Bills @ Steelers - Preseason Game 2 - Sat 8/17 7PM

HappyDays

1 hour ago, eball said:

Don’t get me started…it’s irresponsible and borderline unethical for an actual MD to do this.

I think with an offense (and QB) like the Bills have, and an above average defense, they should *never* punt from beyond midfield or attempt a FG of longer than 40 yards (LOS at the 23) unless it is an end of half or end of game scenario.

I’m sure there are a few other limited exceptions, but if McD ran things that way I’d be pleased.

Depends on the situation like the score in the game or if its 4th and long or 4th and short. It also depends on the defense the Bills are facing. I wouldn't try what you are suggesting against the Jets. That defense gives the Bills offense trouble.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Don’t get me started…it’s irresponsible and borderline unethical for an actual MD to do this.

I think with an offense (and QB) like the Bills have, and an above average defense, they should *never* punt from beyond midfield or attempt a FG of longer than 40 yards (LOS at the 23) unless it is an end of half or end of game scenario.

I’m sure there are a few other limited exceptions, but if McD ran things that way I’d be pleased.

I get your point, but never is a strong word. You want to go for it on 4th and 10 from the 30 instead of kicking a 47-48 yard FG? The vast majority of models would say to kick in that situation. 

41 minutes ago, finn said:

I see the OP's point, but it implies that McD isn't going for it enough, and his being forced to because he has an incompetent kicker might be a good thing in some circumstances. But as he or someone else pointed out, the Bills are already top-five in going for it on fourth down. So gambling even more is likely not a good thing. Plus, you always want flexibility so you can respond to the circumstances. (E.g., Trubinsky is in there and falling flat.)

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure it is implying the former. It is implying the latter point (that going for it more might be a good thing in some circumstances) and it is fair to challenge that rationale. Again though, that wasn't what @Sierra Foothills initial point was. Had it been I would not have responded to him initially. 

I'm not gonna argue/hijjack @GunnerBill but my original point was part and parcel with my later point. It's all one.

Bad kicker forcing the Bills to go for it more often > passing the point of diminishing retuns = zero silver lining

Restated, there's zero true benefit to having an undependable kicker.

The last word can be yours.

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'm not gonna argue/hijjack @GunnerBill but my original point was part and parcel with my later point. It's all one.

Bad kicker forcing the Bills to go for it more often > passing the point of diminishing retuns = zero silver lining

Restated, there's zero true benefit to having an undependable kicker.

The last word can be yours.

I don't think the tweet was arguing that there was a true benefit. That is my point. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Maybe I take "silver lining" to have a different meaning than some others.

To me it means that ultimately there is an overall benefit.

Maybe to others it means that it's not as bad as it first appears... mitigation.

FWIW, I think you do. “Every dark cloud has a silver lining.” Meaning things are bad: I wanted a bright sunny day but instead I’m looking at a dark cloud. But even under this dark circumstance, not everything is bad - that silver lining is fairly pretty to look at, even if it’s not as good as a beautiful blue sky. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m guessing we will be shopping for a kicker at cut down time.  Bass can’t be making 2/3 of his kicks and missing the distance you really need to have in the bag, especially when that’s already cost you playoff games.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

I’m guessing we will be shopping for a kicker at cut down time.  Bass can’t be making 2/3 of his kicks and missing the distance you really need to have in the bag, especially when that’s already cost you playoff games.

I am actually surprised they haven't brought someone in for competition already. Kicking in OP can be quite challenging with how windy it can get in the stadium. Add in the rain and snow. It's a tough place to kick.

Fwiw, Bass gets off easy with this fanbase for missing that KC game tying FG, given we all just assumed KC would get the ball and let Butker win it as the clock hits zero anyway.

If our playoff defense wasn’t a perpetual dumpster fire, the calls to cut him would be much, much louder. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Fwiw, Bass gets off easy with this fanbase for missing that KC game tying FG, given we all just assumed KC would get the ball and let Butker win it as the clock hits zero anyway.

If our playoff defense wasn’t a perpetual dumpster fire, the calls to cut him would be much, much louder. 

