Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Our 2s and 3s have never looked that bad in the McDermott era IMO.

This is my concern. 

Yeah, I get it, the game doesn't count. Score doesn't matter. But seeing our depth get completely outplayed in every facet is never what you are hoping to see. And it is a stark contrast to what we have seen from McBeane in prior years.

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

You expected my opinion to change on Keon because he now plays in a Bills uni. That’s not how it works with objectivity. I didn’t like him predraft, you can go look it up. 

I gave him an incomplete grade because I didn’t see much from him today. He had ONE positive play in the game. It was his first game and he’s competing for potentially being WR1.  Like wtf are you even talking about with this “had a great camp.” It’s irrelevant to the topic. 

I thought he did a nice job of coming back and getting the separation to make that catch.   Doggy days of summer

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is my concern. 

Yeah, I get it, the game doesn't count. Score doesn't matter. But seeing our depth get completely outplayed in every facet is never what you are hoping to see. And it is a stark contrast to what we have seen from McBeane in prior years.

Imo, If this also happens in week 2 and 3- then maaaaaybe there’s something to worry about.  The Steeler game last year was abysmal-  and we got the 2 seed. 

• Agree 1

People have to remember our 2s and 3s were against both the Bears complete offense and their defense for all of the first while the Bills played a mix of guys who were starters, depth, and bubble players. 

It was 6-3 late in the 3rd and the guys who are going to get cut let it blow wide open 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Our 2s and 3s have never looked that bad in the McDermott era IMO. In fact we have often been the victors in those scenarios. Where the 1s v 1s it has been a vanilla nothing burger and then the Bills 2s and 3s have smashed up the opposition 2s and 3s. What you are seeing now is what a year of cap constriction does to the back end of a roster. 

Last year against the Steelers?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just kind of weird that no player on the Bills stood out in a good way in the game.  Usually, there are at least a few good performances, even in a preseason game where we lost by a lot.

• Agree 3

Why are people surprised that in their first live game, against a team that was playing their 2nd live game, the IOL which has seen an almost complete overhaul struggled to execute the run?  This will be easily worked out by the opening game.

20 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Good:

* No injuries against competition 

* TB FG kicking in unusual wind

* McDermott challenges

* Turnout by BillsMafia 

Bad:

* Beat in the trenches on both sides 

* Zero push by the OL on running plays

* MVS with a bad drop on an easy catch

* Lack of discipline and penalties 

* Mitch widely inconsistent 

Overall, I still sense we need a big power back added for short yardage added to the RB group. I also hope Edwards heals up soon at Safety.  Entire team seemed flat, unprepared and undisciplined. Also D getting off the field on 3rd and long continues to be a challenge. Thankfully it’s only preseason and everyone came away healthy.

Need a big RB?? Isn't that our fullback?

19 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Why are people surprised that in their first live game, against a team that was playing their 2nd live game, the IOL which has seen an almost complete overhaul struggled to execute the run?  This will be easily worked out by the opening game.

I have been concerned about the Edwards/McGovern combo in the run game for a while now. Their preseason reps didn't create a new concern, it added fuel to a previously existing concern. That concern is compounded by the fact we are likely to be a ball control offense, and ball control is a tough style to win with when you can't consistently run inside.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

It’s been one preseason game. Let’s wait until at least end of the second before throwing all of our depth under the bus. We’ve got a lot of injuries right now so hopefully come 2nd and 3rd preseason game we’ll see everyone’s best. I bet our 53 man roster will be just as good or better than it has been in years past (outside of safety)

BUT if we look this bad after week 3 of preseason and cut day is fast approaching I may jump on board with you lol

I think our 1s are still competitive. In previous years we could 2 deep with any team in the league IMO. Not sure we are there now. 

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Last year against the Steelers?

