Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Hard to say Chase Claypool is winning anything. Is he healthy yet?

Nope, but that means he's not taking steps back, unlike...

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Hamler dropped a high pass from Buechele, but he showed value in the return game. MVS and Josh have had good chemistry in camp. It's not like these two are amazing, but there's nothing to me that indicates Claypool is winning.

Hamler dropped a pass and muffed a kickoff. The latter is his ticket on this team and you know how McDermott loves his Special Teams.

MVS furthered his reputation as he dropped an absolute gimme of a pass yesterday (can we just call him Clifford Franklin???)... plus he doesn't play Special Teams, unlike Claypool.

I normally do a good night / bad night thread for every pre-season game but this weekend was pretty hectic so happy to stick my thoughts here belatedly:

Good night (slim pickings....)

Javon Solomon - I think if there was any element of him being in a battle for a roster spot at the start of camp that is now settled. He makes it. Okay, Von didn't play, so you have one edge to come back but it was significant that he was on the second line opposite Smoot rather than Kinglsey Jonathan who had been rotating in with him in camp and has been in the system longer. Solomon had two nice tackles and held up better at the point of attack vs the run than I feared he would in the NFL. Okay, it's only pre-season, but he was our most impressive DLman on the night and Jonathan had some mistakes and penalties that further solidifies Solomon's spot IMO. 

Tylan Grable - A bit like Solomon in that he is a day 3 pick who is in a battle for a roster spot. While I think his probably isn't nailed down yet it also felt significant that he started with the 2nd team offensive line at right tackle. La'el Collins who I think they hoped was some vet tackle insurance when they signed him played (and not well) at left guard which suggests to me they have given up on him as a tackle option. It's worrying for our vet depth on the line but I thought Grable was probably the best lineman on show. He has a super high ceiling. I'd like them to try and develop him this year so that they are not forced into paying Spencer Brown if that price rises quickly this season. 

Kendall Williamson - I know he had the stupid late hit out of bounds that brought a flag and extended a drive. But I thought aside from that he played a good game. Was active in the box, had a nice solo tackle in space at the second level and a good pass break up in a 2 deep look. We obviously have injuries at safety and there is an opportunity for someone to potentially step up. He has given himself a real outside shot at the roster, but at least was one guy I circled as "would want back on the practice squad."

Frank Gore Jnr - He had no chance at the roster beforehand and he still has no chance now. But I thought he kept running hard in a forlorn effort, had a couple of nice dump off receptions and looked like a pro. That is going to get him on a practice squad somewhere. If you have to put him into a game he is going to know the playbook, understand his protection responsibilities and do his job. His athletic limitations are there for all to see - he is small and he is slow but he showed enough to stick in the league for a couple of years even if he is unlikely to ever be an active roster guy.

Joe Andreessen - I wouldn't have mentioned him if there was more good to reflect on. But in the absence of it this kid lived his dream on Saturday night and played at Highmark Stadium as a Buffalo Bill. It might be the only time it happens, and while he was active and all effort he was clearly short of the required talent level, but it was a cool moment for him. 

Bad Night (how long have you got....)

The starting offensive line - that was rough. I know a lot have focussed on the Edwards-McGovern axis but I thought the right side was terrible. That was where the improvement in the line came from last season, but Brown and Torrence were either not communicating well or half assing it because it seemed like a guy was penetrating from that side within a second of the snap every play. 

Sam Martin - he had a couple of really nice punts but two absolute shanks too. You can't have two sub 40 yard punts in a game that are not intentional pooch punts. I know he was complaining about the wind moving the ball as he dropped it onto his foot but you are the punter in Buffalo. Newsflash - it gets windy. He struggled at the end of last season but was carrying injuries and they maybe gave him a pass. He worries me going into the season. 

Dorian Williams - I know he had a tackle for loss and a sack. Two of the few splash plays by the Bills defense. But what was keeping him off the field last year wasn't an inability to make splash plays. It was the inability to make the routine play. He is out of position all the freaking time and a couple of those big early runs the Bears broke he was out of his lane. He is an athletic freak, if they can channel it there is a player there. But McDermott won't put him on the field when he is so consistently not in his spot. 

Valdez-Scantling and KJ Hamler - If these guys went into the night as indicative WR5 and WR6/7 on the depth chart then neither helped solidify those spots. MVS had 1 target and 1 horrible drop. Hamler muffed a punt and had a drop of his own. The positive for the two of them is none of the other guys competing for a spot at receiver did anything either. Beyond Shakir and Samuel who are locks and a little flash from Coleman on one play there was not much encouraging about the receiver room. 

