Good Day Bad Day - Preseason week 1

FireChans

Who do we got on good day/bad day from our drubbing in preseason week 1?

Good day:

Bass hitting kicks in live action

Curtis Samuel/OL popping on a screen 

Josh for sliding (and immediately getting yanked lmao)

Shakir had a couple good plays

Solomon also had a good day for a situational pass rusher.

Bad day:

Starting IOL run blocking. Woof. Morse was gotten rid of because of his contract but that was like watching Chris Jones collapse the inside single-handedly

Cam Lewis had his usual “always around when something bad happens” appearance

Pass rush was overall poor, but they lost Ed immediately so I lean to give this a pass, Caleb also looked like the real deal. 

Incomplete day:

Coleman had 1 catch for 7 yards. His two targets in the red zone ended in a near pick, and an incompletion. Was hoping for something more but his QB was Trubisky so this gets an incomplete for me.

Who ya got?

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Incomplete day:

Coleman had 1 catch for 7 yards. His two targets in the red zone ended in a near pick, and an incompletion. Was hoping for something more but his QB was Trubisky so this gets an incomplete for me.

I don't think those were bad throws. Coleman is going to learn from those opportunities, I'm sure. The second one also looked like a clear PI on the DB to me, so I think he should get some of those called in season. He's very shifty and physical at the same time.

Good game:

Groot, Bernard, Elam on defense

Shakir, Samuel, and the pass blocking on offense.

Bass hitting FGs despite a decent wind.

Bad game:

The run blocking looked terrible, but we already know they can run, based on last year. I think they'll get it ironed out for the regular season.

Trubisky - absolutely terrible miss to Morris that should've been an easy TD. The guy always shows why his ceiling is only backup level. He should follow AJ McCaron to the USFL and just be a starter there.

• Like (+1) 1

Two views:

#1. It is a preseason game. The goal is to find out the backend of the roster and work out some kinks.

#2. The Bears scored 33 points, the offensive line was Swiss cheese, and the defense never rattled any of the 4 quarterbacks the Bears played.

Verdict: It's a preseason game, and the Bills got a few major kinks to work out in the next 3 weeks.

Edited by Wizard
  • Sad 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

One positive I haven't seen so far was Ray Davis. He looks like a pretty complete back and could be replacing Ty Johnson as the #2 RB sooner than later. 

I thought he was already the #2 back. I don't remember him showing much today, though. None of the backs, really.

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bad day: Trubisky. I don’t understand how that guy can be on an NFL roster.

Some backups are more like coach’s assistant rather than actual competition or best available player. Mitch is here to help josh. If josh goes down the season is over so who cares. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I thought he was already the #2 back. I don't remember him showing much today, though. None of the backs, really.

He had a 9 yard run called back by penalty and showed good ability to catch the ball as a check down option.

• Like (+1) 1

The Good:

The majority of media talk surrounding the Bills has been about the loss of Stefon Diggs.  Between the training camp reports and the little bit we saw today, my worries about that position have very quickly disappeared.  I'm becoming very confident that between Dalton Kincaid, Khalil Shakir, Curtis Samuel and Keon Coleman, we will have enough weapons to make this work.

The Bad:

Our slight reshuffling of the O-Line didn't get so much attention.  I'm hoping we don't end up regretting cutting Mitch Morse.  Last year was the first time in many years I felt our blocking was better than "average" and was actually a plus.  So of course we couldn't resist making changes.  Today's performance was absolutely terrible.  No push in the run game, and constant pressure on the QB.  

Incomplete:

I'm not thinking much can be pulled from today on the Defensive side of the ball.  Our pass rush was non-existent.  But we didn't have 3 starters (Von Miller, Daquan Jones, Ed Oliver), and the looks were very vanilla.  Tackling was also pretty weak, but again.. no Matt Milano.  The rest of the starters were pulled after one drive, and the Bears still only had six points at the half.  All the scoring happened against the guys who aren't making the team anyway.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Bad:

Our slight reshuffling of the O-Line didn't get so much attention.  I'm hoping we don't end up regretting cutting Mitch Morse.  Last year was the first time in many years I felt our blocking was better than "average" and was actually a plus.  So of course we couldn't resist making changes.  Today's performance was absolutely terrible.  No push in the run game, and constant pressure on the QB.  

It's a little bit of a stretch to frame Morse's release like that. They didn't make changes just for the sake of making changes. His contract was coming up, he's 32 years old and showing decline, and he was due a hefty amount at a time when the Bills were trying to reload and sign impact players at other, more needy positions. He was just an average player that they knew they shouldn't have much trouble replacing. His strength was pass blocking and the Bills' pass locking looked fine today. Morse wasn't a great run blocker. I think it's a wash.

• Disagree 1