Buffalo’s best food

Just saw a you tube video on iconic food places to visit when in town. They listed Anchor Bar, Charlie’s the Butcher, Chefs, Paula’s donuts, Ted’s hots and some kind of soft candy.  I’m coming to town for the Miami game and wanted recommendations. We moved out of Buffalo in 1983 so I only remember Anchor Bar, Ted’s & Chefs (my Dad’s favorite. Only have Saturday and Sunday, so need places open on those days.

Chefs is a must imo. Ted’s is meh. I will admit they are the best hot dog of anywhere, but at the end of the day it’s still just a hot dog. Imperial pizza is the best pizza in Buffalo. I’d say at the very least, if it’s not the majority, it’s a pretty big number believe they are at least in the conversation. Plus they have a decent dining room to eat in with a full bar. Also outdoor seating as well. 

Charlie the butchers is solid but if you’re going for beef on weck you could just go to Bar Bill and get amazing beef on weck AND possibly the best wings in Buffalo in the same spot. Being a Bills home game weekend, plan on there being a huge wait. I’d go for lunch on Saturday, may even run into some current and/or former Bills while you’re there as they’ll be in town for the game. But I’d suggest to make sure you go to the one in East Aurora, not Williamsville. 

for breakfast the best 2 places in the area imo are Break N Eggs on Main st in Williamsville. Also, expect a huge wait on either Saturday or Sunday. But incredible crepes, and French Toast. And the other place that’s awesome is Campfire Grill in Walden in Cheektowaga/Depew. The great thing about them, is they have a call ahead wait list. So you could call and put your name on a list before you leave and by the time you get there the table will be ready. For the most part it’s a pretty plain jane breakfast place. Eggs and bacon kind of place. But they do have some specialties in the menu that are delicious. The Cinnamon Roll pancakes you can literally eat them without butter or syrup and they are incredible. And the French toast logs are also incredible. 

There’s so many places you could go, and these are just a few suggestions. I’m sure you’ll get a ton of replies and recommendations as well. good luck and welcome home. 

On 8/15/2024 at 9:11 AM, mrags said:

Chefs is a must imo. Ted’s is meh. I will admit they are the best hot dog of anywhere, but at the end of the day it’s still just a hot dog. Imperial pizza is the best pizza in Buffalo. I’d say at the very least, if it’s not the majority, it’s a pretty big number believe they are at least in the conversation. Plus they have a decent dining room to eat in with a full bar. Also outdoor seating as well. 

Charlie the butchers is solid but if you’re going for beef on weck you could just go to Bar Bill and get amazing beef on weck AND possibly the best wings in Buffalo in the same spot. Being a Bills home game weekend, plan on there being a huge wait. I’d go for lunch on Saturday, may even run into some current and/or former Bills while you’re there as they’ll be in town for the game. But I’d suggest to make sure you go to the one in East Aurora, not Williamsville. 

for breakfast the best 2 places in the area imo are Break N Eggs on Main st in Williamsville. Also, expect a huge wait on either Saturday or Sunday. But incredible crepes, and French Toast. And the other place that’s awesome is Campfire Grill in Walden in Cheektowaga/Depew. The great thing about them, is they have a call ahead wait list. So you could call and put your name on a list before you leave and by the time you get there the table will be ready. For the most part it’s a pretty plain jane breakfast place. Eggs and bacon kind of place. But they do have some specialties in the menu that are delicious. The Cinnamon Roll pancakes you can literally eat them without butter or syrup and they are incredible. And the French toast logs are also incredible. 

There’s so many places you could go, and these are just a few suggestions. I’m sure you’ll get a ton of replies and recommendations as well. good luck and welcome home. 

Totally agree about Break n Eggs. Great place but be prepared to wait. Poked Yolk on Transit is another great breakfast/lunch option 

8 hours ago, dhg said:

Totally agree about Break n Eggs. Great place but be prepared to wait. Poked Yolk on Transit is another great breakfast/lunch option 

Yeah that’s why I said it. Def gonna be a wait on the weekends. It’s not even as good as it used to be. It started to go downhill a little when they opened their second location near UB. Still the best breakfast in Buffalo tho. 

9 hours ago, dhg said:

lol. In that note, out to a late breakfast today at Break N Eggs. They said it would be a 45 min wait. Ended up being about 20. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

Pizza (Buffalo style): Imperial

Pizza (NYC style): Ferros (Josh's favorite)

Wings: Probably too many to list but the usual suspects of Barbill, Mamosers, Duff's and Elmo's come to mind. 

Breakfast: Polked Yolk in OP, ZeeJays in Hamburg 

Bars near Stadium/OP: Byrd House, Prohibition, O'Neal's. All friendly, good Bills crowds and decent food.

New comers/Other notables: NY Beer Project in OP (great location, brews and food). Wayland Brewery in OP (good beer, excellent Detroit style pizza). Main and Hamlin in East Aurora (good option if Barbill is packed)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.