Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Coleman had his jersey pulled and was getting arm barred as the ball was above and behind him not to mention late.

Going through this is only going to make him better.

i also have a feeling he won't be running alot that in breaking stuff in the endzone and is going to make his living in the back corner and coming back to the ball at the front pylon.  

Would have been nice to see the ball be at least reasonably catchable so he could have had a chance though.

Yeah, we will see. I wasn't focusing on the pass. I was focusing on his route and lack of power through the DB. It's football, guys tug and bump... he looked weak. twice. We will see. I hope he is fine.

Shakir an Samuel look like dawgs!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Last season the OL looked worse in the first preseason game against Pittsburgh.  The same game when it appeared that Kenny Pickett would be a contender to win MVP.  That statement alone says a lot!

What’s more disappointing is that a number of backup players had a chance to step up and make plays and failed:

MVS - 2 drops

Shavers - 1 big drop

Q Morris - lost balance and fell when adjusting for an end zone pass 

Hamler - fumbled a kickoff

Isabella - false start

Kingsley Jonathan - Offside penalty

The entire 2nd and 3rd OL unit- pure crap

Even players like Shane Buechele and Joe Andreesen may have played themselves off the roster with bad performances today.  

Not a good day at all but this game is meaningless

Edited by JohnNord
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Yeah, we will see. I wasn't focusing on the pass. I was focusing on his route and lack of power through the DB. It's football, guys tug and bump... he looked weak. twice. We will see. I hope he is fine.

Shakir an Samuel look like dawgs!!!

Weak?

umm ok.

The wind made the passing game hard at times.  The wind blew a good pass to Shavers behind him as discussed during the broadcast.  

One thing that stood out was that the Bears, who played last week, were in much better rhythm than the Bills.  

Call me when actual football begins and we’ll see if we actually gave something to worry about.  

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hope you are right. What bothered me today is he just missed wide open guys. 

True, but on the flip side he can easily manage the game and has plenty of mobility to compliment the run game/get himself out of precarious situations. He's kind of like Tyrod to me in the sense that the Bills can make the playoffs with him just playing McD's brand of complimentary football.

Good:

* No injuries against competition 

* TB FG kicking in unusual wind

* McDermott challenges

* Turnout by BillsMafia 

Bad:

* Beat in the trenches on both sides 

* Zero push by the OL on running plays

* MVS with a bad drop on an easy catch

* Lack of discipline and penalties 

* Mitch widely inconsistent 

Overall, I still sense we need a big power back added for short yardage added to the RB group. I also hope Edwards heals up soon at Safety.  Entire team seemed flat, unprepared and undisciplined. Also D getting off the field on 3rd and long continues to be a challenge. Thankfully it’s only preseason and everyone came away healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good:

Shakir - Picked up where he left off as a dependable slot option that always manages to pick up sneaky YAC.

Solomon - He showed flashes including as a run defender which was supposed to be an area weakness.

Ray Davis - There wasn't a lot of space to be had in the run game but as a pass catcher I thought he looked right at home. The contact balance showed up.

Samuel - Really just the one play but it was good to immediately see the juice he adds to the offense. Explosive plays downfield will be hard to come by this year, we need his YAC skills to show up.

Bad:

Trubisky - Every ball he throws is half a second or more late. Even the 4th down conversion to Shakir, he was standing wide open for a while and it took Trubisky forever to find him. He airmailed a TD pass to Morris and forced the ball to Coleman twice in the endzone.

The interior OL - Pretty much all of our runs were dead on arrival no matter which string was on the field. I'm especially worried about Edwards/McGovern. We're trying to be a ball control offense but we can't open holes in the run game. It's concerning. Even depth players who looked good last year - namely Anderson, Vandemark, and Gouraige - looked worse today.

Cook - He went down on first contact every time and was directly responsible for Edmunds getting in Allen's face on a blitz. All the camp reports on him have been negative, hopefully it is all a mirage once the real season starts.

MVS - He gets my c'mon man award of the day. The one player you don't want to see drop the ball and he does it on the easiest catch opportunity you'll ever see. I have PTSD from some of the ridiculous drops Allen has dealt with throughout his career, I don't have the stomach for anymore.

