Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

This is my concern. 

Yeah, I get it, the game doesn't count. Score doesn't matter. But seeing our depth get completely outplayed in every facet is never what you are hoping to see. And it is a stark contrast to what we have seen from McBeane in prior years.

most who played in the 2nd half won't be on the team

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

I know - I'm over reacting. But yes, he did look weak on his feet. One bump on him and he was stumbling. Go back and watch it. Anyway, it's preseason but his routes were weak. Baldy said the same thing in his stream for what it's worth.

Bingo. Brian Baldy saying same thing. Theres something to Coleman "can't separate and get open" talk. I saw it in 2 routes yesterday. Pre season hopefully. But it's basic WR stuff. We will see with fingers crossed, which sucks.

I think he can, but I saw the same thing you did yesterday.  He just has to be stronger.  The one in the end zone was particularly egregious.  If he could have just had a little strength to shield the corner, it's a touchdown. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/10/2024 at 6:22 PM, MikePJ76 said:

if you look close at the 2.5 second mark his jersey is being pulled.  I mean it doesn't matter because the throw is so bad but there was definitely too much contact.

Naw. that just good football Mike

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Why are people surprised that in their first live game, against a team that was playing their 2nd live game, the IOL which has seen an almost complete overhaul struggled to execute the run?  This will be easily worked out by the opening game.

Homerism

Calling it now

LOL jk Cincy

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/10/2024 at 5:13 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Bad all around for me, especially the O line.

Now.. Not panicking as it's only pre season- But I didn't really feel like anyone played well.

Maybe Elam a bright spot? As he seemed to have tight coverage on a few plays

I have to agree about no one played well.  I watched most of the other NFL preseason games and at least most of the other teams were competitive and ORGANIZED! The Bills looked like a mess overall.  Maybe all the new coaches?

• Like (+1) 1

The Good:

-I went for free.

-Got to spend time with my Dad.

-Went to Bar Bill East, afterwards, and watched the USA defeat France for the gold medal in basketball.

-Beef on Weck there is still legendary.

-No injuries to major players.

-The weather.

The Bad:

-Everything else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Naw. that just good football Mike

Homerism

Calling it now

LOL jk Cincy

Eh

First- Tough to see the angles on broadcast  first of all so it might not even matter

But imo he lets the defender off easy, doesn't look like great technique imo... coleman needs to stem him right there on the goal line instead of slanting in once hes got the DBs hips square...one more vertical step into him and then snap off the route across to create space

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Eh

First- Tough to see the angles on broadcast  first of all so it might not even matter

But imo he lets the defender off easy, doesn't look like great technique imo... coleman needs to stem him right there on the goal line instead of slanting in once hes got the DBs hips square...one more vertical step into him and then snap off the route across to create space

Or Tribusky could have put the ball out in front of him where he had some space instead of throwing it high and behind him allowing the DB to close that little space that was there.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Or Tribusky could have put the ball out in front of him where he had some space instead of throwing it high and behind him allowing the DB to close that little space that was there.

I'm not commenting on the throw because haven't seen the all 22

Just talking about technique on the route

On 8/10/2024 at 5:15 PM, Shortchaz said:

Some backups are more like coach’s assistant rather than actual competition or best available player. Mitch is here to help josh. If josh goes down the season is over so who cares. 

Yeah, but what if Josh is out only for a few games? Would be nice to win 1 or 2 of them instead of going 0-3. Trubisky is trash. I wish they would’ve got a developmental QB in the draft who they potentially could use as trade bait down the road. 

Can't be too pleased with the lack of energy and focus, especially by anyone who's not guaranteed a roster spot.  

However, I get that there is a significant Catch-22 to the first preseason game for the guys who are on the fringe of the roster or practice squad.  You can play hard, but get hurt, and get cut Monday morning. 

It's preseason, simple as that.

Scheming/gameplanning each week is obviously super important, and not happening right now.  All teams are keeping things very simple in preseason. But some might be mixing in more "looks"/etc. 

For example, Bears mixed in quite a few stunts with their DL, also some "A gap" pressure looks.  Josh seemed to stick with the playcall, rather than audible, highly likely due to Brady wanting to see specific run game execution.   

Not an excuse, we were outplayed and way too many penalties.

