Cook continues to drop passes

52 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Isn't he the guy that was 6th in total yards in the NFL last year?  And the 5th most yards receiving on the team--with the 2nd highest catch %?  Pro Bowler last year?

Minor details, either he is CMC good or not worth my time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsClinton said:

The amount of James Cook hate on this forum is.... pretty hilarious. He has dropped some untimely passes (that's an understatement) but he was literally sixth in yards from scrimmage in the NFL last year. The only RBs with more were McCaffrey and Breece Hall (whom Cook has a higher rushing avg). He had a higher rushing avg (4.7) and more yards than Travis Etienne, Bijan Robinson, Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry, Gibbs, Saquon, etc. etc. But I guess he's a bum and we should move on from him as quickly as possible.

Yes it sucks that he has problems catching the ball. That's why he's a running back and not a slot receiver. Do I wish he was CMC? Of course. But the Bills could do, and have done, a lot worse than James Cook. 

Like everything else, ppl form an opinion and have problems letting it go.

First year, it was Cook tripping overhimself/not gaining yards after comtact/outside runner only.

So on and so forth...

6th best yards from scrimmage, and ppl think a rookie 4th rounder should have his job.

This place is comical, with a few logical posters.

Cook looked great in person at camp LY, he's looked even better (stronger/more aggressive in between tackles) this camp.  I could careless about clout/cred, w/e ppl call it nowadays, but I mentioned last offseason that Cook was poised for a huge year.  I won't be shocked if he gets into Top 5 in total scrimmage yards this year.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Like everything else, ppl form an opinion and have problems letting it go.

First year, it was Cook tripping overhimself/not gaining yards after comtact/outside runner only.

So on and so forth...

6th best yards from scrimmage, and ppl think a rookie 4th rounder should have his job.

This place is comical, with a few logical posters.

Cook looked great in person at camp LY, he's looked even better (stronger/more aggressive in between tackles) this camp.  I could care less about clout/cred, w/e ppl call it nowadays, but I mentioned last offseason that Cook was poised for a huge year.  I won't be shocked if he gets into Top 5 in total scrimmage yards this year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ray Davis barely eclipses Cook’s 2023 season in his entire Bills career.

Bananas commentary 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

In my opinion if it continues, you quietly shop him while stock s high after the season.

Cook last year was 3rd worst in the NFL for passes dropped percentage at 11.1%: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/receiving_advanced.htm

The 4 fumbles on 281 touches is probably not what McD is looking for from his lead back either.  Then again, the other option is a rookie who may not have the speed to get to the LOS and gets wrapped up in the backfield.  

Not ideal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Never been a fan, mostly because it was another Beane 2nd round whiff. Please spare me the hate on how he is explosive, a game breaker, etc…he is a RB and Beane finally seems to have learned his lesson waiting until R4 for Ray Davis.

Aside from that which is not his fault, his inability to pass protect and being unreliable from his first ever touch as a Bill has left a soured taste in my mouth.

I’d actually much prefer a well rounded back like Singletary. To top it all off, his interviews are very ho hum. He seems like about as fun as a colonoscopy. Not exactly sending out “I love to be here” vibes. That paired with the on field irregularity leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Cook last year was 3rd worst in the NFL for passes dropped percentage at 11.1%: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/receiving_advanced.htm

The 4 fumbles on 281 touches is probably not what McD is looking for from his lead back either.  Then again, the other option is a rookie who may not have the speed to get to the LOS and gets wrapped up in the backfield.  

Not ideal. 

smoke and mirrors

46 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Not ideal. 

well 5 of the top 10 in drops are RBs so it should immediately be clear that they are overrepresented----maybe because they aren't wide receivers........

if your  RB1 can  otherwise catch over 80% of his targets while racking up over 1500 total yards, I'm struggling to see the logic in what you are trying to argue. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Look at it this way.

Tyler Bass has ranked in his career in FG%

20th

15th

11th

23rd

He is quite literally a below average kicker who kicks a DREADFUL 70.6% in the postseason (and an unfathomable 89% on XP’s in the playoffs).

Tyler Bass may be the most overrated Bills player on the roster. He had a good stretch of play from the end of 21 to the beginning of 22 and has never recaptured that form.

James Cook was a far better RB last season than Bass’s best season EVER as a kicker. 

you should not worry about Bass not because he missed a couple FG’s last year. You should worry about Bass because he’s been streaky and overall nothing special at best his entire Bills tenure.