The backup Quarterbacks - I have been a defender of the deal to bring back Trubisky but he was awful on Saturday. He didn't throw a pick but there were two that probably should have been. He did at least manage to move the offense a bit though. The third stringer Shane Buechele who Brandon Beane has been telling anyone who will listen has "had a great camp" looked to me like a guy who does not belong on an NFL field even in a pre-season game. Worrying. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Worried about James Cook overall.  Dancing behind the line of scrimmage and missing that blitz pickup on Saturday.  Training camp reports of continued concentration drops that were a killer last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

On 8/10/2024 at 4:31 PM, LeGOATski said:

It's a little bit of a stretch to frame Morse's release like that. They didn't make changes just for the sake of making changes. His contract was coming up, he's 32 years old and showing decline, and he was due a hefty amount at a time when the Bills were trying to reload and sign impact players at other, more needy positions. He was just an average player that they knew they shouldn't have much trouble replacing. His strength was pass blocking and the Bills' pass locking looked fine today. Morse wasn't a great run blocker. I think it's a wash.

I understand the reasons Brandon Beane released Morse. 

There are also legitimate reasons they maybe should have kept him, such as leadership and continuity.  You can't just look at a player 30+ with an expiring contract and say that automatically makes the GM smart for cutting him.  Only time will tell.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Worried about James Cook overall.  Dancing behind the line of scrimmage and missing that blitz pickup on Saturday.  Training camp reports of continued concentration drops that were a killer last year. 

He definitely does not have his head on straight this offseason for whatever reason - just not focused.  Needs to fix it ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Naw. that just good football Mike

Homerism

Calling it now

LOL jk Cincy

Cool.

Bills Db's should pull the backs of jerseys when they are beat to the inside this season then.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The backup Quarterbacks - I have been a defender of the deal to bring back Trubisky but he was awful on Saturday. He didn't throw a pick but there were two that probably should have been. He did at least manage to move the offense a bit though. The third stringer Shane Buechele who Brandon Beane has been telling anyone who will listen has "had a great camp" looked to me like a guy who does not belong on an NFL field even in a pre-season game. Worrying. 

Shane Buechele looked solid when he led the Kansas City Chiefs in a few preseason games in 2021-2023 (which i assume prompted the Bills to sign him).  Just another example of how elite Andy Reid is at getting QBs prepared, even in vanilla preseason.  For the Bills Saturday he looked terrible.

My problem with Trubisky is that he's a game manager, and just an average one.  He elevates nobody on offense.  There's not one player on offense who will look better because Mitch is out there dialing up plays and dropping dimes on the run, because he doesn't.  Last year the Bengals had that Jake Browning dude who played awesome.  If Allen gets hurt for any period of time forget about it... 

Edited by zow2

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

giphy.gif

Hamler dropped a pass and muffed a kickoff. The latter is his ticket on this team and you know how McDermott loves his Special Teams.

MVS furthered his reputation as he dropped an absolute gimme of a pass yesterday (can we just call him Clifford Franklin???)... plus he doesn't play Special Teams, unlike Claypool.

That's fair, but there's nowhere to go down to. Those are the last two guys besides Claypool and Shavers. 

Shavers is winning more than Claypool is, if you're saying anyone's status is moving based solely on other players' performances.

21 hours ago, 5ths the charm said:

Need a big RB?? Isn't that our fullback?

Meaning on 3rd or 4th and short I’m not that confident that our RB has the size and physicality to pick it up. It would be nice not to have to rely on Josh in those situations. Our current FB is more of a blocking TE. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's fair, but there's nowhere to go down to. Those are the last two guys besides Claypool and Shavers. 

Shavers is winning more than Claypool is, if you're saying anyone's status is moving based solely on other players' performances.

Shavers also dropped a pass on Saturday 

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah, I don't think he moved the needle at all. Camp performance carries more weight right now than the limited action these guys had in the game. Claypool is not a winner in this scenario, since he's completely unavailable. He's done virtually zero.

• Agree 2

On 8/10/2024 at 10:20 PM, FireChans said:

Has to do with if we get the calls or not. Which is what I said.

I’m not sure what you want from me. Coleman didn’t change my opinion of him as a player today. It was also his first live action NFL game of his career so he’s got plenty of time left. I don’t know what “spin” you’re referring to, but I honestly don’t care lol.

Well this game certainly had an example of our opponent getting the calls that we don’t get.🤦‍♂️

21 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Eh

First- Tough to see the angles on broadcast  first of all so it might not even matter

But imo he lets the defender off easy, doesn't look like great technique imo... coleman needs to stem him right there on the goal line instead of slanting in once hes got the DBs hips square...one more vertical step into him and then snap off the route across to create space

Sure he will learn to defend against a "defender" Part of the learning curve. That's fair

7 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Meaning on 3rd or 4th and short I’m not that confident that our RB has the size and physicality to pick it up. It would be nice not to have to rely on Josh in those situations. Our current FB is more of a blocking TE. 

Davis might be able to get in between tackles and get push. But that will be up to the O line really. Expect Connor to do better than Morse there. Preseason not withstanding :)

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

oh god we suck. got nothing. And I mean nothing .....lol

19 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Harsh drop though. That was on Trubisky. Ball was unnecessarily left behind him. Woulda been a touch catch moving one way and reaching back behind yourself. 

On 8/12/2024 at 9:03 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Availability is the best ability. Claypool onto IR for the year. He is done. 

On 8/12/2024 at 5:45 AM, Doc Brown said:

So, 'C.J. Spiller 2024'? 🤔