I'd like to see more energy and far less penalties next week.  Win or lose doesn't matter, but we got very little evaluation of our depth WRs.  We know our likely top 4.  Be good to see more consistency with Trubisky.  And getting a look at key depth roles.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DeepPass said:

I have to agree about no one played well.  I watched most of the other NFL preseason games and at least most of the other teams were competitive and ORGANIZED! The Bills looked like a mess overall.  Maybe all the new coaches?

Wait, you not only watched this preseason game, but most of the other ones too?! You and I like to spend our time very differently 

11 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Quick question:

Bills players, media and fans always say that Bills don’t game plan at all in the preseason.  Keep everything Vanilla.

Does that imply that other teams do game plan and just Bills don’t?

It was Chicago’s second game, they are further along in the process.

On 8/10/2024 at 5:06 PM, LeGOATski said:

I don't think those were bad throws. Coleman is going to learn from those opportunities, I'm sure. The second one also looked like a clear PI on the DB to me, so I think he should get some of those called in season. He's very shifty and physical at the same time.

Good game:

Groot, Bernard, Elam on defense

Shakir, Samuel, and the pass blocking on offense.

Bass hitting FGs despite a decent wind.

Bad game:

The run blocking looked terrible, but we already know they can run, based on last year. I think they'll get it ironed out for the regular season.

Trubisky - absolutely terrible miss to Morris that should've been an easy TD. The guy always shows why his ceiling is only backup level. He should follow AJ McCaron to the USFL and just be a starter there.

LOL talk about all time terrible advice.

Those USFL/XFL guys make literally like 1/10th of what a back up in the NFL makes. AJ McCarron made like $100k in the USFL in 2022 and $1.165M in 2023. He was on the practice squad and was active for 2 total games. 

Trubisky's contract with Buffalo has $2.5M guaranteed. 

Edited by Mango

Joe Marino did an all-22 breakdown of the offense. Very good watch:

Early issues he blames on timing kinks with the OL and a couple mistakes by Cook. He shows that Coleman's route running technique needs work in the red zone. He likes what SVPG and Grable showed.

• Thank you (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

LOL talk about all time terrible advice.

Those USFL/XFL guys make literally like 1/10th of what a back up in the NFL makes. AJ McCarron made like $100k in the USFL in 2022 and $1.165M in 2023. He was on the practice squad and was active for 2 total games. 

Trubisky's contract with Buffalo has $2.5M guaranteed. 

I mean, obviously. It was kind of tongue in cheek. 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Early issues he blames on timing kinks with the OL and a couple mistakes by Cook. He shows that Coleman's route running technique needs work in the red zone. He likes what SVPG and Grable showed.

👍At some point this season it's probably going to be time to talk about Knox too

He just gets lost out there for no reason, he's a veteran at this point... Watch shakirs catch. Trubisky starts out on his side but he just casually jogs straight into Edmunds

• Agree 1

Did anyone mention the 2 most obvious winners from yesterday?

I'm guessing yes... but I don't want to look through 10 pages, so just in case:

1) McDermott hiring John Perry to take care of challenges. Won both and neither looked from the broadcast like they should have been challenged.

2) Chase Claypool. If he can get healthy is there a single fan who prefers MVS over him??? Plus Hamler and Shavers didn't do themselves any favors yesterday with drops. I hope he can get on the field this week. I'm starting to prefer Isabella over MVS and maybe Hamler if it came down to it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Did anyone mention the 2 most obvious winners from yesterday?

I'm guessing yes... but I don't want to look through 10 pages, so just in case:

1) McDermott hiring John Perry to take care of challenges. Won both and neither looked from the broadcast like they should have been challenged.

2) Chase Claypool. If he can get healthy is there a single fan who prefers MVS over him??? Plus Hamler and Shavers didn't do themselves any favors yesterday with drops. I hope he can get on the field this week. I'm starting to prefer Isabella over MVS and maybe Hamler if it came down to it.

Hard to say Chase Claypool is winning anything. Is he healthy yet?

Hamler dropped a high pass from Buechele, but he showed value in the return game. MVS and Josh have had good chemistry in camp. It's not like these two are amazing, but there's nothing to me that indicates Claypool is winning.

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Great stuff from those two young OLs. That's awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Same thing but for the defense:

Little more of a grab bag than the first video. Things that stood out are - Austin Johnson showing up on a few plays, looking like a good depth signing. On the first 3rd and long conversion Carter and Johnson rush the same gap, whoops. Dorian Williams bites hard on play action which directly leads to a big completion. Run defense overall looks very sound.

• Like (+1) 1