So we need to draft a rb AND a kicker next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Let's see what Davis can do with the 1st string for the rest of preseason.   I think people will be surprised

Cook is really talented, if a bit one dimensional, but it’s the gaffs in the big spots that lost my trust. He had a big statistical year, but still for some reason my gut says “wait and see”

PS Hope we draft this kid next year…

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

So we need to draft a rb AND a kicker next year. 

Nah.

Cook is pretty good. Let him touch the ball 400+ times over the next two years and then let him go.

Hopeful that Bass turns it around, but he sneaky was never really good. I think we have a new kicker in 25 personally.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think in the near future Cook will be relegated to a 3rd down RB.  He's talented but lacks focus.  Davis will be the #1RB down the road. 

A 3rd down RB who can’t block and drops passes?

• Like (+1) 1

Cook does have some unfortunate timing on some of his drops. Yea that sucks, but even without those, I just don't think teams and players are worried they have to face him. I'd like to say he's average to above average, but that may be the Bills fan in me that thinks that. Idk some stat guy will tell me im wrong and another stat guy will tell the first guy why he's wrong. 

I’m the person that started the thread last preseason that the “next tackle James Cook breaks will be his first”.  Well he proved me wrong, maybe didn’t break a ton but he was slippery enough and had a nice season. I don’t like the dropsies on perfectly thrown passes but can’t kill him for dropping a couple in camp. Let’s see the real games

• Like (+1) 1

The beloved Fred Jackson had 4 or more fumbles in FIVE of his seasons.  Never had 1,500 total yards either. 

Fred Jackson’s catch % was 73.7% for his career in Buffalo.

Cooks catch % so far is 75.6%

Marshall Faulk’s career % was 75.7%

Edited by Bockeye
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Never been a fan, mostly because it was another Beane 2nd round whiff. Please spare me the hate on how he is explosive, a game breaker, etc…he is a RB and Beane finally seems to have learned his lesson waiting until R4 for Ray Davis.

Aside from that which is not his fault, his inability to pass protect and being unreliable from his first ever touch as a Bill has left a soured taste in my mouth.

I’d actually much prefer a well rounded back like Singletary. To top it all off, his interviews are very ho hum. He seems like about as fun as a colonoscopy. Not exactly sending out “I love to be here” vibes. That paired with the on field irregularity leaves a lot to be desired. 

All the interview and vibe stuff isn’t really relevant. However, no matter how Cook looks I am letting him walk once his rookie deal is up. Draft and replace RBs while maintaining RB by committee approach. Money is always better spent up front on the offensive line. With Allen you just need a passable running game which other teams have to respect.

• Like (+1) 2

Yes, the ball security scares me but this young man has a burst that's well above the norm. He has the ability to get yards that aren't there. I'm all for him and hope he keeps the handle on the ball. .... Our most talented RB since Fred J. .....

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Relax guys, it's just practice 

No need to get your panties in a bunch.

Cook will be ready game 1.

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Just practice?  Cmon man. 
you don’t accidentally drop balls cause it’s just practice. 

• Eyeroll 1

12 hours ago, BillsClinton said:

The amount of James Cook hate on this forum is.... pretty hilarious. He has dropped some untimely passes (that's an understatement) but he was literally sixth in yards from scrimmage in the NFL last year. The only RBs with more were McCaffrey and Breece Hall (whom Cook has a higher rushing avg). He had a higher rushing avg (4.7) and more yards than Travis Etienne, Bijan Robinson, Joe Mixon, Derrick Henry, Gibbs, Saquon, etc. etc. But I guess he's a bum and we should move on from him as quickly as possible.

Yes it sucks that he has problems catching the ball. That's why he's a running back and not a slot receiver. Do I wish he was CMC? Of course. But the Bills could do, and have done, a lot worse than James Cook. 

This is the Buffalo Bills.

In my 30+ years of watching this team, it seems like if something CAN go wrong... then it eventually WILL go wrong.  It's frustrating to see the coaching staff willingly trust players that have blown it over and over, and are showing no signs of improvement.

I get all the reasons that James Cook is awesome. explosive, productive, etc., etc., etc.  But the guy dropped a TD in the playoff game.  And he keeps dropping passes in training camp and the preseason.  Just like Tyler Bass blowing the final kick in the playoff game.  And here we are rolling through the preseason with no kicking competition, and reports of him missing over and over in practice.  And just like we continually field an undersized defense, and then act surprised when the group is devastated by injuries by mid-season.