Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

War News GIF by MOODMAN

The OL is a bit concerning. The running game needs to be there for Josh. We can't put it all.on him again. We have to be better.

The Safety position is concerning too. The play calling might not be in Babich's hands for long. They let the Bears go up and down the field with ease. 

Still, it's the first Preseason game. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

War News GIF by MOODMAN

The OL is a bit concerning. The running game needs to be there for Josh. We can't put it all.on him again. We have to be better.

The Safety position is concerning too. The play calling might not be in Babich's hands for long. They let the Bears go up and down the field with ease. 

Still, it's the first Preseason game. 

Do you really think we had a game plan for the Bears? I’m thinking that McD was trying to see how certain players perform in certain scenarios while getting everyone used to playing in pads. The play calling seemed to be as vanilla as could be.

I remember the Bills last year against the Steelers week 1 preseason had the offensive line over exposed (often just 5 blocking) as a sort of “stress test” for the line to see how good they are. I wonder if the Bills did something similar today.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, ghostwriter said:

I bet you we would roll the Bears if we played them again right now with our starters playing instead.

I don't know but the most telling moment that it was a preseason game was that second drive from the bears, they were backed up inside their five and buffalo was still sort of playing them straight up.

in a regular season game with oliver and jones inside and milano on the field they would have come after him with everything...much like the pats game last year.  its moments like that which are the difference in these preseason games.  They are all just running plays.

• Like (+1) 1

I have seen a ton of preseason games in my day, but this may have been one of the most vanilla that I have ever seen.  It was so blah that we purposely kicked it into the end zone as much as we possibly could have so we wouldn't show how we were going to cover kicks.  Even when returning kickoffs, guys were just finding the guy straight ahead of them trying to block them.  I guarantee this will look totally different come opening day.

That said, you saw glimpses of just how big Shakir and Samuel are going to be for this team.  Even with the most conservative play calling possible, you can just see their talent level.  Coleman showed OK for the chances he had, but nothing crazy.  The interior offensive line, especially the left side, was dominated at the point of attack.  Now, there was no game planning, but sometimes you want a man to just be able to move another man and, unfortunately, our men got handled.  But it is what it is....we're not a power running team, so it is hard to gauge what any of this means.  The fact remains, though, as long as Allen is playing is healthy and playing QB for us, we'll find a way to be competitive.  If he misses any time, well, God help us because out backup QBs are not good.

As for the defense, there is not much to take away there.  A lot of the starters didn't play and even the ones who did, weren't out there long enough to feel anything too positive or negative. 

Quite honestly, I am not taking much away from this game at all......except one thing.  John Parry could make a huge difference for us.  McDermott's challenge record is downright embarrassing and has been since he took over as HC.  Today, we were 2 for 2 and both challenges, especially the first one, needed to come fast and correct, and they did.  Hoping that continues because that was a very positive thing.  Of course, no major injuries is the most important thing to come out of the game.

Lots of work to do, but this game was as basic as they could have played it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I wouldn’t say that myself I thought he looked very very average at best

Completely disagree. Ray Davis was solid.

No running back in the NFL would have gotten yardage on those inside runs. There was nothing available.

However, I watched him make a play in the open field that I haven’t seen Devin Singletary, Zach Moss, or even James Cook make. Fantastic contact balance and ability to break a strong form tackle. That’s what we’ve been missing from our backs - shame so many didn’t see it. Hopefully we get a clip from Cover 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I thought Shane Buechele and Joe Andressen were the worst players on the field by far.  

It was funny watching the broadcast and hearing Tasker gush all over him for being the hometown kid, meanwhile he’s out of position on almost every play.  

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Watching that I see the tug it certainly could have been called. I think that little tug that early in the route in the endzone on a ball that may not be catchable is a 50/50 call though. You will get that some games. You won't others. 

Nah man, you can't call that a "little tug" with a straight face. If they're both pushing and tugging on the route I'm fine with a non call. 

If the receiver is already past the DB and wants to go up for the ball, it better be called.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have no opinion on the game one way or another. I remember fans and media losing their minds over the steelers last pre season and hailing Kenny Pickett as the next mvp. How'd that turn out? Pre season is exactly what it is. Pre season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I have no opinion on the game one way or another. I remember fans and media losing their minds over the steelers last pre season and hailing Kenny Pickett as the next mvp. How'd that turn out? Pre season is exactly what it is. Pre season. 

That’s how I view training camp too.  Week 1 is the real first test.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

The O line was just out there running what was scripted. Dont look too hard at that , maybe ?

They just go back this week look at film and see why the run game wasnt working

Today was a teaching moment. Coaches want to see struggle believe it or not LOL

MVS

I said on his first drop

good bye

I'm okay with that

so they will likely keep him

Disagree about the Morris end zone pass. 

Fair… I watched it again and it look like Mitch sailed it on him.  He was open.  

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

if you look close at the 2.5 second mark his jersey is being pulled.  I mean it doesn't matter because the throw is so bad but there was definitely too much contact.

Hes gonna have to learn to play through that cause they definitely aren't calling that in the playoffs.