I think everyone is making to much of the lack of running game from the starting line.

Had this been a real game they would have had a plan to attack wherever the weakest spot was.  Josh said they only had 3 or 4 running plays even available.  They were basically just calling plays.  It looked from the naked eye the bears were just attacking downhill in the running game and had good fortune that the bills were pulling their left guard on one of the plays to cook that was just wiped out because of the huge gap it left.  

if this were a regular season game and they were attacking like that they would have a bunch of ways to counter that.  Today they just called the next play.  Its preseason football.  The way they were attacking was begging to get screened to death.   

not to mention that is an excellent front 7 vs the run and was number 1 last year.  

If they cant run in september then i will be worried its personnel but for now judging from today this was just basically plays being run and for the first time with real hitting and tackling.  

55 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I thought he was already the #2 back. I don't remember him showing much today, though. None of the backs, really.

RBs could not get it going cuz O line ?

Pass blocking was plenty adequate all game

Poor Quinton Morris i said to my Son

Man I felt bad for him with that throw from Mitch

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hope you are right. What bothered me today is he just missed wide open guys. 

On that pass to Coleman in the endzone, he did not see Ray Davis underneath at the 2 yard line. If he passes to Davis, it would've been a touchdown.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Incomplete day:

Coleman had 1 catch for 7 yards. His two targets in the red zone ended in a near pick, and an incompletion. Was hoping for something more but his QB was Trubisky so this gets an incomplete for me.

Who ya got?

The near pick was a terrible pass by Trubisky and the incompletion Coleman had position and was being held or it was a TD but refs didn't call PI despite the mugging.  What that more egregious was because of the ticky tack call they made on Lewis earlier and then let Coleman get mugged in the endzone with no flag.  

And his catch he ran a great route and got wide open and turned it upfield and made the first down.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The near pick was a terrible pass by Trubisky and the incompletion Coleman had position and was being held or it was a TD but refs didn't call PI despite the mugging.  What that more egregious was because of the ticky tack call they made on Lewis earlier and then let Coleman get mugged in the endzone with no flag.  

And his catch he ran a great route and got wide open and turned it upfield and made the first down.  

I don't think it was PI. I think the defender was just in his hip pocket which he is entitled to be. I thought he did really well to break up the near pick and his snap off on the stop route was nasty. It was an encouraging debut overall but didn't tell us a ton.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think it was PI. I think the defender was just in his hip pocket which he is entitled to be. I thought he did really well to break up the near pick and his snap off on the stop route was nasty. It was an encouraging debut overall but didn't tell us a ton.

if you look close at the 2.5 second mark his jersey is being pulled.  I mean it doesn't matter because the throw is so bad but there was definitely too much contact.

I just find it irritating that we commit so many penalties. The simple game plan, losing, all of that is whatever. But the mental mistakes, lack of discipline is something that can definitely carry over into the regular season. Since 2018 the Bills have been 6th, 9th, 6th, 6th, 16th and 7th in penalties committed. That's a reflection of coaching in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think those were bad throws. Coleman is going to learn from those opportunities, I'm sure. The second one also looked like a clear PI on the DB to me, so I think he should get some of those called in season. He's very shifty and physical at the same time.

Good game:

Groot, Bernard, Elam on defense

Shakir, Samuel, and the pass blocking on offense.

Bass hitting FGs despite a decent wind.

Bad game:

The run blocking looked terrible, but we already know they can run, based on last year. I think they'll get it ironed out for the regular season.

Trubisky - absolutely terrible miss to Morris that should've been an easy TD. The guy always shows why his ceiling is only backup level. He should follow AJ McCaron to the USFL and just be a starter there.

FWIW watching it live in the stadium I thought Morris stumbled and made the throw look far worse than it was. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was obvious PI. You can't hold a guy down from behind as he's trying to jump up for the ball.

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

if you look close at the 2.5 second mark his jersey is being pulled.  I mean it doesn't matter because the throw is so bad but there was definitely too much contact.

Pretty clearly gets tugged on the jersey near his collar in the front. Caused his body to actually turn back toward the DB when he was turning to face the passer.

Maybe the DB gets lucky in the regular season, but I think if a ref sees that they will call it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1