Dolphins Superstar Tyreek Hill Believes He Can Beat Noah Lyles in a Race

mjd1001

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It wouldn't be anywhere close to 10m with those numbers.

10.19 seconds - 9.79 seconds = difference of 0.4 seconds

Noah: 100 meters/10.19 seconds = 9.92 meters per second

9.82 meters per second x 0.4 seconds = 3.9 meters

Our best guess would be Noah beating Hill by 3.9 meters. Which is 60.7% less than 10 meters.

K

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Einstein said:

Our best guess would be Noah beating Hill by 3.9 meters. Which is 60.7% less than 10 meters.

Except that 10.19 time by Hill is his best ever, right? And he hasn't been training for that event lately so I'm guessing (and I think rightly so) he's not going to beat that, repeat it, or probably be very close to it without a LOT of training for that event.  Lyles, however, is almost always at 10 seconds or below.  Even his times at or slightly above 10 seconds are usually in qualifying events.  When he is in the finals, and needs to put down a good number, he usually is closer to 9.8.  9.79 in the Olympics here.  9.8 or 9.83 in at the Worlds last year.  

Of course this is my opinion, but I think if Lyles is focused, hes hitting 9.8, or possibly only a few hundreds behind or maybe even in front of that number.  I think the odds of Hill repeating his 10.19 are much lower than Lyles repeating the 9.8. Thus, my opinion is Hill would be farther behind than their 'best ever' times state.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

They don’t run the same speed the entire race. It takes them several seconds to reach their max speed. Hill would lose by more than 3.9 meters. 

• Agree 1

Besides their natural ability, all else being equal (training, diet, etc) Lyles would still win 99/100 times because he has longer legs. They're built different. Lyles can get the same turnover, but with a longer stride. While Tyreek may gain an edge out of the starting block, Lyles will move past him over 100m. The physics are against Tyreek.

58 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Besides their natural ability, all else being equal (training, diet, etc) Lyles would still win 99/100 times because he has longer legs. They're built different. Lyles can get the same turnover, but with a longer stride. While Tyreek may gain an edge out of the starting block, Lyles will move past him over 100m. The physics are against Tyreek.

I remember the Olympics with Usain Bolt, his longer legs meant he needed less strides to reach 100 meters than all his competitors.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Stanley Lombardi said:

The NFL world would be shocked by the vast difference between 'fastest man in the NFL' and 'fastest man on the planet.'

They shouldn’t be. The fastest NFL athletes have all run track at some point in their lives. To a man they’d tell you - besides Tyreek - they can’t run with Olympic sprinters. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freak-O said:

They don’t run the same speed the entire race. It takes them several seconds to reach their max speed. Hill would lose by more than 3.9 meters. 

Those numbers are the full race. Not a portion of it extrapolated.

Didn't DK Metcalf (whose 6 foot 4 and ran a 4.33 40) try to qualify for the Olympics and he lost to other (all of whom were considerably lower level than Lyles) track athletes by a moderate margin. Hill ran a 4.29 40 and is shorter at 5 foot 9, I really don't think he's gonna close the gap against athletes who train year round in the track technique and don't have the injury history. 

32 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Didn't DK Metcalf (whose 6 foot 4 and ran a 4.33 40) try to qualify for the Olympics and he lost to other (all of whom were considerably lower level than Lyles) track athletes by a moderate margin. Hill ran a 4.29 40 and is shorter at 5 foot 9, I really don't think he's gonna close the gap against athletes who train year round in the track technique and don't have the injury history. 

Yes

2020 Olympics: NFL star DK Metcalf runs 10.36 seconds for 100 meters, but fails to qualify for Tokyo Games | CNN

Edited by Just Jack
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

this is Usain Bolt’s world record performance in Berlin. Where he ran a 9.58. For reference, lanes 1 and 2 had identical times and ran 10.00 which is .42 slower. This appears to be more than 3.9 meters. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mrags said:

this is Usain Bolt’s world record performance in Berlin. Where he ran a 9.58. For reference, lanes 1 and 2 had identical times and ran 10.00 which is .42 slower. This appears to be more than 3.9 meters. 

Looks like at least twice 3.9 meters. 

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Those numbers are the full race. Not a portion of it extrapolated.

0.4 seconds if you’re travelling at a high speed is a greater distance than if you’re travelling at a low speed, therefore the average speed in the race is not what’s important, but the speed when they cross the finishing line. 

Come on dude, you of all people should know this kind of stuff. 🤪

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freak-O said:

Looks like at least twice 3.9 meters. 

Put into perspective that Bolt is 6’5” tall (almost 2m). And it Looks like he has a good 3 lengths on them. So Bolt had a lead of approximately 6+ meters. 

then add in the fact that Lyles has had multiple sub 10 second 100m times. Where as we don’t know Hills overall times, we only know his BEST time ever. Factoring best time, to best time, and Lyles would have a 6m+ lead. But factor in the fact that Hill isn’t anywhere near his fastest anymore, at 30 years old. I don’t think he would even be in the 10.6 range. 

well likely never now, but Lyles would smoke Hill 100 time out of 100. And it would never be close. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

This appears to be more than 3.9 meters. 

Thats why carpenters use measuring tape instead of eye-sight for computing distance. Apart from your gall in disputing math, the distance between 9.58 and 10.00 is greater than the distance between Hills time and Noah’s time (which is incredible by itself). That extra 2.0 x 10^-2 results in greater distance. If you look at your video, you can clearly see the 5 meter and 7 meter marks. Once again, not 10 meters - and this is with even greater time difference.

Saying ”I was wrong” is a lost skill by far too many.

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Somewhere, there is a middle school math teacher shaking her head.

Truly. It is sad. Pontificating height and stride length when there is pure math that tells the exact story. 

4 hours ago, Freak-O said:

the speed when they cross the finishing line. 

This is partially true (and partially nonsense) and it’s the reason why I could see a scenario where Hill defeats Noah in the 40 yard dash.

Noah is significantly slower in his first 40 meters than he is in his last 40 meters. With their average speed per 10m Hill would be only 1 yard behind Noah at the finish of the 40. But because Noah is slower in the first half, Hill could perhaps beat him.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is partially true (and partially nonsense) and it’s the reason why I could see a scenario where Hill defeats Noah in the 40 yard dash.

Noah is significantly slower in his first 40 meters than he is in his last 40 meters. With their average speed per 10m Hill would be only 1 yard behind Noah at the finish of the 40. But because Noah is slower in the first half, Hill could perhaps beat him.

So split the difference.  Have them run 70.  Or at least how close would it be at the 70 mark?  Although 100 is meters and 40 is yards...converting yards to meters or meters to yards....figuring the half way point......forget it I don't want to do the math.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Haha (+1) 1