. I think he can be a great weapon.