My unpopular take on the KC game is that Josh blew that when he went for the EZ rather than just getting the first down. Needed a TD on that drive or to run more clock. That game was lost by the offense, as bad as the defense was they did just enough where they were in position to win.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The problem is, there are no sure-thing kickers just hanging around out of work.  Yes, Bass missed a huge kick and a few along the way. But he still has talent and if you cut him based on that, it could be trouble.  There are tons of examples.  Early last season i recall Ron Rivera getting pissed with Dustin Hopkins because he missed an extra point and a couple FGs.  They just cut him flat out.  The Browns picked him up and he did just fine,, and then signed him to an extension 3 years nearly $16m.  Meanwhile the Commanders are dying, their kicker replacements sucked.

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

My unpopular take on the KC game is that Josh blew that when he went for the EZ rather than just getting the first down. Needed a TD on that drive or to run more clock. That game was lost by the offense, as bad as the defense was they did just enough where they were in position to win.

I think many agree that he shouldn’t have taken that shot due to the result of the play-  Dawkins getting steamrolled into him causing a poor pass.  Including me.  I was hoping that we would’ve gone for the first and milked more clock and potentially scored a TD.  

I don’t agree that the loss was on the offense.  That’s not how these things work.  It’s rarely, if ever on one play or on one decision. Especially that game.  Results are based on a cumulative effort throughout 60 minutes of a football game.  The loss was on the D for allowing KC to do whatever they wanted (very easily) almost the entire game.  The loss is in the offense for not getting it done when they had the chances.  It’s not on Josh for his decision or Diggs for dropping a (would be) legendary pass.  It’s not on Bass for missing the kick nor is it on injuries (or McD) for allowing AJ Klein on the field.  

they all add up to the loss.  This pinpointing blame on one single play is your right.  It’s just not correct imo

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cash said:

I get your point, but never is a strong word. You want to go for it on 4th and 10 from the 30 instead of kicking a 47-48 yard FG? The vast majority of models would say to kick in that situation. 

That's why never has asterisks around it. There are exceptions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

The loss was on the D for allowing KC to do whatever they wanted (very easily) almost the entire game. 

correct and nothing further needs to be said

over the ENTIRE LAST 5 SEASONS the absolute worst NFL defense has managed to allow 6.2 yards/play

vs KC we allowed 7.7

• Agree 1

Found it interesting that when pressed about the good from the game, McD mentioned Bass’s 24 and 49 yard kicks in two separate pressers, as a highlight of the game. Those are fairly routine for a “good” kicker and shouldn’t merit a spotlight. I think McD is intentionally communicating to Bass through the media in an effort to raise his spirits. It was said by Beane that Bass didn’t have a fragile mind, the misses don’t affect him. Wonder if Brandon still feels that way…

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That's fine, but ppl have NO trouble nailing Bass.

Some people have no problem nailing Allen, Diggs, McD, Beane and injury.  That’s their prerogative.  Doesn’t mean it’s correct

52 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

correct and nothing further needs to be said

over the ENTIRE LAST 5 SEASONS the absolute worst NFL defense has managed to allow 6.2 yards/play

vs KC we allowed 7.7

And you’d be wrong.  It’s on more than that

Edited by NewEra

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Some people have no problem nailing Allen, Diggs, McD, Beane and injury.  That’s their prerogative.  Doesn’t mean it’s correct

And you’d be wrong.  It’s on more than that

The defense played 25% worse than the worst defense in the league 

How is it on more than that? 

Also, I remember reading that Bill Parcells didn’t care for kickers. If one was struggling, rather than the coddle approach he’d make sure his kicker saw his shadow on the ground before he kicked in game situations. Or he would just stand off to the side, deliberately in his eye line. Maybe that’s what Bass would respond to better, an ever looming threat from his HC. Probably too late for McD to reverse course though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I agree. And what’s lost in all of the Monday morning quarterbacking is that if you knew it, and I knew it, and everyone else in America knew it, then why the heck our we throwing the ball deep? You keep the ball. You bleed the clock. You get deep into the red zone. And you make damn sure that you don’t give the ball back to KC. Our coaching staff has learned absolutely nothing.