Dynamic Kickoff Strategy?

Chaos

So... does the NFL want more kick returns and fewer touchbacks with these new rules?

I thought they wanted to minimize returns as much as possible for safety reasons since both teams are running full speed into each other.  

9 minutes ago, Capco said:

So... does the NFL want more kick returns and fewer touchbacks with these new rules?

I thought they wanted to minimize returns as much as possible for safety reasons since both teams are running full speed into each other.  

Yes NFL desires more returns with the new rules.  Because players line up closer to each other the new return is expected to be safer (less high speed collisions) than the previous ones.  So now returns are good again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Put 3 returners back there, spread them out, then all 3 fake catching the ball and running up field.     Should open up some lanes.   Maybe sprlnkle in a fake lateral here and there to keep them on their toes.

50 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Put 3 returners back there, spread them out, then all 3 fake catching the ball and running up field.     Should open up some lanes.   Maybe sprlnkle in a fake lateral here and there to keep them on their toes.

You can only have 2 returners in the formation.  Since nobody moves until the ball is caught not sure what fake catching will add as players can literally watch the ball with no issue.  I do like the idea of a 3rd "returner" that looks like a blocker and sweeps around.  There is for sure gonna be some fun wrinkles.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The cross-field lateral or a series of rugby-type laterals has the potential to be really effective in this play, I think.

The runner goes right, blockers on the far left let their men through and fall back, then the runner throws it to them before getting hit. Big boom or bust potential obviously, but I think the opposing team has less time to react to it as opposed to the previous set up when they started farther back.

Homerun Throwback deja vu.

Just now, Trev said:

Game has changed just too much. It’s hardly recognizable anymore.  Sad. 

It changed when kickers could boot it out of the end zone almost every play.  So they moved it back from the 40 to the 35.  Then the 35 to the 30.  Then back up to the 35 to reduce returning again.  

They banned wedges, because that is where they probably identified that massive collisions were occurring on every returned kick.  

The purpose is safety, and to create a football play that is more entertaining than a touchback - but less likely to result in injuries.  

9 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

It changed when kickers could boot it out of the end zone almost every play.  So they moved it back from the 40 to the 35.  Then the 35 to the 30.  Then back up to the 35 to reduce returning again.  

They banned wedges, because that is where they probably identified that massive collisions were occurring on every returned kick.  

The purpose is safety, and to create a football play that is more entertaining than a touchback - but less likely to result in injuries.  

I’m aware of why they’re changing. It is changing the game too much. I watched a game from the 90s and it’s night and day different, today we are slower and hitting less. We’ve moved toward a Canadian football model. Injuries are at an all time high, safety is not the purpose, as we see annually, it gets worse. This is a physical sport for physical people, we can’t protect everyone. Stop changing the game or change the name. 

17 minutes ago, Trev said:

I’m aware of why they’re changing. It is changing the game too much. I watched a game from the 90s and it’s night and day different, today we are slower and hitting less. We’ve moved toward a Canadian football model. Injuries are at an all time high, safety is not the purpose, as we see annually, it gets worse. This is a physical sport for physical people, we can’t protect everyone. Stop changing the game or change the name. 

I think they're looking at removing hits from the game that result in head injuries and blindside hits that can result in long-term pain and suffering.  

I have a lot more issues with... policing bad hits (do you eject more players?, the fine's for some of these are egregious for some, soft for others, etc.), and officiating things like roughing the passer and late hits on slides.  Kickoffs on the other hand sucked in the 90s, they sucked in the 00s, they continued to suck, and honestly this new rule change might be just what they need to change it up - but i'm still mostly expecting it to suck.