Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

The bad : Just to hammer home the point, what is probably your 2 starting running backs had a combined 4 yards on 9 carries..a very unimpressive .44 yards per carry.

The badder:  Depth..as bad as the starting o-line appeared today, I think they will get their act together.  However, unlike last year, chances are someone will get injured, and most of the backups are VERY inimpressive (see: backup linebackers Chiefs playoff game last year)...fear much of the same with the safeties.

28 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Some backups are more like coach’s assistant rather than actual competition or best available player. Mitch is here to help josh. If josh goes down the season is over so who cares. 

to me, that’s your third stringer. I want my backup to come in and play .500

ball. 

• Agree 1

Good:

Shakir - Picked up where he left off as a dependable slot option that always manages to pick up sneaky YAC.

Solomon - He showed flashes including as a run defender which was supposed to be an area weakness.

Ray Davis - There wasn't a lot of space to be had in the run game but as a pass catcher I thought he looked right at home. The contact balance showed up.

Samuel - Really just the one play but it was good to immediately see the juice he adds to the offense. Explosive plays downfield will be hard to come by this year, we need his YAC skills to show up.

Bad:

Trubisky - Every ball he throws is half a second or more late. Even the 4th down conversion to Shakir, he was standing wide open for a while and it took Trubisky forever to find him. He airmailed a TD pass to Morris and forced the ball to Coleman twice in the endzone.

The interior OL - Pretty much all of our runs were dead on arrival no matter which string was on the field. I'm especially worried about Edwards/McGovern. We're trying to be a ball control offense but we can't open holes in the run game. It's concerning. Even depth players who looked good last year - namely Anderson, Vandemark, and Gouraige - looked worse today.

Cook - He went down on first contact every time and was directly responsible for Edmunds getting in Allen's face on a blitz. All the camp reports on him have been negative, hopefully it is all a mirage once the real season starts.

MVS - He gets my c'mon man award of the day. The one player you don't want to see drop the ball and he does it on the easiest catch opportunity you'll ever see. I have PTSD from some of the ridiculous drops Allen has dealt with throughout his career, I don't have the stomach for anymore.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

Some backups are more like coach’s assistant rather than actual competition or best available player. Mitch is here to help josh. If josh goes down the season is over so who cares. 

And…Trubisky is about average backup level QB in the NFL.  There aren’t even 32 good starting QBs in the league, let alone plentiful starting caliber backups.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Cook - He went down on first contact every time and was directly responsible for Edmunds getting in Allen's face on a blitz. All the camp reports on him have been negative, hopefully it is all a mirage once the real season starts.

I might be a little worried, but he also strikes me as an Allen Iverson type.

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

I mean, he was 4th overall in yards from scrimmage last year. I don't think anyone was too disappointed with his play, besides the overly negative people.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Pre-season doesn’t matter.  The Bills went to the SB after not wInning a single pre-season game.  

2. FYI: This was the Bears 2nd game. 

3. No major injuries I think.  That’s the best news.

4. Shakir is going to have a great season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Good day:

Samuel, Shakir, Josh. Brady for playing vanilla.

Bad Day:

O line run blocking on first 2 series.

Coleman - The buzz about him not being able to separate was on point today. The 2 passes to him in the redzone/endzone - he looked like a boy vs men. Hope that changes.

Elam - Always right there. That is, once the wr HAS MADE THE CATCH. He is #3 for sure and I hope we make a move for a CB.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Dillenger4 said:

Good day:

Samuel, Shakir, Josh. Brady for playing vanilla.

Bad Day:

O line run blocking on first 2 series.

Coleman - The buzz about him not being able to separate was on point today. The 2 passes to him in the redzone/endzone - he looked like a boy vs men. Hope that changes.

Elam - Always right there. That is, once the wr HAS MADE THE CATCH. He is #3 for sure and I hope we make a move for a CB.

Coleman had his jersey pulled and was getting arm barred as the ball was above and behind him not to mention late.

Going through this is only going to make him better.

i also have a feeling he won't be running alot that in breaking stuff in the endzone and is going to make his living in the back corner and coming back to the ball at the front pylon.  

Would have been nice to see the ball be at least reasonably catchable so he could have had a chance though.

• Like (+1) 1