Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

Just realize this football game wasn't for us fans and it was for the coaches only.  It was only about evaluation of players for them.  The only thing you can take away from this is that the starters (as many as were in) are the only ones we will see for the regular season.  The second half players will for the most part not see action.  That along with not game planning, we know nothing about the team.  Also don't crown Caleb Williams a star off of this game either.  Way too early

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bad day: Trubisky. I don’t understand how that guy can be on an NFL roster.

I agree Trubisky sucks but he's on the roster because Josh wants him on the roster.

11 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

if you look close at the 2.5 second mark his jersey is being pulled.  I mean it doesn't matter because the throw is so bad but there was definitely too much contact.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's not really a good example of Coleman having an issue with separation. He actually does manage to get leverage and create a window, albeit a tight window. A better throw and he would have had a chance. Their feet got tangled up so maybe it wouldn't have mattered.

Anyways there's too much analysis over a single rep. That's Jaylon Johnson, one of the elite CBs. There is no shame at all in Coleman not getting yards of separation in the tightest area of the field against an elite CB in his first ever live action. Clown Football is an appropriate name for that account.

What no one has mentioned in any topic about this play is that the cornerback lines up with inside leverage and perfect depth.

Coleman has to cross his face in order to run his pattern and nearly succeeds but there's inevitable contact including some clutching and their feet getting tangled... then Trubisky locates the ball poorly.

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Bad - The worse I've seen the Bills look in a pre season game, our depth looked awful 

You either haven't followed this team for very long or the PTSD has caused you to repress certain memories.

Moreover every NFL team has preseason games where they look like they don't belong in the league... it's the nature of the NFL preseason.

Many of these games are unwatchable poop shows.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

What no one has mentioned in any topic about this play is that the cornerback lines up with inside leverage and perfect depth.

I hadn't used those exact words but I have said twice that except the little jersey tug right at the start that is just elite coverage by a top DB. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You either haven't followed this team for very long or the PTSD has caused you to repress certain memories.

Moreover every NFL team has preseason games where they look like they don't belong in the league... it's the nature of the NFL preseason.

Our 2s and 3s have never looked that bad in the McDermott era IMO. In fact we have often been the victors in those scenarios. Where the 1s v 1s it has been a vanilla nothing burger and then the Bills 2s and 3s have smashed up the opposition 2s and 3s. What you are seeing now is what a year of cap constriction does to the back end of a roster. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's a little bit of a stretch to frame Morse's release like that. They didn't make changes just for the sake of making changes. His contract was coming up, he's 32 years old and showing decline, and he was due a hefty amount at a time when the Bills were trying to reload and sign impact players at other, more needy positions. He was just an average player that they knew they shouldn't have much trouble replacing. His strength was pass blocking and the Bills' pass locking looked fine today. Morse wasn't a great run blocker. I think it's a wash.

Morse was vulnerable to bull rush since he arrived really, but was a plus in all other areas. The problem here is moving McGovern to C seems to have ruined the continuity on that side of the line. Brown and Torrence didn't fare a ton better. The one really outstanding play from the starting line was Dawkins pulling and leading the Samuel bubble screen. But I'd be surprised if they keep force feeding McG at C, because he doesn't look like he belongs there and now you're downgrading two positions right where you need to block Chris Jones, Quinnen Williams, et al.

I liked Shakir, Samuel and Allen early on. Also Davis in the pass game because it's impossible to know how he is in the run game with that kind of blocking. Ras al'Ghul with a nice drive-stopping 1-on-1 tackle.

Kingsley Jonathan I thought was particularly awful with execution and mental mistakes.

The Bills coaches had nobody ready to play. That was embarrassing and had nothing to do with game planning.

Cam Lewis continued his role of King Midas in reverse.

Austin Johnson made one play but more often he was getting blown out opening a huge hole for a RB.

None of the safeties showed anything.

The amount of quit in the 4th quarter from guys playing for their career was gross.

It was a terrible performance and I don't know if i even want to go back rewatch the line play on this train wreck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I agree Trubisky sucks but he's on the roster because Josh wants him on the roster.

Coleman has to cross his face in order to run his pattern and nearly succeeds but there's inevitable contact including some clutching and their feet getting tangled... then Trubisky locates the ball poorly.

I agree , and majority og guys playing in 2nd half won't make the team, I guess under McD, this was 1 of , if not the worse they looked. No cause for concern,  just an observation 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

if you look close at the 2.5 second mark his jersey is being pulled.  I mean it doesn't matter because the throw is so bad but there was definitely too much contact.

The arm is around the waist the entire route like it's ballroom dance. For the amount of ticky-tack off-the-ball stuff called against the Bills (like the late PI called before the ball was thrown) this is egregious to allow right at the play. No wonder they call it Clown Football if they can't see that in the replay and simply blame Coleman for allowing himself to get fouled.

• Like (+1) 2

They were down 27-0 against the Steelers after three quarters in the second preseason game (last year), both sides of the line were blown up, offense was sluggish, defense was ran through, etc. 

Preseason doesn’t reveal much, just stay healthy, move onto the real games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

They were down 27-0 against the Steelers after three quarters in the second preseason game (last year), both sides of the line were blown up, offense was sluggish, defense was ran through, etc. 

Preseason doesn’t reveal much, just stay healthy, move onto the real games.

This is the last time I say this, but we started out the year .500 and fired our OC midseason. 

44 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Morse was vulnerable to bull rush since he arrived really, but was a plus in all other areas. The problem here is moving McGovern to C seems to have ruined the continuity on that side of the line. Brown and Torrence didn't fare a ton better. The one really outstanding play from the starting line was Dawkins pulling and leading the Samuel bubble screen. But I'd be surprised if they keep force feeding McG at C, because he doesn't look like he belongs there and now you're downgrading two positions right where you need to block Chris Jones, Quinnen Williams, et al.