Oh this was worse. That was our first pre season defeat in like 20 games or something. But this was much worse.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Does anyone on here think that other posters do NOT know this was a preseason game? Trust me…..we ALL know. But that doesn’t change the fact that the team played like a total dumpster fire. Not sure why folks thinks it’s somehow unacceptable to point it out. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Trubisky is better than Kyle Allen. Kyle Allen truly sucks. 

Oh Trubisky truly sucks too.   He truly sucks a bit less........but he's not only awful........he is also durable enough to lose 17 straight games for you.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Does anyone on here think that other posters do NOT know this was a preseason game? Trust me…..we ALL know. But that doesn’t change the fact that the team played like a total dumpster fire. Not sure why folks thinks it’s somehow unacceptable to point it out. 

It’s fine to point out how we didn’t play well with specifics on what we’d like to see improved but to over exaggerate the level of concern on our potential 53 man roster off of the first preseason game is ludicrous. 

Most of these guys that played game one won’t make the team. Like I stated before I’m confident at the end of preseason, we will have good depth as per usual at every position except safety 

The most important thing I saw yesterday besides Josh staying healthy was McD actually being a competent HC by focusing on in game decision. He keeps doing that all season and doesn’t micromanage the coordinators and I may change my tune on him needing to go.

I don’t want to see any more botched games because of 12 men on the field, Hamlin fake punts, and not letting your superstar QB win a game in regulation in a tie game with time on the clock.

Outside of coaching we need only a couple things to go our way and I see us getting to at least the AFC championship game

- Josh stays healthy all season

- Von and Milano are close to their old form all season 

Stay focused McD on game management and we’ve got a shot to win it all this year

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Weak?

umm ok.

I know - I'm over reacting. But yes, he did look weak on his feet. One bump on him and he was stumbling. Go back and watch it. Anyway, it's preseason but his routes were weak. Baldy said the same thing in his stream for what it's worth.

22 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

If you're talking about Coleman in the back of the end zone, agreed all day long. He needs to be stronger there. 

Bingo. Brian Baldy saying same thing. Theres something to Coleman "can't separate and get open" talk. I saw it in 2 routes yesterday. Pre season hopefully. But it's basic WR stuff. We will see with fingers crossed, which sucks.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think our 1s are still competitive. In previous years we could 2 deep with any team in the league IMO. Not sure we are there now. 

Oh this was worse. That was our first pre season defeat in like 20 games or something. But this was much worse.

I think it's probably time for a thread about who the Bills might be looking to trade for or poach from other teams cuts to deepen this roster.   They are a little short of 53 NFL players that you can resonably expect to make it thru a season.   That's where they are at.   WR5 and LB4 are positions that look like they should be able to upgrade relatively easily.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Our 2s and 3s have never looked that bad in the McDermott era IMO. In fact we have often been the victors in those scenarios. Where the 1s v 1s it has been a vanilla nothing burger and then the Bills 2s and 3s have smashed up the opposition 2s and 3s. What you are seeing now is what a year of cap constriction does to the back end of a roster. 

Against the Steelers last season they looked even worse IMO and that was in the 2nd preseason game.  The Bills were down 14 - 0 at the end of the 1st quarter while playing their starters.  It was 21 - 0 at the half and 27 - 0 at the end of the 3rd quarter.  The only players to do better in last preseason's dud game were the 3rd & 4th stringers who mostly did not make the 53 man roster.

And given the turnover in players this season it's not surprising that coming out of the gate in 2024 the Bills would be flat and get stomped in the 4th quarter by a team that had already played a preseson game.

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think it's probably time for a thread about who the Bills might be looking to trade for or poach from other teams cuts to deepen this roster.   They are a little short of 53 NFL players that you can resonably expect to make it thru a season.   That's where they are at.   WR5 and LB4 are positions that look like they should be able to upgrade relatively easily.  

Id say LB3. Jesus Williams was rough. I was on my sofa and closer to plays than him. Christ alive. He is physically talented but he has no idea what he is doing. 

• Agree 2