Why Did Tribusky Go #2 Overall?

I don’t watch a lot of college football so this is actually a serious question.  Not talking 20/20 hindsight but why him over Mahones and Watson?  His arm looks average. Same with accuracy.  Some mobility but nothing special.  Was it just the Bears screwing the pooch?  If Bears didn’t take him would he have gone top 10?  First round?  Just curious.

Probably said/did all the right things during pre-draft interviews. He had a strong junior season and put up decent numbers as a Tar Heel. Definitely wasn't the strongest QB coming out in that draft but the Bears weren't great at drafting then and still aren't now.

I was surprised by the move because I honestly thought they were moving up for Watson because they thought maybe SF might take him? The whole trade and selection just seemed super strange that year. SF wasn't QB hungry, they had just traded for Jimmy G and he looked great the season before and they paid him so why trade all that draft capital to move one spot when there's a strong chance the team before you isn't looking for a QB unless you know something everyone else doesn't?

• Agree 1

If my memory serves me correctly, the Bears were not alone.  Most of the draftniks had him going top-5.  He was considered raw (because he hadn't played that much), but with a very high ceiling.  Here's a pre-draft article about it:

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-book-on-mitch-trubisky-scouting-polarizing-unc-qb-0ap3000000785960

It's too bad for Mitch that it hasn't really worked out in the NFL, but if it had, he wouldn't be with the Bills, he'd be the Bears' franchise QB, and Justin Fields and Caleb Williams would have ended up elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

More or less a classic case of having the physical and athletic bonafides with an above average football intelligence, but "at the end of the day" he isn't a coachable athlete.  

When under pressure in games, against great talent, he defaults to what he knows, and you get an ok quarterback.   There's no evolution in his game.  Probably if you compare high school tape to his Steelers work last year, you'd see a lot of similarities.  Same player.

Josh Allen is the opposite - he's an extremely coachable athlete, and that's been the catalyst for his NFL career.  He's applied coaching to the way he plays football and uses it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

There was a poster here who went on a six-month crusade for Trubisky leading up to the 2017 draft…I am pretty sure he’s no longer around, or, more likely, changed his name.

• Haha (+1) 2

He had a massive 2016 with UNC who was in the top 20 all year. Size and athleticism. He was a consensus top 5 pick and wouldn't have lasted if the Bears past. Mahomes and Watson didn't have the same pedigree coming out.

It happens....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, JaMarcus Russell, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Daniel Jones, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, RG3, Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, Akili Smith, and Tim Couch.  Here is a long list of the top 10 (and mostly top 5) QBs drafted high that you seriously ask what the heck were those teams thinking.

• Like (+1) 3

In 2018, he threw for 3,000+ yards in 14 games with a passer rating of 95.4 and a QBR of 71.  He's not entirely devoid of talent.

But I heard a scout once explain the poor hit rate with QBs.  According to him, no college QBs are truly NFL-ready.  So you have to guess who will improve their mental skills (schemes, pre-snap reads, leadership, etc.) as well as their physical skills. 

Part of this is psychology: Who's going to avoid the distractions that come with fame and money and do the work?  

It's all guesswork.  Educated guesswork, to be sure, but still fraught with uncertainty.   For whatever reason, Chicago seemed to expect more growth from Trubisky than he delivered.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I don’t watch a lot of college football so this is actually a serious question.  Not talking 20/20 hindsight but why him over Mahones and Watson?  His arm looks average. Same with accuracy.  Some mobility but nothing special.  Was it just the Bears screwing the pooch?  If Bears didn’t take him would he have gone top 10?  First round?  Just curious.

did you post this during his last Bills go round?  He’s the same guy…,

ahh…remember when “Trubisky could win 11 games with this roster”? Seems like only yesterday…

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

In 2018, he threw for 3,000+ yards in 14 games with a passer rating of 95.4 and a QBR of 71.  He's not entirely devoid of talent.

But I heard a scout once explain the poor hit rate with QBs.  According to him, no college QBs are truly NFL-ready.  So you have to guess who will improve their mental skills (schemes, pre-snap reads, leadership, etc.) as well as their physical skills. 

Part of this is psychology: Who's going to avoid the distractions that come with fame and money and do the work?  

It's all guesswork.  Educated guesswork, to be sure, but still fraught with uncertainty.   For whatever reason, Chicago seemed to expect more growth from Trubisky than he delivered.  

Trubisky is a good backup for the current Bills team.  If he were without his flaws, he'd be a starter somewhere else.  He's got a lot of NFL starting experience and has played well in spots.  He's got a live arm and some mobility.  He appears to be a team-first kind of guy who will support Allen and be a good influence in the QB room.  I believe that he could be a serviceable starter for the Bills if he got a full week of reps with the first team offense.  Will he be Josh Allen?  No.  Will he be a superstar QB, worthy of his draft status?  No (that ship has sailed).  Is he going to beat the Chiefs in the playoffs?  No.  Could he win a couple games as a starter, if the Bills had a semblance of a running game and played solid defense and special teams?  Yes. 

He wasn't very good in Pittsburgh the last couple of years, but nobody else the Steelers trotted out was any good either, and I think they may all be gone.  Maybe that "Duck" guy is still around?  I know they have Russell Wilson and Justin Fields, two guys who were not very good last year with the teams they were on.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, JaMarcus Russell, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Daniel Jones, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Blake Bortles, RG3, Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, Akili Smith, and Tim Couch.  Here is a long list of the top 10 (and mostly top 5) QBs drafted high that you seriously ask what the heck were those teams thinking.

They call the draft a crap shoot for a reason. True for every position in every round, but you need to get that QB right. That is increasingly the #1 rule in the NFL. 

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Don't leave out Heath Shuler, 3rd overall to the Redskins in '94.  To his credit, he served in Congress after his NFL career flamed out.  And that was back in the day when being a member of Congress was more or less honorable and worthy of respect.

• Haha (+1) 2

Measurables, potential, arm talent.  All that stuff plus decent numbers in college will get you drafted high.  Once in a very great while you hit the jackpot with someone who can really improve in the pros (see Allen, Josh).  Often you end up like Mitch.

If he ever has to play significant time for the Bills we are toast IMO.  They'd have to go heavy QB runs, he is just way too inconsistent with his passing accuracy and is very non-clutch.

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

He had a massive 2016 with UNC who was in the top 20 all year. Size and athleticism. He was a consensus top 5 pick and wouldn't have lasted if the Bears past. Mahomes and Watson didn't have the same pedigree coming out.

It happens....

Mahomes and Watson had much greater "pedigree".    I don't think that's what you actually meant because Mahomes was the son of a pro athlete and had put up huge numbers in college.   Watson was an absolute superstar in college.   Teams over-thought it with Trubisky.   He had a nice season but they thought there was A LOT more upside there than there was.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

RG3 suffered a bad knee injury when crunched by Haloti Ngata.  That was a big part of his demise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I hang my head in shame because of the players in bold. Especially Sam Bradford, I thought that guy was going to be amazing.

As far as Darnold goes, I had him third behind Mayfield and Allen. I thought 2018 was going to be a prolific year for QBs. I hang my head in shame that Allen was #2 overall on my list behind Baker Mayfield.