I liked Shakir, Samuel and Allen early on. Also Davis in the pass game because it's impossible to know how he is in the run game with that kind of blocking. Ras al'Ghul with a nice drive-stopping 1-on-1 tackle.

Kingsley Jonathan I thought was particularly awful with execution and mental mistakes.

The Bills coaches had nobody ready to play. That was embarrassing and had nothing to do with game planning.

Cam Lewis continued his role of King Midas in reverse.

Austin Johnson made one play but more often he was getting blown out opening a huge hole for a RB.

None of the safeties showed anything.

The amount of quit in the 4th quarter from guys playing for their career was gross.

It was a terrible performance and I don't know if i even want to go back rewatch the line play on this train wreck.

Good take on the game.  The second half was an awful performance.  Did our 3rd string guys even play college football?  The drop off was shocking and very disappointing to watch.

Jonathan had two penalties and no burst.  He has a low ceiling and is easily blocked.  I see no reason for him to even make the practice squad.  Jones Von and Milano did not play.  And Oliver went out after one play.  The strength of the defense is our LB's.  Bernard Milano and Williams are all playmakers.  Douglas Benford Elam and Johnson are strong at corner.  The problem is the pass rush.  There was none yesterday.  And hopefully they find some.  

I think the offense will be dynamic.  Samuel and Shakir will be excellent.  And hopefully they get Coleman a package that he excells at and gets better as the season goes along.  Did Kincaid play yesterday?  I hope we are throwing to him up the field more this year.  The O line could be a concern.  Is Van Road Grader ready to start?  He was the SEC lineman of the year in 2023.  Not sure why he was a 5th round pick.  Why do the Bills think David Edwards is starting material?  He has never been a real good player.  

Hopefully things get better over the next few weeks.  Josh will be fine.  And so will our weapons.  The issue is the big uglies on both lines.  Need some guys to step up and at least be good.  Don't have to be great.  But if you want to be a super bowl contender, your starters all need to be good.  And a lot of guys on both lines (especially on the D line for awhile) have not been good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

But I'd be surprised if they keep force feeding McG at C, because he doesn't look like he belongs there and now you're downgrading two positions right where you need to block Chris Jones, Quinnen Williams, et al.

I won't be surprised if they continue the McGovern experiment.  Its important to the Bill's head coach that he be thought of as clever and innovative. 

• Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is the last time I say this, but we started out the year .500 and fired our OC midseason. 

And they finished the season as Division champs and had the SB champs on the ropes with a depleted defense in the playoffs. 

They “started” the season 3-1 followed by a slide with critical injuries on defense.

Right?

Edited by KellyToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

And they finished the season as Division champs and had the SB champs on the ropes with a depleted defense in the playoffs. 

They “started” the season 3-1 followed by a slide with critical injuries on defense.

Right?

I wouldn’t call the first half of the season successful, by any means.

Playing for your playoff lives by week 11 is not good for a team with SB aspirations. 

You could easily argue the Steelers game was a harbinger of things to come, which is why we were a .500 football for the first half of the season, had to fire our OC midseason, and couldn’t afford to lose a single game on our way to clinch the division/playoffs week 18.

14 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Bad - The worse I've seen the Bills look in a pre season game, our depth looked awful 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Our 2s and 3s have never looked that bad in the McDermott era IMO. In fact we have often been the victors in those scenarios. Where the 1s v 1s it has been a vanilla nothing burger and then the Bills 2s and 3s have smashed up the opposition 2s and 3s. What you are seeing now is what a year of cap constriction does to the back end of a roster. 

The first quote I consider inaccurate. As a longtime Bills fan I can't even count the number of ineptly-played, one-sided preseason losses the Bills have entertained us with.

The second quote (bolded) is a fair statement.

To reiterate, most NFL preseason games are bad and a high percentage of them are epically bad... unwatchable even.

You don't even have to go back one year (vs Steelers) to find a poop show which rivals yesterday. How about the Panthers preseason game in 2022?

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I wouldn’t call the first half of the season successful, by any means.

Playing for your playoff lives by week 11 is not good for a team with SB aspirations. 

You could easily argue the Steelers game was a harbinger of things to come, which is why we were a .500 football for the first half of the season, had to fire our OC midseason, and couldn’t afford to lose a single game on our way to clinch the division/playoffs week 18.

I don’t think so (Steelers game being an indicator of things to come).

O Line and D Line looked bad in that game, the team looked disjointed, terrible.

Fast forward to the season, both were polar opposites (with a healthy Daquan Jones and Matt Milano). Also lost White on the boundary.

The mid season slide started with the mounting injuries. Guys like Dodson had to find their way, Poyer moved more into the box, etc. 

58 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's just a preseason game and the 1st one to boot.  Still was pretty bad.  Penalties led the bad along with the trenches.

Let's see how next week goes.

Those are the things that do matter and will carry over if not fixed.  The penalties were ridiculous and we've seen this in the past with McDermott teams.  For a coach that cares so much about penalties, they need to clean that up fast.  The trenches matter. It's all physicality.  Getting dominated on both sides of the ball in the trenches is bad.  And lastly,  stop giving up 3rd and longs to every Joe Schmo Quarterback.  The Bills D often has trouble stopping 3rd and longs and that can't carry over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s been one preseason game. Let’s wait until at least end of the second before throwing all of our depth under the bus. We’ve got a lot of injuries right now so hopefully come 2nd and 3rd preseason game we’ll see everyone’s best. I bet our 53 man roster will be just as good or better than it has been in years past (outside of safety)

BUT if we look this bad after week 3 of preseason and cut day is fast approaching I may jump on board with you lol