Bettors currently (Aug 11, 2024) rank Bills 7th overall (4th in the AFC)

Chaos

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

DraftKings has Jets +180, Bills +180, Dolphins +200 to win the division. 

I could see the Jets winning the east if Rogers plays the entire season and plays well, until the Dolphins can find an answer for Allen and also beat playoff teams and win games on the road in November and December I won’t take them as a serious threat.

Just now, julian said:

I could see the Jets winning the east if Rogers plays the entire season and plays well, until the Dolphins can find an answer for Allen and also beat playoff teams and win games on the road in November and December I won’t take them as a serious threat.

Then the play would be to put an equal amount on the Jets and Bills and lock in a 40% return regardless of who wins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Then the play would be to put an equal amount on the Jets and Bills and lock in a 40% return regardless of who wins.

lol I’ll take your word for it, gambling is not my world, I just know Miami is a soft football team and you know that as well.

They’re great against mediocre/bad teams in early season good/great conditions but when the real season starts in November they’re nowhere to be found… it’s just who they are.

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

The way I understand betting is that a $100 bet on a result with +180 odds returns $180 if you win. If you put $100 on both the Jets and Bills, then you’d lose $20 if one of them wins the division. (Two $100 bets invested and one $180 in winnings.) Or you’d lose all $200 if the Phins or Pats wins it. 

Edited by BarleyNY

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The way I understand betting is that a $100 bet on a result with +180 odds returns $180 if you win. If you put $100 on both the Jets and Bills, then you’d lose $20 if one of them wins the division. (Two $100 bets invested and one $180 in winnings.) Or you’d lose all $200 if the Phins or Pats wins it. 

Sort of. For the Bills, you get back $280. Your original $100 + that x1.80 = $280.

To make this simpler, if the Bills were +$100 you obviously get back $200 if the Bills win the AFC-E.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Your calculations are wrong. If you bet $100 on each and one wins, you lose $100 and you win $180. You come out $80 ahead.

You don't lose the initial bet money on the team that won.

Edited by Herc11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

If you somehow knew that the Patriots and Dolphins had zero chance of winning the division, you would bet say $100 on the Jets and $100 on the Bills.  You would lose one of those bets and win the other.  The winning bet would return your $100 and pay $180 in winnings.  Your $200 worth of wagers would return $280.

4 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Sort of. For the Bills, you get back $280. Your original $100 + that x1.80 = $280.

To make this simpler, if the Bills were +$100 you obviously get back $200 if the Bills win the AFC-E.

3 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Your calculations are wrong. If you bet $100 on each and one wins, you lose $100 and you win $180. You come out $80 ahead.

You don't lose the initial bet money on the team that won.

That makes more sense. Thank you both. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2024/08/11/nfl-power-rankings-chiefs-49ers-2024-super-bowl-odds/74745147007/

Surprised, the Bills are ranked meaninfully behind the Ravens.  Bengals, Bills, Texans are all about the same in the rankings. +1500 on the Bills seems like a worthwhile bet too me. 

The needle hasn't moved.  The Bills rankings have remained the same over the off season

Seems reasonable but keep in mind the odds are not based on what they think will actually happen necessarily but how they want to get the right mix of betting money the public.

So odds reflect how they think the public feels which may not be exactly the same as true scientific odds to actually win.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's how it works.

5 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Seems reasonable but keep in mind the odds are not based on what they think will actually happen necessarily but how they want to get the right mix of betting money the public.

So odds reflect how they think the public feels which may not be exactly the same as true scientific odds to actually win.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's how it works.

Yes, but they want to take advantage of public sentiment if they think it might be off. Ultimately, it does come down to who they think will win or lose. And they are wrong a lot, it's just that everyone is wrong a lot, so they just have to be right a little more than the general public and assign their odds accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Yes, but they want to take advantage of public sentiment if they think it might be off. Ultimately, it does come down to who they think will win or lose. And they are wrong a lot, it's just that everyone is wrong a lot, so they just have to be right a little more than the general public and assign their odds accordingly.

I was trying to say they want to take advantage of public sentiment.

But, with the little I know of betting, I'm surprised at how often the spreads are right. I think Vegas knows a hell of a lot more than the typical sports fan who thinks he's informed.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, julian said:

Coaching is the only thing holding the Jets back (besides Rodgers health)

• Like (+1) 1