Joe Marino of Locked On’s ‘All-22’ film review…

Discusses:

Reasons for the pluses & minuses of OL play…

Also breakdown of Ray Davis, James Cook and he watched every snap of Keon’s…some “teachable moments”.

He really liked the play Shakir, Sedrick Van Pran Granger & Tylan Grable, also got into the Morris/Zach Davidson competition.

Liked Dewayne Carter’s play, wonders if he can do enough so they can roster 4 DT’s & 6 DE’s.

Liked Javon Solomon’s run defense, said Austin Johnson &  Kingsley Jonathan were also pluses.

Said Daequan Hardy made an amazing play in the red zone against the run, also strong in pass D.

Dorian Williams, KJ Hamler and MVS’ play and some other backups were also briefly analyzed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Marino has an infatuation with Kingsley Jonathan. Wonder if he got paid to consistently paint him as a plus.

Based on Marino's history, I think he's just over-enthusiastic about linemen of all types.

• Like (+1) 1

The oline got pushed all over the place Cook and Davis where literally staring at the defensive tackles right after the ball was snapped every play. 
This was one of those games where Kromer will use it at motivation to explain keep doing this and you’ll be selling insurance in two years. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Kingsley Jonathan was a mess.  Sad if we don't have anyone better on the roster.

Yea I havd been on the intrigued side of Kinglsey Jonathan for the last 2 years. Because he has talent without the knowledge of how to play football. But he is no better now than he was 2 years ago. And he was bad on Saturday. 

We do have 5 better players on the roster at that spot though. Jonathan is not battling the rest of the Ends now. He is battling a 4th tight end, a 6th linebacker, a 5th safety etc... for one of the final roster spots.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I havd been on the intrigued side of Kinglsey Jonathan for the last 2 years. Because he has talent without the knowledge of how to play football. But he is no better now than he was 2 years ago. And he was bad on Saturday. 

We do have 5 better players on the roster at that spot though. Jonathan is not battling the rest of the Ends now. He is battling a 4th tight end, a 6th linebacker, a 5th safety etc... for one of the final roster spots.

Saw the same thing.  He was getting blown off the line multiple times.  

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

Marino has an infatuation with Kingsley Jonathan. Wonder if he got paid to consistently paint him as a plus.

Do you have evidence that disagrees with him after analyzing his play? What did you see from Kingsley Jonathan?

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Kingsley Jonathan was a mess.  Sad if we don't have anyone better on the roster.

He has always been a roster bubble guy and has spent plenty of time on the practice squad. Nobody sees him as a starter or even 2nd string. He is a guy you bring in to rotate when you have a bunch of injuries.

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I posted this in the other preseason thread too, but here's video analysis he did for his all-22 review:

Offense:

Defense:

Thanks for posting this @HappyDays

One thing I noticed is that the Oline was completely dominated and pushed back.  The Bears DL was living in our backfield.

Also Cook had no holes to run through.

I think McDermott shut down Josh passing for these reasons.

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Tremaine Edmunds was not a lineman and he was same way about him

Maybe. At the same time, no true film gurus out there were down on Edmunds. There was nothing to complain about besides the lack of splash plays. On film, the guy was solid.

2 hours ago, Antonio said:

How did Gable Steveson do? I did not finish watching the game. 

Does he have a future in football?

Steveson had one highlight, a QB hurry on his first play.  Otherwise he was manhandled, often getting ridden 5-10 yards downfield.  I wouldn't give up on him just yet though.  Good PS candidate.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought he showed some signs of life last year when pressed in to service due to injury.  But he couldn't do anything in a preseason game against backups.  Bloody awful.

4 hours ago, Brand J said:

What I appreciate about Joe Marino and even Cover 1 too is that these guys are willing to show their faces on camera and put their name behind their opinions too. If the keyboard warriors on this message board did the same thing this message board would have zero issues.

• Like (+1) 1