#2/3 QB

I prefer the approach the Rams have gone with where they drafted a QB (Stetson Bennett) and gave him EVERY rep in the preseason game. Give him a chance to get game reps and be ready to surprise to the upside if forced into the game. We all know our backup QBs aren't winning us a game against a team above .500. If we had drafted a Milton or had the depth the Ravens did at QB we could still contend. And the only resource we expend is a 3rd-5th rounder. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I know with our #3 going down with a neck injury, the Bills are on the hunt for a new QB in the room. 

Personally, I'm very dissatisfied with Trubisky, and think the focus should be on finding a better #2. 

What say thee?

Personally, I'd kick the tires on Tannehill. 

Flame away. 

If Tannehill was willing to accept a backup job and salary, he likely would be on a roster now.  

The problem is that he wants to start and/or make more than the typical backup QB.   If Allen or any top NFL QB gets injured, maybe it changes.  

To be honest, you’re not going to be find such better at QB2 than Trubisky at this point.  I like Tommy Devito and think NYG is cutting him.  But is he that much better than Mitch?

34 minutes ago, Berky1010 said:

I prefer the approach the Rams have gone with where they drafted a QB (Stetson Bennett) and gave him EVERY rep in the preseason game. Give him a chance to get game reps and be ready to surprise to the upside if forced into the game. We all know our backup QBs aren't winning us a game against a team above .500. If we had drafted a Milton or had the depth the Ravens did at QB we could still contend. And the only resource we expend is a 3rd-5th rounder. 

Does it really matter though?  Bennett threw a game winning TD pass against the bottom of the Dallas roster.  Take that out and he had a pretty lousy game.   Give him all the snaps in the world and he still likely won’t be a great QB

Also Joe Milton has played 1 preseason game against 2nd/3rd stringers that didn’t game plan against him.  How can you say Bills could contend with him a QB….SMH

Seem like a pretty reactionary take.

2 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

What about Bailey Zappe (New England)? With his recent quotes about being dissatisfied with his role in New England, he will probably be a cut. I think he may be a very good stash QB, he is relatively young and has some starting experience. Just a thought 🤔 

I generally would prefer a lottery ticket that isn't already spent.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Seems we have this conversation every year.  Putting any significant money behind an elite QB on their second contract is a poor allocation of resources.  Heck, we went with a worse backup last year in Kyle Allen. You'll accept Trubisky as the backup and there's nothing you can do about it.  As far as a 3rd QB, what's Chad Kelly doing?  I kid.  Kind of.

Kyle Allen had more upside than Mitch Trubisky.  (Who has none) Guys accuracy is brutal.  

As for Buechele, not sure how he even played at SMU which has a really good offensive team.  Guy was just afraid to throw the ball.  Guys get too afraid to make mistakes.  And just hold the ball.  Let it rip.  That’s why you play QB.  

Our roster construction at times is curious.  Not sure why we have Gilliam.  Didn’t bring in competition for Bass.  Martin is certainly a question mark.  

But you do get a sense of calmness and resolve from McDermott after games like Saturday’s where things looked awful in the 2nd half.  (Same as after the Eagles game last year) That he will get things fixed before the season starts.  And I think that is one of his best qualities as a head coach.  Keeping things stable focused and calm. 

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Kyle Allen had more upside than Mitch Trubisky.  (Who has none) Guys accuracy is brutal.  

As for Buechele, not sure how he even played at SMU which has a really good offensive team.  Guy was just afraid to throw the ball.  Guys get too afraid to make mistakes.  And just hold the ball.  Let it rip.  That’s why you play QB.  

Our roster construction at times is curious.  Not sure why we have Gilliam.  Didn’t bring in competition for Bass.  Martin is certainly a question mark.  

But you do get a sense of calmness and resolve from McDermott after games like Saturday’s where things looked awful in the 2nd half.  (Same as after the Eagles game last year) That he will get things fixed before the season starts.  And I think that is one of his best qualities as a head coach.  Keeping things stable focused and calm. 

Trubisky is a better QB than Kyle Allen.  More mobile.  Stronger arm.  Career completion percentage is about the same.   He's a perfectly suitable backup for an elite QB.  Key word.  Backup.

I thought for sure it would be Barkley again.   I am shocked that I didn't see the name Fitz at all!  Khalil Shakir could be an emergency qb.  

Edited by BillsWest

My issue with Beane signing Trubisky is he proved he sucked last year in Pittsburgh.  No matter what they thought they saw in practice a couple years ago, he proved he can't carry a team in real games.  He sucked in Chicago and he sucked in Pittsburgh.  

Justin Field would have been a better guy to bring in.  They could have had him for $500K less than Trubisky and it would have only cost a 5th rounder in 2025. 

In the end it won't matter much if Allen misses more than a couple games.

16 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I know with our #3 going down with a neck injury, the Bills are on the hunt for a new QB in the room. 

Personally, I'm very dissatisfied with Trubisky, and think the focus should be on finding a better #2. 

What say thee?

Personally, I'd kick the tires on Tannehill. 

Flame away. 

Understand you are dissatisfied but Tribusky is the two and it is not going to change.  He may not be the best backup but he is probably capable of more than you realize.  He has a better than 50% win loss percentage and was the starting qb on two playoff teams for the bears.