Preseason week 1 around the NFL

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You can see Trey Lance has some talent wonder why the 49ers just threw him away like he was yesterdays news must have been a lockerroom issue 

I still wonder why they drafted him. He was never a fit for their offense. They moved him on because Purdy runs the plays Kyle designs. That is what Kyle wants. He does not want freelancing.

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh but you don’t throw away a guy who you gave up 3 number 1 picks for after 2 years. And besides is Purdy really a guy you want throwing the ball 30 plus times a game? 

actually the better front office people admit mistakes early and move on so they don't fall further behind.  The league is filled with front offices who hung onto players way too long at the detriment of the organization because of the cost it took to get them.

This is why the better front offices are on the aggressive side, if you see a talent in the draft you want...you go get that player and if you have a player that is someone's pet cat and they cost a lot in resources to acquire but it is obvious they can't play you move on asap.

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The Bills looked pretty good on defense considering the guys who didn't play.

Did you watch the chiefs? They had one drive with their starters and got stopped on 3rd and 2 and kicked a field goal.   That is essentially what the bills did on their second drive.

I am sorry did you say the chiefs were clean and disciplined?  they were awful on kickoffs and got pushed up and down the field on defense.

The bills second unit played the bears starting offense and gave up 6 points in the first half.  I stand by what I said.  The fact that the chiefs got an important wr injured was not good for them either.

He will be on the street free to sign very soon.  I don't think he ever starts for a team again.  I was on board with Buffalo trading a conditional 7th rounder for him last summer just in case he was talented enough to be a starter and you could then flip him for a 2 or something....Dallas gave up a fourth and he will probably be inactive all season and walk at the end of the year.

Its a good thing I am not a GM.

Lance literally hasn’t played in two years ill give the guy some slack 

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

all of his throws were really high.  He looks like he has no touch.  Its like he is better suited as a gadget player or something.

you are right though he hasn't played in a while.  To be fair also he didn't play long with the starting offensive line but the rams also looked to be standing still on defense all night.  I think the rams care less about the preseason almost as much as Dungy's colts did.

7 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

actually the better front office people admit mistakes early and move on so they don't fall further behind.  The league is filled with front offices who hung onto players way too long at the detriment of the organization because of the cost it took to get them.

This is why the better front offices are on the aggressive side, if you see a talent in the draft you want...you go get that player and if you have a player that is someone's pet cat and they cost a lot in resources to acquire but it is obvious they can't play you move on asap.

I disagree strongly with this Lance had season ending surgery in 2022 in September and they dumped him before the start of the 2023 season even started. 
This is lockerroom related. 

15 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

More than that.  Lance hasn't played a full season of football since 2019, his only full season since high school.   

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

More than that.  Lance hasn't played a full season of football since 2019, his only full season since high school.   

He has struggled through the whole camp though.  Dallas was set to make him the backup and now they are in a weird spot where they are going to have to probably use a roster spot for the 3rd qb.  especially since Dak has had an ankle issue twice already this summer.

57 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

He has struggled through the whole camp though.  Dallas was set to make him the backup and now they are in a weird spot where they are going to have to probably use a roster spot for the 3rd qb.  especially since Dak has had an ankle issue twice already this summer.

I wasn't trying to make excuses for Lance; simply pointing out that there is really no basis for anyone to conclude that this guy has what it takes to be a good NFL QB.  Lance was an extraordinarily dumb draft pick by the normally astute 49ers. 

16 hours ago, SCBills said:

Maybe if someone would make a preseason hype song for us, we wouldn’t have laid an egg against the Bears. 

I honestly can't tell if he's trying to be that bad, or if he's actually that bad AND oblivious to it.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I still wonder why they drafted him. He was never a fit for their offense. They moved him on because Purdy runs the plays Kyle designs. That is what Kyle wants. He does not want freelancing.

Maybe he was a little bit mesmerized by Allen’s 6’5 250lb performance the previous season when he did what ever he wanted against his 49er defense. I’m guessing plenty of opponents leave games after watching Allen in person thinking I want one of those guys.

The problem is there’s only ever been one lol.

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I disagree strongly with this Lance had season ending surgery in 2022 in September and they dumped him before the start of the 2023 season even started. 
This is lockerroom related. 

QB competitions are never particularly good for a locker room.  Purdy was playing really well, and to me had earned the starting job.  You bring in darnold to compete to back-up because purdy is so cheap, and you can move either lance or darnold depending on what teams are looking for.  

Lance hasn't played a game since getting hurt week 2 2022.  Week 1 his stats stunk but if i remember correctly there were bears players gliding through puddles after the win.  Not likely a ton of positive film comes out from that type of game.  

Same time - if you can't beat out cooper rush, i'm not sure where that leaves you.  He'll get a job next year but i can't imagine its for much money/term, and is likely a flier for a team with someone old/washed, moreso than a team looking for a steady hand should their guy get hurt.  

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Yeh but you don’t throw away a guy who you gave up 3 number 1 picks for after 2 years. And besides is Purdy really a guy you want throwing the ball 30 plus times a game? 

Purdy has led the 49ers to the NFC championship game twice, nearly beat the best QB in the league in the Super Bowl in his second year. He has a 47 to 14 Total TD to turnover ratio and has completed 68.7% of his passes. He's good and the rest of the league flat out missed on him in the draft.

I swear Purdy could walk on water and people would just say "well he can't swim can he?"

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Shanny wanted his own unicorn athlete that the position. Lance is very talented, but he hasnt been able to turn that into production. Sometimes you take a big swing and miss 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Shanny wanted his own unicorn athlete that the position. Lance is very talented, but he hasnt been able to turn that into production. Sometimes you take a big swing and miss 

If that is true it is a horrible lack of self awarenss from Shanny. That isn't how he runs his offense. 

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Purdy has led the 49ers to the NFC championship game twice, nearly beat the best QB in the league in the Super Bowl in his second year. He has a 47 to 14 Total TD to turnover ratio and has completed 68.7% of his passes. He's good and the rest of the league flat out missed on him in the draft.

I swear Purdy could walk on water and people would just say "well he can't swim can he?"

Is it him or is it Ayuk, Samuel, Kittle, Mccaffery? 

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

It’s both. Purdy is very good. You don’t get those stats, regardless of talent around you, if you can’t play at this level. 

This may shock some, but just because someone is an NFL coach doesn’t mean they’re a great teacher of the position they coach. In many instances a player with lots of talent ends up with an NFL coach who, for whatever reason, doesn’t get the most out of the player. Other times guy with maybe less raw skills ends up with a coach who it really clicks with. Just the way it goes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

It’s both. Purdy is very good. You don’t get those stats, regardless of talent around you, if you can’t play at this level. 

I would disagree that he’s very good he can play in the league but he’s not one of the top ten qbs in football. 

• Like (+1) 1