Extra Point show hosts?

Matt_In_NH

I know Joe is off to focus on the morning but is Sal off the show now too?  I know people don't like Sal for his homer-ish tendencies but the current clowns are unlistenable.  I think it is some high school kids or something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I know Joe is off to focus on the morning but is Sal off the show now too?  I know people don't like Sal for his homer-ish tendencies but the current clowns are unlistenable.  I think it is some high school kids or something.

Pretty sure Sal only does a few shows a week during football season.  You're right, they arent very good.   Its getting to the point where if its not Sal on WGR there is no point to listen.   The Morning Show without Howard is bad, the hockey show is unlistenable, and the afternoon show is what its been for awhile now, just ok. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Pretty sure Sal only does a few shows a week during football season.  You're right, they arent very good.   Its getting to the point where if its not Sal on WGR there is no point to listen.   The Morning Show without Howard is bad, the hockey show is unlistenable, and the afternoon show is what its been for awhile now, just ok. 

Sal was the main host with Joe until recently. I was thinking maybe someting changed for training camp but now after they are back from SJF it is still the kids......

9 minutes ago, gomper said:

They are brutal. I seriously wonder if their boss actually listens to them. If he does, and thinks this is acceptable, well, that explains a lot why the station is so bad

I don't know how anyone advertises on that station anymore.  The content is so bad, no one listens anymore.

• Agree 1

I've always been a huge fan of radio... the theatre of the mind. I drive a lot, so I listen to a lot of radio, and a lot of types of radio. 

WGR misses Howard. He was a true pro, and good at what he did. 

To be great on the radio takes a truly rare and special skill. You have to be interesting, fluent, connect with the audience, have a certain "persona" if you will that is genuine and people gravitate to for whatever reason. 

And have a voice for it. Elocution matters when it's your only tool to communicate with the audience. This is sorely missing from so many shows nowadays. 

As a music fan I remember when it dawned on me years ago the value of a great DJ on the radio. They all play from the same library of music on a given station, and they don't talk a whole lot compared to talk radio. But there is absolutely a real difference when a truly great DJ is on the air. The flow of the songs, the little bits in between... the voice, the persona... the little details matter. And that's just music stations. 

I think back to my days decades ago delivering pizzas at night, driving through the farm fields and hills of Northern NY listening to Art Bell talk about ghosts, UFOs and EVPs as I'm cruising by myself down some country road on a dark September night and I still get chills. Radio when done well is awesome. 

All that to say, WGR is often not radio done well. It's so bad, especially morning and midday. 

The morning show is young guys and Jeremy desperately talking over each other for airtime, interrupting each other constantly. It's annoying. Maybe I'm just old and cranky but listening to that spikes my blood pressure. 

I genuinely feel for the hockey show guys. I mean, what is there to even do at this time of the year? It's God awful radio. 

Afternoon guys are ok at times, especially once the season starts. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 3

Well said. I agree with all of this. On GR, however, if we're referring to S&B as "ok", the bar is set incredibly low. After all these years, Bulldog still contributes next to nothing. Sirius is soooo worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/12/2024 at 1:18 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Pretty much describes the station. I don't care for the whole batch it's been ages since I actually listened to a program on WGR unless a news worthy event has taken p!ace. Some of their staff is pathetically young.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The Buff State wannabees are terrible, and it doesn’t have to be Bills talk 24x7, but why they have an hour of Sabres talk during August, is beyond me. 

I may be in the minority here saying this, but I can't listen to Sabres talk at any point in the year. I pull for the Sabres but that's about it. Can't stand listening to hockey talk. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Radar said:

Pretty much describes the station. I don't care for the whole batch it's been ages since I actually listened to a program on WGR unless a news worthy event has taken p!ace. Some of their staff is pathetically young.

With how fast podcasts turn around these days there is no real reason to listen to WGR.  If I mow after games early in the season Ill listen to the post game, but otherwise my interest in the station is down to almost zero.   

• Like (+1) 1